Energy usage/bills

Options
13»

Comments

• choccyface2006
    Options
    yellow218 wrote: »
    This may sound very naive. But what exactly are dryer balls, and how do they save you money?

Hi, they are knobbly rubber balls that heat up in your tumble dryer, as they move between your wet washing they help dry it out, thus reducing drying time and fluff up towels!

Have a look on Amazon, I bought some for just a few £ delivered.

Sarah
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't they make your laundry smell of burning tyres? Heating rubber sounds like a load of balls to me :D
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Don't they make your laundry smell of burning tyres? Heating rubber sounds like a load of balls to me :D

They don't, thankfully! Personally I didn't find they really did anything either, though!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • choccyface2006
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »

Thankfully not but I've yet to use them so don't really know if they will work yet, the reviews were good though :D
  • Smodlet
    Options
    EH, choccyface, you guys rock.

S x :T
  • Coffeekup
    Coffeekup Posts: 661 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had the very same issue a few years ago, and had me sracthing my head for over 2 years.
    You even said it yourself, but not realize the issue, and am suprized no one else has seen it.... "But that doesn't seem to be the pattern, or at least not in the suppliers estimates."

Easy way.... Get a smart reader, bye bye estimates.

More intersting way if u like soreadsheets. Pay attention to your meter readings yourself. I take mine on the first of every month and calculate what I used for both gas and electric every month. I'm usually right within a few pence. Then give yourself a projected use and cost over the next 2 years. So u may find out you use £720 a year for both. So that's a £100 a month, and you want to get back in credit by a certain timeline, you can then pay say £130 a month to get it cleared.

If you don't manage your money, no one else will.
  • Smodlet
    Options
    Coffekup is right on the money, I do this too, without even a spreadsheet, just pencil, paper and calculator. One thing, though, £720 a year is £60.00 per month... £100 per month would be £1200 a year and far too high to be paying.

There are a number of collective switches (not MSE ones) imminent, according to fredandwilma. Check out their posts if you are interested.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure