Options
2»

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kingstreet wrote: »
    As a broker, even if the lender doesn't request bank statements itself, we are expected to check the outgoings to ensure we don't contribute to a fraudulent application - deliberately, or by accident.

So it sounds like a case of i know im lying and happy to take the risk, they (the bank) know im lying and are happy to take the risk lets keep the whole thing shush....? (everyone wins... for now. Liar gets a house, lied to probably makes some decent money that they should have to refuse)
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As I said, lenders have brokers policing applications for them since MMR. We are not permitted to submit an application unless 100% sure it meets lender criteria and affordability.

We can be called to account and face sanction if found lacking.

The lenders who don't ask brokers for bank statements may do so for direct applicants, so reliance is being placed on us as gatekeeper for introduced business.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • muhandis
    muhandis Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Please note that I am in no way casting any aspersions on yourself or mortgage brokers in general. I'm in fact a huge admirer of the way in which you respond to queries on this board.

But out of interest, how does this still go on then? In practice, is it cost effective for brokers or lenders to comb through the bank/credit card statements line by line to tally the nature and amount of outgoings with what has been said in the application by the borrower?

Or if a visibly pregnant applicant says that she doesn't expect there to be any changes in her circumstances, would a broker bring it up?

Kala
    kingstreet wrote: »
    As I said, lenders have brokers policing applications for them since MMR. We are not permitted to submit an application unless 100% sure it meets lender criteria and affordability.

We can be called to account and face sanction if found lacking.

The lenders who don't ask brokers for bank statements may do so for direct applicants, so reliance is being placed on us as gatekeeper for introduced business.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    muhandis wrote: »
    is it cost effective for brokers or lenders to comb through the bank/credit card statements line by line to tally the nature and amount of outgoings with what has been said in the application by the borrower?
    It doesn't matter if it's cost effective, it's what we're expected to do so you find a way to earn which takes account of your responsibilities.

Some lenders also do this, others don't but they may delegate to the introducing broker.

I'm sure if there is no face to face activity, it is possible for someone pregnant to circumvent the issue. However, as noted in the article if they say they will return to work full time on same pay and a relative will provide free childcare, there's not a lot we or a lender can do to verify it.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure