Owed wftc from 2 years ago

Options
A couple of years ago I was in receipt of working families tax credit.I moved house and eventually closed my bank account,no longer claiming.I also informed Inland Revenue of my new status and address.
By chance recently I discovered they owe me £1500 which they apparantly tried to pay in but the account had been closed.
They dont seem to be in any hurry to pay me ,or cannot tell me when they are going to pay me.Is there anything I can do to speed it up?
If i hadnt made an unrelated enquiry I dont think i would ever have found out about this money as i am no longer in the benefits system.

Comments

• Discount_diva_5
    Options
    Hi Holly

I had a really bad time with the Inland Revenue over non payment of tax credits, I wrote them a very snotty letter and sent a copy to my mp, with a covering letter. My Mp got them shifted!
    I know from experience in my own line of work that letters from MPs always get a very prompt response!
  • fatblokexl
    Options
    is it WFTC or WTC?
    there is a difference in how to sort this out.

WFTC was in force upto 5/4/03 then it changed to WTC from 6/4/03 onwards.

from the WTC side of things, any money you ARE entitled to will initally be paid into existing account details held at that time.

when sent out, if the account is closed the bank usually send it back (unless you owe them money, in which case they usually keep it).

when it comes back to TCO (Tax credit office) they will write to you to say we tried payment but no joy, but if you changed address and not told them, that letter will be returned also as unanswered.

without any new address or account dets no money will be paid ...cos who and where do they send it!!!!

i feel it is a bit crass of you to move and not inform them if you were still eligible for tax credits at that time and expect them to pay you quickly.

in your post you mentioned "no longer claiming", did you actually end your award by contacting them to request this?

if so the money you believe is owed may be as a result of your end of year incomes being applied to that award and showing an underpayment.

MP letter are usually only for DIRE cases with significant impact on living.

in your case waiting for 2 years without knowing £1500 may be owed would not fall into this.

write into TCO with your query or call the helpline to find out if anything can be done from there end to get things started.
    updating the old claim with your changes will be a help.
    fatblokexl
    :EasterBun:
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A quick reply cos I am just going out-I had my mail redirected-still doing this.,they never wrote to me re trying to pay me the money.
    When i received forms from wftc as it was then,when i rang them-the advise i was given was to IGNORE them.
    This was the wrong advice, i now know.

I HAVE rung the helpline-not much help.

Perhaps you would refrain in future from abuse until you know someones situation in full.

As for being crass,well us single parents are,arent we?
  • fatblokexl
    Options
    where is the abuse?
    i only pointed that not telling tco of changes makes their life difficult, especially when it comes to sending/recieving payments.

as this is a WFTC oversight by the looks of things your query should be directed to that department. youcould also put a complaint in there about mis-advice.
    however as that department is now de-funct, the TCO helpline (may take a short time on the phone) may be able to give you the address to write to for that particular benefit.
    fatblokexl
    :EasterBun:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family