New comper.....has questions!

Options
Hello everyone,

I just joined and am eagerly comping away. I have some questions as a newbie. How long when you first started till you had your first win? Am i the only person imagining what they will say if they get a call to say they have won?? What is your win ratio? So if anyone keeps a record of comps entered what is your average? I.e one win in 1000 comps entered?

So many questions!!

Buster xx
Jan - x2 Wins, Feb -

Comments

• Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,216 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Welcome to the bonkers world of comping! Have a read through the useful advice here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4896515

I hope you win soon! :D
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • diddlydoop
    diddlydoop Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You are probably best just entering and forgetting. Judging by many previous threads everyone is different people enter a few comps and get a win early others can enter hundreds or thousands and have no win so it is really down to lady luck which some people seem to have a lot more of than others. Just treat it as a fun past-time and if the wins start rolling in then that is a bonus. I don't know what my win ratio is but I would guess somewhere around 1 in every 2000 entered.
  • Ms_Dee
    Ms_Dee Posts: 7,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Welcome Buster, Misslayed has shared a brilliant link to read through and look at.

How long when you first started till you had your first win?
    I can't really answer this properly as when I was 16 I randomly entered a Heart competition for a TV and I received a letter to say that I had won, so I won my first competition, but I wasn't seriously comping. Although my first comping win came pretty quickly too.

Am i the only person imagining what they will say if they get a call to say they have won?
    I hate the phone at the best of times but signing up to the Telephone Preference Service, checking terms and conditions and tick boxes has helped me minimise the sales calls. But every time the phone goes there is slight excitement, I always answer as you never know. Even though I am nervous on the phone, I don't mind if I sound silly if there is a win involved :D
    I would hate to be one of those on the radio that jump up and down and scream when they win but I also don't want to sound ungrateful :eek:

What is your win ratio?
    So if anyone keeps a record of comps entered what is your average?
    I.e one win in 1000 comps entered?

I don't keep record, only of my wins, some competitions have thousands of entrants, others only have 200-500 so your odds are better. Some companies also give away 200 prizes, so your chances are better there too. I just enter, tick it off or share it and forget about it.

If you like books, I'd definitely recommend Good Reads, they give away a huge amount of books with a great selection.

I win at least at least once a month with Quizonaut but I wouldn't bother claiming if it was for their de-stress CD or Mousemat as you have to show them photo ID, a utility bill from last three months and your date of birth and address. But if you do enter their competitions for something bigger then please click no thanks to 'Would you also like to be a member of Pointworld?'

We are a friendly bunch, well most of us! Feel free to ask questions but you may also find your answer in the search, so worth searching too. Welcome and best of luck with comping!
    Thank you to everyone who posts competitions and good luck to everyone who enters.
  • sammi86
    sammi86 Posts: 532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd defo say, don't get your hopes up of winning loads. The media has had a big part to play in the increase of compers. Its not as easy to win as they like to make out. For the majority of people you'll have to be satisfied only winning a fish slice (or something of equal stature) yes, there are exceptions but the odds are stacked against you, but if you don't enter you'll never know.

So, i echo the statement "enter and forget" if you win then brilliant, but dont get too hung up on winning everything you enter.
  • Busterboo_2
    Options
    Thanks everyome for making me feel welcome. Had a knock earlier and was handed a package!! I ran inside ripping it open........hubby had ordered from amazon again :(

I thought it was my first win!
    Jan - x2 Wins, Feb -
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family