Help with ASDA

I have a disciplinary hearing with ASDA after being off sick for 2 seperate days during my 12 week probationary period. It couldn't have been avoided so why am i being treated like dirt over it? The first time I was off sick and the night previous I was sick during my shift. I told the managers that i couldn't stop spewing and they told me i would risk being sacked if i went home.

I stayed til 6am even though i was spewing every half hour. The next day i stayed off.

The second time i felt sick 2.5 weeks later, i had diarrhoea and instead of going in only to be ignored i just phoned in sick. I feel they were relentless the first time so what would be different this time?

I then had a interview with 2 managers and they decided it should go to disciplinary hearing. They laughed the whole way through the interview as if they had never done it before.

One of the managers was bad mouthing me outside of work to my mates mum also. Thats gross misconduct and how can i complain?

Sorry this is rushed but i am expecting the tribunal to be in a few days! Please feel free to ask questions and i will write back when i can.

Comments

• muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, I would say you would be better posting this in the employment section of the forum.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    StevieJo wrote: »
    I have a disciplinary hearing with ASDA after being off sick for 2 seperate days during my 12 week probationary period. It couldn't have been avoided so why am i being treated like dirt over it? The first time I was off sick and the night previous I was sick during my shift. I told the managers that i couldn't stop spewing and they told me i would risk being sacked if i went home.

I stayed til 6am even though i was spewing every half hour. The next day i stayed off.

The second time i felt sick 2.5 weeks later, i had diarrhoea and instead of going in only to be ignored i just phoned in sick. I feel they were relentless the first time so what would be different this time?

I then had a interview with 2 managers and they decided it should go to disciplinary hearing. They laughed the whole way through the interview as if they had never done it before.

One of the managers was bad mouthing me outside of work to my mates mum also. Thats gross misconduct and how can i complain?

Sorry this is rushed but i am expecting the tribunal to be in a few days! Please feel free to ask questions and i will write back when i can.

Hi

From your post it seems like your employer is penalising you unresoably for a some time off sick, presumably at the start of your employment with them. If you follow the link below to Adviceguide this tells how ASDA should conduct the disciplinary process and what you can do in response.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/work_e/work_problems_at_work_e/dealing_with_disciplinary_action_and_dismissal_at_work.htm

However you need to bear in mind that due to the short time ( less than 12 months ) you appear to have been employed with them you are unlikely to be protected from unfair dismissal should they decide in any event to get rid of you. Judging by what you have said about their behavour towards you, you may well want to consider finding another job, especially so if these issues cannot be resolved.

You may have yourself grounds for raising a grievance against your employer due to the way they are treating you. Follow the link below which explains how to do this. Your local CAB might also be in a position to help you to resolve this. If you decide to go down this route again you would have little protection from dismissal. You could do this to complain about the alleged bad mouthing from your colleague.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/work_e/work_problems_at_work_e/dealing_with_grievances_at_work.htm
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure