PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Beginners dress sewing

Options
Hello, not sure if this is the place to put this post.

I inherited a sewing machine which I can basically use - I've made bunting, cushion covers and the like. And, about 12 years ago I made a skirt and dress but had a nightmare with zips and gave up.

I would like another go at sewing and want to make a simple dress. I know sleeves are hard but I like sleeves. But I'm struggling to find any patterns - there are too many out there and I find choosing so daunting that it's put me off.

Has anyone got any hints and tips of where to start. I've worked with jersey and satin backed crepe in the past , but I just want to make an unlined basic dress.

Comments

• camelot1001
    Options
    Just beginning myself Gwendolyn so can't help but am looking forward to replies!
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    One of the best ways to identify a truly simple pattern is to look at the line drawings (often found on the back) and pick one that has very few lines--that means fewer seams. The reason that is simpler isn't just that it is about fewer seams but that it will also have less fitted tailoring which will make it far easier.

There are a lot of free patterns online, but honestly I have to admit that I sometimes find them more trouble than they're worth. You don't always know if it is well drafted until you're in the middle of it, the instructions are frequently unreliable and sometimes they presume a certain level of knowledge. You also get people publishing patterns drafted for their specific body--we all have our unique little foibles but it is easier to work with a pattern designed for the 'average' body of your size than one drafted for someone specific who isn't you. Until you've made several things and can spot errors and know the basic process of assembling a garment, I'd suggest starting with some of the simpler patterns from the major pattern houses--things like burda, simplicity, new look, kwicksew, Mccalls and butterick. You'll notice most of those are owned by the same companies. I think there is a sale on Simplicity brands at the moment.

If you aren't a standard size, get a pattern in your high bust measurement. It is FAR easier to adjust everything else as long as that part fits.

Zippers are notorious. Sleeves are also notorious but I don't think they're that bad. Collars can also be tricky, but not one of these things can't be taken out and done again if you aren't happy with the result. Woven fabrics are easiest to work with, particularly non-slippery ones. Make sure you press all seams and treat yourself to a new seam ripper.

Good luck!
  • jfdi
    jfdi Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Something from here - http://www.simplicitynewlook.com/simplicity-patterns/dresses? -would be my choice, made up in a nice floral cotton, small flowers, then any errors won't show too much and there's no pattern matching!

Have fun! Always feel like I've achieved something good when I wear my handmade clothes.
    :mad: :j:D:beer::eek::A:p:rotfl::cool::):(:T
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It is worth making a trial up first out of some cheap material (old sheets are good) to check the fitting so you can make any changes before you use the good cloth. It doesn't need to be the whole dress - the top is usually enough. I see no point in making clothes unless they fit me better than shop bought ones often do. I also find it worth leaving the bottom hem a bit long and unfinished and getting someone else to mark it straight while I am wearing it before sewing it.

Rather than use a pattern, I sometimes unpick a favourite and worn out piece of clothing and use that for a pattern.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    I would strongly recommend Vogue patterns their easy ones are brilliant, I used one of them to make my wedding dress and it turned out really well and was very easy to make.
    I find some of the easy patterns a bit shapeless, well actually it's me that's shapeless so I need a dress with some shape to it.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    Options
    Kimono style sleeves are easy and can me made short, elbow length etc. With a belt or cumberband (sp?) they can look quite shapped. Darts are your friend for simple dresses I find.

Picking and old, past it dress you like and using it as a pattern is a good way to get a "free" pattern too.
  • Handbag59
    Options
    I am probably at a similar place as you, howeve,r I have been on a six week sewing course where I made a dress, I still have zip fear! I have been using any pattern that tells me its easy and would agree that they do tend to be pretty shapeless but are quite good for helping you learn the processes and building confidence. Personally I have come to the conclusion that I need to learn how to do a full bust adjustment, a task I keep putting off.
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    Options
    Bust and waist adjustments are hard. I'm going to experiment on a suit jacket alteration this weekend. The trousers will be easy to take in but the jacket is lined - I've watched tens of you tube videos, always recommended. On how to tackle this jacket.

It's 1-2 sizes too big for me. I was going to give it to the charity shop but I want to learn how to do this. I think breaking the back of altering will teach me a lot. And you never know I might be able to wear it again!

Apologies for off topic post OP.
  • dandy-candy
    Options
    I tried to go it alone with patterns and books, but I can honestly say I came on massively with lessons. I did a two day course which was brilliant and gave me confidence to carry on.
    I would definitely recommend finding one.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    3 pieces of advice:

Lessons - if you are lucky enough to live in an area that still does adult education classes, or possibly a short course such as those mentioned on forums / in magazines (see below)

Make a 'shell' or 'toile' - Vogue patterns have a basic one and use it as a basis for all your patterns

Look on sewingforum.com or subscribe to a magazine like Sewing World or Sew Today to update your knowledge
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure