PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Beginners dress sewing

Options

Comments

• Slowly57
    Options
    Very easy patterns are best to start with
    Don't use your clothing size - use your actual measurements
    A dress dummy makes things easier (but they are expensive)
    Use the fabric suggested by your pattern (ie a stretch knit fabric not a rigid cotton fabric)
    Charity shops often have good sewing project books
    Fab uk website thethriftystitcher has little videos and tutorials - yay!
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,586 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lots of sewing and quilting shops have sprung up in the last coupe of years have sprung up and lots of them offer courses - for instance I have been on zip insertion, seam finishing and jersey sewing courses. Those that offer specific skills such as zip insertion tend to be cheaper than those that take you through all the basics.

There is a shop in London which offers a fitting course run by the winner of this year's sewing bee but it's expensive, I'm trying to decide if it's worth it.
  • Gwendolyn
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. You have all made some very good points.

I have now narrowed it down to two patterns with very few pieces and seams - the pictures on the "back" are very useful for this. I have also found patterns with no need for zips at this stage.

There is a lady in my village who is a dressmaker by trade who offers classes. They are not at a time I have been able to make. But she will do a 1-to-1 for me on zips. I may ask OH for a couple of lessons with her for my Christmas present.

I know by the time you have the fabric etc - it's not necessarily a money saving idea. After all, you can buy lovely dresses from charity shops for less than £5. However, it's more about the skill for me and having a bit of fun being able to make a dress in a fabric I like. I have lots of old pieces to use for a dummy run.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    I think, a bit like bread making and other old skills, it depends on how you price it.
    If you say ' I could have bought a dress for 30 pounds and the fabric cost me 40' you may be correct - but the quality of the dress you have will be more like an 80-100 pound dress.
    I also find that once you get into it, and know what you are looking for, you can pick up all sorts of fabric quite cheaply.
    I hope it works out for you - I love making clothes
  • milasavesmoney
    Options
    YouTube can be your tutorial friend on all kinds of sewing questions, for example>>>putting in a zipper, sleeves etc.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    jfdi wrote: »

I should be unpacking and washing and doing all sorts of post-holiday stuff BUT........ ooops! nice pictures!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • PlaysNicely
    Options
    :wave:

I don't have anything to add but admiration for you sticking with it Gwen and for starting the thread.

I'm a complete novice (in that I've always hand sewn everything as I never got on with machining and never really had one of my own to get to know and practice with). However, OH bought me a machine for my birthday and I'm currently investigating lessons locally, so I'm following your thread (and progress) with interest. I've saved some simple dress ideas on Pinterest and will show these to the lady giving me lessons, in the hope of help to find the right pattern (simple tunic type dresses).

We're also downsizing soon (house selling/buying malarkey permitting) so I'd like to be able to soft furnish frugally by making my own (life would really be too short to hand sew, so that's another reason to get to grips with machine sewing). Loving the suggestions about frugal fabrics, particularly the double cotton duvets from charity shops!

:) Thanks for the thread and looking forward to hearing about your progress! PN x
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #236 - £ 5 / £332.05 + 365 day penny challenge - £ 18.15 / £667.95; 52 weeks challenge = £183 / £1,378;Frugal Living 2018 #42 <£11,500
    :p
  • helcat26
    helcat26 Posts: 1,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hope it goes well for you.

My tip for zips is tack them in carefully so the material fits perfectly to the zip before you machine sew, and when you get to the corners at the base of the zip put the machine needle into the fabric and make the turn swivelling around the needle so you do not get big stitch gaps.

My tip for fitted skirts and dresses is tack the pieces together and do the final fitting adjustments by putting it on inside out and adjusting the seams (unless you are wonky on one side!)
  • charlies-aunt
    charlies-aunt Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    Options
    Don't forget your local library! I find ours a great resource for 'how-to' sewing manuals, project and ideas books and soft furnishing guide books geared towards both absolute beginners (me!) and the experienced & skilled

I try and keep all decent bits of material such as the back panel of shirts to practice sewing with. I am trying to get going again (and use my stash up) with simple cushion covers and work up to using patterns for simple tunic tops and drawstring trousers.
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Handbag59 wrote: »
    I am probably at a similar place as you, howeve,r I have been on a six week sewing course where I made a dress, I still have zip fear! I have been using any pattern that tells me its easy and would agree that they do tend to be pretty shapeless but are quite good for helping you learn the processes and building confidence. Personally I have come to the conclusion that I need to learn how to do a full bust adjustment, a task I keep putting off.
    https://www.thesewingforum.co.uk is a great place to get help with sewing themes. If you don't want to tackle a full bust adjustment, there are several patterns out there that have them ready done for you. I'm loving the Cashmerette patterns at the moment, which come with C/D E/F and G/H patterns You dont' have to guess which size, as advice is given on how to choose, also full sizing charts for each fitting are given on the pattern.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family