Self managed DMP Defaults Help

Options
Hi,

I am currently in a self managed DMP, I was wondering if I could have some advise on obtaining defaults on my account.

I have 10 creditors 6 have defaulted already, most within the first few months.

4 currently haven't, these are barclaycard, vanquis, payday uk and ladder loans.

I've read that a default will fall off after 6 years, however an arrangement to pay will show from 6 years until the debt is settled in full.

Any advise on how I can get these defaulted and potentially backdated would be helpful.
By gambling we lose both our time and treasure:
two things most precious to the life of man.

Original Debt total £28591.50 :mad:

Current Debt total £24646.80 :T

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,920 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Its a typical problem with some lenders, BC are often complained about on this forum, for the reasons you describe.

A lender can default you at any time, once you have missed two or three contracted payments, but BC and the like tend to use AP markers instead.

You could write and complain that there unfair treatment leaves you at a disadvantage, and if you have no success, refer the matter to the financial ombudsman.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Jeff_winter
    Options
    Thanks Sourcrates,

Have you any experience of this?
    By gambling we lose both our time and treasure:
    two things most precious to the life of man.

Original Debt total £28591.50 :mad:

Current Debt total £24646.80 :T
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Only from what other posters have written on this forum.

However, i am no stranger to making written complaints when I have received bad service.

There is a procedure you should follow, and that starts with a complaint letter to Customer services, follow it through to the ombudsman, if necessary.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Bored
    Bored Posts: 389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    One strategy I have seen mentioned on this forum (although do not have personal experience of) is to stop paying the creditors monthly payments until they sell the debt on to a different company who are more likely to default you.
    2023 Mortgage-Free Wannabe #19: £11,675.68/£13,000
    Mortgage Overpayment Total: £22,397.1
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Bored wrote: »
    One strategy I have seen mentioned on this forum (although do not have personal experience of) is to stop paying the creditors monthly payments until they sell the debt on to a different company who are more likely to default you.

This is also an option I have advised people to take in the past.

However, if you are fairy new to this kind of thing, or not confident when dealing with issues of this nature, it may not be the best idea, as creditor hassle can be more robust.

But if you can take the calls and letters, then it does yield results in the end.
  • dazla
    dazla Posts: 191 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I am currently in a self managed DMP, I was wondering if I could have some advise on obtaining defaults on my account.

I have 10 creditors 6 have defaulted already, most within the first few months.

4 currently haven't, these are barclaycard, vanquis, payday uk and ladder loans.

I've read that a default will fall off after 6 years, however an arrangement to pay will show from 6 years until the debt is settled in full.

Any advise on how I can get these defaulted and potentially backdated would be helpful.

HI

I complained to Barclaycard about my AP markers and told them it should have been defaulted and asked them to backdate it...but they wouldn't budge. But...what they did say to me, once my debts have been repaid they will remove all traces of the AP markers from my account, as the time it took to repay would have been the same length a default would have remained on the account. Also, AP markers are looked on more favorably by future creditors than a default, as an AP marker shows you made more of an effort to repay your debts than letting them default. This point has been confirmed to me by a number of different creditors in addition to Barclaycard
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure