Help needed for Newbie Couponer

Options
Thriftkitten
Thriftkitten Posts: 1,242 Forumite
edited 23 October 2016 at 9:36PM in Discount codes & vouchers
Hi Newbie here to couponing... So I am just back from A*da and decided with my over average shop to go to the self serve aisle.. not the small one but the one where you scan yourself when you have multiple items
So I'm already anxious about anyone behind me as I know with my coupons its going to take a while, when this guy (obviously hung over) plonks down his 10 odd items and I nicely tell him I am a coupon queen so this may take longer if he wanted to go to a different self check out... After a dirty look, huff and puff and being called a cheap Tw*t he leaves leaving his stuff there
Anyway, I scan my items most are name brands that I would normally not choose as I opt for cheaper store brands and at the end the coupon scans lovely ... then go to pay and the machine says coupons are now not being accepted and wacks the balance up higher...I had it all planed for a smooth trip but now feel disappointed that I haven't really had a bargain shop and only got half of what I would of and spent more....
These were printed off from recommendation on main page here from Coupon Safe, can anyone tell me what I have done wrong or if there is anything further I could do please.... feeling a bit Meh.
To add to the expense I also downloaded the checkout smart app so purchased things for free that I wouldn't normally buy so I'm hoping that pays up as I have submitted my receipts..
Thriftkitten;)

Tesco saving stamps £13.00:T

Roadkill Rebel No.31 July2014 Treasure £1.03p :D
August 2014

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,690 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the problem is that you chose to scan your shopping rather than going through a cashier, w which I appreciate is cold comfort now!

You need to ask in store at the time your coupons are 'rejected' - check why they are 'not now accepting coupons' and have no qualms about saying you don't want items if you can't use the coupon(s), particularly if they appear to have gone through up until the actual point of payment.

Checkout Smart is a completely separate issue and provided you bought the specific items and complied with all their terms, there shouldn't be a problem.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Thriftkitten
    Options
    Hi and thank you for getting back to me, I was too nervous to go to customer services as it was a first for me and already felt like I was doing something wrong by using them... I don't know why... I have had notification of payment this morning from checkout smart so will deffo be using that again.
    Thriftkitten;)

August 2014
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you're self conscious, shop at a time when you know Asda isn't too busy. Buy the CheckoutSmart items in one shop (assuming they aren't covered by money off coupons as well) and 'everything else' in a second shop. You might miss out a bit where 'extra' money off depends on spending over a certain amount, but that's still better than no coupon discounts.

Once you get a bit more used to the whole thing, you should find you aren't nearly so bothered - but yes, it does feel a bit 'not quite right' when you first make your bid for Coupon MegaStar...
  • Fivebyfive
    Options
    I had my first coupon shop all planned out at T3sco last week .....Until I got to there and realized i had left the folder of coupons at home :eek: I will try again this week and see if they accept them.

I have been using ch3ckout Sm&rt for a month and find it very easy and trouble free to use, I had my first payout last week and waiting for another £15 before cashing out again.
    Debt =£5,829.57 Aug 17 /£5,598.05 Mar 17/ £6,310.36 Feb 17/ £6,468.06 Jan 17/£6,593.06 Dec 16/ £6,545.36 Nov 16/ £6,886.82 Oct 16
    SPC #037
  • Thriftkitten
    Options
    Have emailed A*da asking why the coupons wouldn't scan and stating they were from a reputable site.... Also laying it on thick that I opted for their company due to them being very competitive price wise... and also asking them if there was anything I had done wrong, could or should of done and looking forward to their response which would restore my faith in using them as one of the cheapest places to shop:) i'll keep you updated.

Fivebyfive... Oh no... good luck for next time, I have found a clear sleeve and all my coupons regardless go in there and stay in my bag just in case I nip somewhere and find I can use a coupon... I'm on it big time next month... watch this space:T
    Oh just to mention... I have recorded all the 'Extreme Couponing and Couponing all stars' that gets me right in the mood for some serious money saving when grocery shopping..
    Thriftkitten;)

August 2014
  • Fivebyfive
    Options
    Have emailed A*da asking why the coupons wouldn't scan and stating they were from a reputable site.... Also laying it on thick that I opted for their company due to them being very competitive price wise... and also asking them if there was anything I had done wrong, could or should of done and looking forward to their response which would restore my faith in using them as one of the cheapest places to shop:) i'll keep you updated.

Fivebyfive... Oh no... good luck for next time, I have found a clear sleeve and all my coupons regardless go in there and stay in my bag just in case I nip somewhere and find I can use a coupon... I'm on it big time next month... watch this space:T
    Oh just to mention... I have recorded all the 'Extreme Couponing and Couponing all stars' that gets me right in the mood for some serious money saving when grocery shopping..

Let me know what they reply :) I think i may need to do same and keep them in a pouch or something and carry all the time with me
    Debt =£5,829.57 Aug 17 /£5,598.05 Mar 17/ £6,310.36 Feb 17/ £6,468.06 Jan 17/£6,593.06 Dec 16/ £6,545.36 Nov 16/ £6,886.82 Oct 16
    SPC #037
  • Thriftkitten
    Options
    Just an update on my response from A*da as follows...

Hi Lisa

Thank you for your recent e-mail about your experience at our Hayle store.

I am sorry you were unable to use your coupons. I understand why you were unhappy with this.

I can tell you that we should accept all coupons as long as the terms & conditions are met and the coupons scan. I will make sure our Retails Service Team are aware of what happened so improvements can be made going forwards.

I would also like to send you a gift card as a refund for the vouchers. If you can please tell me your address details so we can arrange for a gift card to be sent out to you.

If you need any further help, please call me or one of my colleagues on 0800 952 0101.

Thanks again for writing and letting me help you.

Kind regards
    Dave
    Asda Service Team

Will let you know if it is the same value or more when they arrive in the post, but I am thrilled that they have gotten back to me to compensate.
    Thriftkitten;)

August 2014
  • Fivebyfive
    Options
    That's fab news
    SPC #037
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport