Advice and Motivation needed for a newbie

Options
13»

Comments

• Grazeley
    Grazeley Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you checked childcare on HMRC - your 3 year old would be eligible for 30hrs funding from September and there is the new tax free childcare. I know childcare is such an expense!

Have a look around what you can sell - we just did two car boots (cost of £10 each time for the pitch) and we made £235 - just selling baby stuff, clothes, other stuff from loft - BE RUTHLESS!

Take a look at ways to earn money such as Swagbucks or product testing - my husband got paid to Shave!

Meal plan is essential - and switch brands/supermarket, I've saved so much, for example switching mthly food shop from Tesco £150 to Aldi £85.
  • Emma45622
    Emma45622 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Sadly my 3 year old turns 4 in August and will start school. We currently use his 15 hours of funding but it's the younger one costing all the money we spend in childcare. That is after we've used childcare vouchers too. It almost feels too hard to work due to the sheer cost of childcare.
    Once the younger one turns 3 that dynamic will very much change for us thankfully.
  • thepurplepixie
    thepurplepixie Posts: 3,602 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi Emma, that sounds really hard. Is your husband a NQT? Sounds like it from his salary. Will he be getting an increment in September? Might make things a bit easier. Is it worth you working? If you look at take home pay less childcare costs, travel costs and then work out what you might get in tax credits you might be better off not working or doing a Saturday job when your husband can have the children.

Good luck.
  • bubblycrazy
    bubblycrazy Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Emma45622 wrote: »
    With regards to the sofas, we took this out in better financial times and in hindsight perhaps wish we hadn't but if we sell it we will still have to pay monthly and not have a sofa surely?

Check your paperwork as I think most company's let you pay it off earlier. If this is the case you could try selling it and buy something secondhand.
    I know it doesn't cost you that much each month but it is an expense you could do without which you will be paying out for years.
    MFW - Original balance 28/08/2014 £52850
    Original MF date: 2049:eek: Aiming for: 2025 Current MFD: 2030
    Balance 27/07/2016 £49990
    Balance 08/07/2017 £47999
    Balance 30/07/2018 £44500
    Balance 01/08/2019 £40700
    Balance 03/09/2020 £37619
    Balance 30/09/2021 £33983
  • dionysia
    dionysia Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I think it's worth exploring your options with the sofa. Especially with two very little ones, you could find someone jumps up and down on it, someone else spills something, and your expensive sofa could be a bit knackered before you've even finished paying for it which would be sad! There are budget options, I got my sofa from Tesco for less than £200, it's very comfy and looks fine.
    June 2017: owe £16,818.
    June 2018: owe £13,263.
  • zippygeorgeandben
    Options
    Emma45622 wrote: »
    We have talked about it Lucylocks but he currently works from 7:30-6 at school, come home helps put the children to bed and then continues the prep, planning, marking (and everything else) work from 7:30/8 until about 11pm almost every night, he also spends all of Sunday afternoon doing the same. I don't think his mental health could really take on any additional on top.

As a fellow teacher, I think it's time that your partner looks to work in another school. I hope he is going up the pay scale each year for all this work he does at his current school.
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'll tackle the food thing for a start - you definitely don't need to worry about the littlies going hungry - nor indeed you or your OH either! Some ideas:

Shop in Aldi/Lidl
    Try to build your meals around what is available in the Super 6/Pick of the week / "front of store" offers
    Eat meat every other day at most
    Cook a roast on a sunday that enables you to stretch it for a further few meals - so a whole roast chicken as someone else suggested - roast on Sunday, more meat taken off for a salad on a Tuesday and then the picking of the carcass for a risotto on wednesday along with stock made from the carcass. Whatever you cook always think about what you can "roll over" into another meal - so a big pot of bolognese sauce might do spag bol one night, and a single portion of the remains stretches out with a tin of kidney beans and some spice to make a chilli for you & OH the next.
    Always shop to a list, and never shop when you're hungry.
    As someone else has said - don't take the kids!

Give some thought to meals you can cook that suit everyone - life is too short to be cooking multiple meals for people plus you'll end up with fussy kids! The least fussy kids I know are those who have simply had a plate of food popped in front of them the same as everyone else is eating and they've been left to eat it, and that also has huge advantages for the family budget as you don't waste as much.

You can certainly knock the odd £80 a month off that shopping bill, and I'd suggest a bit more too. Take a look at the Old Style board for some great ideas to make your budget stretch, and also think about how family favourites can be made to a lower cost too.

A good starting point is to go through your fridge, freezer and cupboards and make a note of everything you already have - then the next week's meal plan is made using as much from stores as you can - just buy fresh stuff.
    You can also go back over the receipts from your last few months shopping and identify all the branded stuff you buy - then look as and when each item needs replacing to buying a non branded and cheaper alternative. There will be some stuff that will be a no - but you'll definitely find other things that work for you. Similarly with fruit and veg - look for the "non standard" stuff that works out cheaper - it tastes the same!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business