Debts that I haven't heard from.

Options
2»

Comments

• StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    flick24 wrote: »
    But a lot will not bother with a ccj, my credit is going to be ruined for 6 years anyway...I don't want credit that's the reason everyone is in debt. Priorities is what matters that's potential prison. Baliffs, debt collectors don't really seem to have much power they hound people and most give in. Once my debt has been sold they become a third party usually they are unable to provide details to you if you ask for the original agreement. An agreement is not a contract.

I'm not disagreeing with you!

I'm just saying that none of that matters if you don't challenge the debt. if you move and just let a creditor get a CCJ by default, these things become much more complicated.

If a creditor can't produce a CCA upon request, or is unable to provide details to a Prove-It letter (For debts which are usually sourced by fishing trips) then of course a debt is unenforceable.

However, if you just ignore a creditor to the point of a CCJ, you've left it too long and moving and hoping it'll just go statute barred isn't a risk I'd be willing to take.

If you haven't got money to pay any creditors, then telling them will most likely make them accept token payments and at least starve the threat of further action. Not doing so is a risk you'll have to calculate whether it is worth and I'm sure the CAB will advise you better than myself on this.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • flick24
    flick24 Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I will be challenging the debts as and when they are sold on, I won't allow it to get as far as a ccj, but the way I feel now after customer loyalty for 7 years, I hit a bad patch they whack on charges, I've been paying 50% interest its criminal, the whole financial system is how it operates especially the banks.
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    flick24 wrote: »
    I will be challenging the debts as and when they are sold on, I won't allow it to get as far as a ccj, but the way I feel now after customer loyalty for 7 years, I hit a bad patch they whack on charges, I've been paying 50% interest its criminal, the whole financial system is how it operates especially the banks.

Indeed, banks can and have been pretty brutal with interest and charges and frankly penalising those unable to pay is counterintuitive.

I'm not sympathetic to them at all, but also I don't want to advise anything that I feel would be reckless, that's all. I'm not having a go at you or anything! :)

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    You really need to check your credit files with the three agencies. The Water companies have a habit of getting CCJ's against people who don't/can't pay their water bills (even for small amounts), so it's worth checking to see if this is what they have done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure