The Festive Fivers competition is back!

Options

Comments

• ih8stress
    ih8stress Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    # Name of present:

MAGNETIC JIGSAW PUZZLE

# Whether it's bought or homemade:
    Both

# Total cost:
    £1 - £2

# Details (where it's from, how to make it etc):

Buy a pack of magnetic paper from the poundshop (2 per pack)

Select a suitable photo and print it onto a sheet of magnetic paper. Leave to dry.

Cut the picture into strips (these can be wavy or straight).

Cut the strips into sections.

You now have a personalised jigsaw which can be stuck onto a fridge.

Vary the subject matter and size of each piece depending on the age of the recipient.

For younger children you could do a second, identical (uncut) picture for them to use as a base to match the jigsaw pieces to.
  • tina5762
    Options
    My boys made these for everyone last christmas, and they worked brilliantly!

First collect up all those odd socks that have 'lost' their partners (free!) And grab a needle , some scissors, and thread.
    Pick up your sock with the toe pointing down and the heel towards you.
    The toe will become your animals bottom , the heel will be the face and the leg part some ears.
    Snip off across the toe to make a hole.
    Then flatten out the leg part across the width. You are going to cut a long thin 'u'shape from the middle so you get two rectangles on each side.
    When you have done this turn sock inside out and sew around the top and inside edges to create two ears.
    Turn the right way out.
    Now stuff the ears-this can be done by cutting up old tights,using cotton wool balls, or buying a bag of stuffing.
    Then stuff the face and about half way down the body.
    It will go in and out a bit- this is great as it looks more like an animal.
    Then get a little plastic bag and fill either with rice or sand. Put it against a door to make sure it is heavy enough to keep the door open.
    Then seal the bag, removing any air.
    Stuff your bag into the bottom of your bunny. Squeeze him a bit to get a nice shape.
    Then sew up the hole at the bottom- go from one side across to the other and pull it tight. You don't have to be a brilliant sew-er as long as you pull it tight it works-my 5 year old did this fine.

Then draw on a face with eyes , nose , whiskers and mouth on the heel part.

If you want (and can sew well enough) you can sew the face.

You may like to add a cotton wool ball tail, or a ribbon collar. If you have those fancy girls socks with the frills round the top, they look great round your animals neck.

Once you get the idea you can experiment with lots of other animals- trainer socks make great cats-just sew across the top and the ears magically appear!
    My boys made trains, hippos, whales, crocodiles-all sorts , with some old socks, and a bit of imagination. Most of it is stuff I had lying around so cost nothing. The only thing I bought was the stuffing, which is approx £3 a bag, and makes about 8. They looked really cute, they were useful, and could be made by a 5 year old.
    I have seen some craft kits about selling you one of these for about £20 but you really don't need a kit-d.i.y.!
    Brilliant!
  • Julieanne1985
    Options
    I was buying something for my boyfriend on the body shop website and realised you could get free delivery if you spend £15. So I looked around the site for other gift ideas and found an offer on the outlets section for 3 250ml shower gels for £3. These are usually £5 each so a real bargain. Buy a nice gift box for £1.00 and some tissue paper and this seems like a more expensive gift. Also go to the site via nectar and get 2 points for every £1 spent.
  • CrazyWomanimal
    Options
    • Name of present:Play-Doh
    • Whether it's bought or homemade: Homemade
    • Total cost: Up to £5 but ingredients will make several batches.
    • Details (where it's from, how to make it etc):
    Play-Doh is really expensive in the shops and the cheap versions just aren't the same but this really is as close as it gets! With cookie cutter sets in the pound shops it's easy to add the accessories to your homemade Play-Doh.
    Recipe
    2 cups flour (approx 256 Grams)
    2 cups warm water (250ml)
    1 cup salt (approx 273 Grams based on table salt, Sea salt can be used)
    2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 Tablespoon cream of tartar (optional but advised for improved elasticity)

food colouring (best are the pastes now available at most supermarkets buy blue/red/yellow and you can make any colour)
    scented oils if you want to make your play-doh smell :)

Mix all of the ingredients together in a saucepan, and stir over a low heat. The dough will begin to thicken until it resembles mashed potatoes.

When the dough pulls away from the sides and clumps in the centre, remove the pan from the heat and allow the dough to cool enough to handle.

IMPORTANT NOTE: if your play-doh is still sticky, you simply need to cook it longer!
    Keep stirring and cooking until the dough is dry and feels like play-doh.
    Turn the dough out onto a clean counter or silicone mat, and knead vigorously until it becomes silky-smooth. Divide the dough into balls for colouring.

Make a divot in the center of the ball, and drop some food colouring in. Fold the dough over, working the food color through the body of the play-doh, trying to keep the raw dye away from your hands and the counter. You could use gloves or plastic wrap at this stage to keep your hands clean- only the concentrated dye will colour your skin, so as soon as it's worked in bare hands are fine.

Work the dye through, adding more as necessary to achieve your chosen colour.
    Ta Dah!
    Keep in an airtight container to prevent it going dry but if it does just make some more :) Best part it is entirely safe if accidentally eaten, although very salty!

• A link to the offer if it's online (where possible): N/A
  • xfive71
    xfive71 Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    Name of present: Vistaprint Freebie Cotton Bag
    Whether it's bought or homemade: Bought
    Total cost: £2.93 for delivery
    Details (where it's from, how to make it etc):

Offer ending soon. Vistaprint is offering a free printed cotton bag. If link doesn't work, try googling "Vistaprint free bag". Lots of designs to choose from, ranging from cute cupcakes for girls/teens to Eco green logos for the Greenie in your life. The bags can be personalised with names.

My DDs have unique names so it's great to get this for them. Slow mail is 21 days so get in there in advance. You can choose to spend the rest of £2.17 on some stuff to add into the bags

A link to the offer if it's online (where possible): Vistaprint Free Bags

If the cotton bag is no longer available, try the other free products from the site
  • Beesknees
    Options
    Name of present: Secret Santa Hamper
    Bought or homemade: Combination
    Total cost: £3-£5
    Details:Last year I had to get a Secret Santa for £3!! :mad: Difficult? Well, I walked around Tesco (you could do any of the superstores) with a calculator and only picked up items that were from the value range! It started as a bit of a joke, but became very serious, as I made it to £2.95. I tried to put in things people would actually use - chocolate 30p, value batter mix 7p, sage and onion stuffing 15p, peanuts, lemonade, pasta... I had a very large basket full, asked a kind assistant to find a box about the right size. I wrapped the box in Tesco plastic bags, made the hamper, then wrapped again in xmas paper (they do value paper too!) so they couldn’t see what was in there. I also put the receipt in so they could see how much I had spent. We always have to guess what each other’s presents are; this is great ‘cos its so big no-one can ever guess! My husband did this with a £5 Secret Santa - this gets very big!!! :snow_laug
  • Jen2girls
    Options
    Name of present: Personalised wine glass
    Shop bought or homemade? Homemade
    Total cost? Around £1.50 per glass
    Buy some wine glasses from a supermarket (they are 40p each in tesco) buy a set of glass paints (£3.99 including delivery off ebay) get creative and design a personalised wine glass for each of your loved ones. You can even write mum, dad gran etc on them and who they are from and the year for an extra personal touch. You can paint any pattern on the glasses such as flowers, hearts, footballs. In a twist to this you can use pint glasses for those who prefer to drink beer or larger, or how about a personalised small vase for the non drinkers.
  • MoGeo
    Options
    From Maplins... 4GB memory stick... Small, white, cute, can be hung off a key-ring...

only £4.99
  • Lillyann_2
    Lillyann_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 1 November 2012 at 8:33PM
    Options
    Name of Present: ‘The Fun Element’

Whether its bought or homemade: Both. Mostly homemade, but with a few little extras bought to enhance it.

Total cost: Max £3 per person

Details:

So, you are a penniless student and Christmas has arrived. Here’s an idea that will endear you to both children and adults forever, and all at minimum cost. What it does require is time, planning, organising, enthusiasm and a great final performance, because you are going to be the *Christmas Fun Element*. Ideally, this will be for children, but if you’ve only got adults to work with you could still pull it off. It all depends on hype and performance.

First you will need to prepare invitations to give to all involved (no cost because you are going to make them). The invitation will be to The Christmas Event, or whatever better name you think up. Make sure to include on the invitation that this is your Christmas gift to them all.

You will need to get yourself an outfit – something outrageous and extreme. I’m sure you or your friends have something!

At this event there will be games and activities. These might include:

Musical statues, musical chairs, hunt the thimble (o rsomething more delicious), hide and seek, blind man’s bluff, making party crowns (you will need some card, glue, scissors and various crafty bits and pieces collected in advance) – use your imagination and do a bit of research.

You must, however, end the games with Pass the Parcel, and here’s how to do it:

Buy enough Kinder Surprise Eggs for all involved and wrapthem and label them with the players’ names. Put the eggs into an empty box (shoe box?) and start wrapping. You don’t need to use Christmas wrapping paper for every layer and when you do it can be the really cheap stuff. Inside every layer (or every other), put a balloon. Either a Christmas or modelling balloon. Keep wrapping until you have a gigantic parcel. Use Christmas paper for the final wrap. Choose some suitable music (think very carefully about this – your current favourite may not be appropriate) to play while the parcel is being passed. Make sure all involved get to open some layers and so collect some balloons. It doesn’t really matter who gets the last layer because there is a gift for everyone.

Wind everyone down with a bit of balloon blowing and/or modelling (practice in advance).

Finally, the children will love you and will want you to repeat it again next year. The adults will love you for keeping the children entertained and will also want you to repeat it again next year…
  • londonlydia
    Options
    Name of present: Good Night's Tweet
    Whether it's bought or homemade: Homamade
    Total cost: £2 for 2 pillowcases in primark, bottle of glow in the dark fabric paint (can buy sets form £ shops, or larger bottle on Ebay for about £4)
    Details (where it's from, how to make it etc):
    Personalise a Pillow case for the addicted social media person in your life!

Get a plain pillowcase and a tube of glow in the dark fabric paint.

Then log on to your friend's profile page on Facebook/ Twitter etc and note down some notable tweets/ updates from the past year.

Now write these out across the pillow case in the glow in the dark paint. Write in different Font sizes etc for effect.

Allow to dry on a flat surface!

And then hey presto! all the thoughts that have been whirring about in your friend/ loved ones head in the past year have been captured on a pillow that will glow and display them when the lights are off! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure