Paid break at work

Options
During a 15 minute paid break at work, do you have to stay on works premises or can you go "offsite" to take this break? A lot of our staff go shopping or grab something to eat from the cafe during their break (they don't go over the 15 mins). Management are now saying they have to stay onsite during a break, and if they want to leave the building during a break, they do so in their own time.

Can they do this? Surely a break is that, a break and can be taken anywhere? Ive tried to look online for employment law but it mostly just mentions lunch break which is different as that's unpaid

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 July 2017 at 2:35PM
    Options
    bobblebob wrote: »
    During a 15 minute paid break at work, do you have to stay on works premises or can you go "offsite" to take this break? A lot of our staff go shopping or grab something to eat from the cafe during their break (they don't go over the 15 mins). Management are now saying they have to stay onsite during a break, and if they want to leave the building during a break, they do so in their own time.

Can they do this? Surely a break is that, a break and can be taken anywhere? Ive tried to look online for employment law but it mostly just mentions lunch break which is different as that's unpaid

Not sure anyone on here can answer if you can go off site during the break.

What does your employee handbook say about it ?

Maybe it depends on the employer, I know with mine if its a paid break you cant leave the building, if an unpaid break you can go off site.
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I believe the handbook says to stay onsite, although personally ive never understood why (other than maybe for fire regulations)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I believe the handbook says to stay onsite, although personally ive never understood why (other than maybe for fire regulations)

That could well be the reason.

Have you asked why ?
  • bobblebob
    Options
    Not yet, will be doing tho
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    The answer will be it depends

As long as the statutory break is available for the employee to take a proper break then for the other breaks they can make up any rules they like if they pay them.

The statutory break is 20 mins if working over 6 hours.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm allowed to go offsite, i smoke so can't obviously do that on site.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm allowed to go offsite, i smoke so can't obviously do that on site.
    I would assume that designated smoking area would still be considered on site.
  • bobblebob
    Options
    The answer will be it depends

As long as the statutory break is available for the employee to take a proper break then for the other breaks they can make up any rules they like if they pay them.

The statutory break is 20 mins if working over 6 hours.

Thanks. Yea i get a 30 min lunch break and 2 paid 15 min breaks
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks. Yea i get a 30 min lunch break and 2 paid 15 min breaks
    All statutory breaks are also unpaid. If they pay you they can tell you pretty much any rule they want, and all you are entitled to is that 20 minutes unpaid break.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Even if it's an unpaid break they can still require you to remain on site. An example might be if there are safety, security or hygiene procedures you have to go through at the start and end of each shift, so they can require you to remain in the designated area during the break, as long as they provide a suitable location for you to take your break (and that doesn't have to include a smoking area).
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure