PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My (now deceased) FiL killed someone who ran out in front of his car.

The court (maybe coroner?) said it wasn't his fault. But he never got over it.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    I have endless sympathy for the poor soul who was driving, but also for the desperate folks trying to get over. The authorities on both sides should do something to ensure the safety of the migrants and travellers.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :( I believe the rules on claiming asylum are that you do it in the first safe country you enter. Not that you traverse a continent of safe countries, encamp yourself in another safe country whilst trying by all criminal means to force access into legitimate cargo vehicles, into bus lockers, onto trains and through tunnels into yet another safe country because you perceive, rightly or wrongly, that it's a better option.

The would-be-into-UK migrants in Calais and its environs are choosing not to claim asylum in France or in the other countries they have traversed. They are choosing to do things which I am sure, even in the wilder corners of lawless Somalia et al, are clearly understood to be violent and criminal acts. It may well be that considerable numbers of them are coming from places which would give them no legitimate claim for asylum and are just trying it on as economic migrants, and thus cannot go through the proper processes and have to resort to criminality.

Lorries in my region have been caught on camera debouching illegal immigrants. Hell, there was even one episode in a village we used to live in, and that's a real one-horse flyspeck on the map. Mostly, people run off into the hinterlands and aren't caught and we don't know who the blue blazes they are, what they've done in the past and what they might do in the future.

Kind of pointless living in a world where you have to show your UK passport when making internal UK flights as a UK national but our borders are wide open wednesday.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The authorities on both sides should do something to ensure the safety of the migrants and travelers.

How do you ensure the safety of someone, who intentional puts themselves in front of a moving vehicle :huh:
  • singlestep
    Options
    I certainly don't disagree that arriving at any safe place should be enough but countries closest to these countries can barely cope as it is.

A friend and I came back from France via Calais last year and it wasn't pleasant - safely back here, we both confessed anticipating it had cast a bit of a shadow over the last couple of days. At least we don't share a land border with mainland Europe.

It says a lot, though, that people are willing to go to such lengths and (sometimes pay to) put themselves in such danger to get to our countries and allow their children to make such journeys, sometimes on their own. Just saw on the news that 28% of refugees in to Greece this year have been children :(

What would I do in their situations? I'd like to say I'd stay and get my country back on its feet if possible but the reality can't be that simple. Hopefully, I'll never have to confront a SHTF situation like it here in my lifetime.

GQ, how are you getting on with using the other hand for your computer? I am yet to get used to it but do try at home. It's too annoying at work!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    singlestep wrote: »
    GQ, how are you getting on with using the other hand for your computer? I am yet to get used to it but do try at home. It's too annoying at work!
    :) Tolerably well. I can more-or-less touch type but am right-handed for the old pooter mouse and that side is suffering a bit from over-use.

My job requires very fast computer skills and it will be some time (if ever) before I can mouse-click swiftly and accurately enough to use it on the left at work.

Interestingly, I am the offspring of a right-hander and an ambi-dexter. Kid Bruv is a southpaw and I have the ability to, with very small amounts of practise, write and even sketch using my left hand.

It's always been so, I have no idea why my brain works thusly. I think it's no bad little prep of its own, if you can master ambidexterity, in the event that you might temporarily lose the use of one hand/ arm to a strain or a break.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 11 October 2016 at 10:41PM
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    While any death is tragic, I struggle to feel sympathy for someone, who loses their life, while committing a criminal (and especially a violent criminal) act.

Guess you mean this would-be illegal immigrant?

In which case - I agree. They have shown no concern for drivers/holidaymakers/etc and, when the driver that accidentally knocked one of them down got out showing concern about them - they went to attack him.

They are attacking drivers and hence why I wouldnt want to be in these drivers' position. I decided a couple of years back I would never travel that route unless/until this has been resolved. But I guess some drivers don't feel they have any option but to do so and/or can't quite believe they really will be under attack - until they are.

I'm not sure in my own mind how people would feel if they accidentally killed someone deliberately blocking the road like that - whether they would feel the same way as they would if it was an ordinary/innocent person that had accidentally been in the road at the time. Thankfully, I'm not a car driver - but I could visualise myself feeling really awful about it for the rest of my life if I accidentally killed an ordinary pedestrian and I know I would feel terrible about it.
    But, in those circumstances - I'm not convinced I would feel the same way...
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 October 2016 at 12:48AM
    Options
    My dad was left handed. When he was in his 70's I asked him who else on his side of the family was also. He said, oh I'm not left handed. I broke my collar bone falling out of the hay loft, in the barn, when I was six, and as it was just when I was learning to write so I learned to use my left hand. No one, not even my mother, had ever heard that story.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • boddy
    boddy Posts: 3,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Doveling I've signed up for that course too.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I am getting a bit worried about the escalation of tension with Russia - not that I think bombs are likely to start falling any time soon. But the Cold War is well and truly back again when Russia holds large scale drills for its population about surviving a nuclear war and is telling all public officials with children studying abroad to bring them back home NOW. That and Germany updating its civil defence guidance to store food and water.

I just hope it de-escalates after the US election and associated posturing is out of the way
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure