PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lemon Meringue Crumble

Options
Hi

Can someone tell me how to make a CRUMBLE Base to Lemon Meringue as I prefer this to the pastry base but I haven't made it in years and I can't seem to find a website with a receipe on it.

Any help would be great! :D
"I AM THE GATEKEEPER OF MY OWN DESTINY" Nacho Libre

'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :DDFW Member No.495

Comments

• comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Not sure about lemon meringue, but this is a biscuit base i use for banoffee or cheesecake, which is just 8oz digestive or ginger biscuits, and 4oz butter. Mix, press into a tin and bake in the oven for about 5 minutes.

A crumble mix i put on top of fruit, is 8oz s/r flour, 4 oz butter/marg, and 4 oz caster sugar, but dont know how well it would work under the meringue, but might be worth a try!!??
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    for a biscuit base you could use shortbread biscuits and melted butter i suppose you could add some grated lemon rind too
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    for biscuit base, I use a full packet of biscuits to half a standard pack of butter.

Pastry is half fat to flour, you can add some sugar to make it sweet though (if you want)

can you post your lemon meringue pie mix please.....

thanks
  • Warriorsith
    Warriorsith Posts: 441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Uniform Washer
    Options
    Here's the receipe:

Ingredients

12oz (300gm) Shortcrust pastry
    1/2 pint (300ml) water
    2 eggs
    1oz (25 gm) margarine
    21/2 tablespoons cornflour
    3-4oz (75-100gm) sugar
    rind and juice of one lemon

Equipment

8 inch (20 cm) flan dish

Method

Bake the pastry-case without a filling, by placing a piece of grease-proof paper/butter wrapper on the surface of pastry, weighted down by dried beans etc in a fairly hot oven - 400 degrees F, 200 degrees C, Gas Mark 6. Mix the cornflour to a smooth paste with a little of the water, putting the rest on to boil with the grated lemon rind. Pour onto the cornflour, mix well, return to the pan and boil for 5 minutes. Add the egg yolks and cook for a few minutes without boiling. Add the sugar, lemon juice and margarine, mix well. Pour into the cooked case. Beat the egg whites until stiff (ie you can tip the bowl upside down and the egg stays put) (this is a bit nerve wracking the first time you do it.) Add sugar to taste and sprinkle on top of the egg whites before cooking in a fairly hot oven to brown the meringue.

Also can Catowen post the receipe for Banoffee Pie! Ta!!!
    "I AM THE GATEKEEPER OF MY OWN DESTINY" Nacho Libre

'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :DDFW Member No.495
  • comping_cat
    Options
    Banoffee pie :-

8oz digestive biscuits
    4oz butter
    2 level tbsp caster sugar

Mix and bake for 5 - 8 mins - 310 C

2 large cans condensed milk
    1/4 pt whipping cream
    4 - 5 bananas

Boil, in the tins the condensed milk. Keep covered with water for at least an hour. Allow to cool slightly, then open and spread over the biscuit base and leave to cool.
    Layer bananas on top, then add whipped cream.

Another way of making the toffee, is :-

6oz butter
    6oz sugar
    397g tin condensed milk

Place butter and sugar into a pan, heat gently stirring until melted.
    Add condensed milk, heat gently stirring continuously. Simmer until a light golden caramel. Pour over biscuit base and leave to cool.
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    you can now buy the tins of toffee ready made by carnation i think tho i have resisted so far
  • Murtle
    Options
    hmmmm yum yum thanks for the receipes. Cat, I think your ingredients are butter and sugar - not butter and butter!!

They used to sell the carnation toffee type stuff in South Africa, it was suitable but not as good IMO as boiling the tins to get toffee (just don't let them boil dry, they don't taste as nice (bleugh) and have a horrible smell)

x x
  • comping_cat
    Options
    Murtle wrote:
    hmmmm yum yum thanks for the receipes. Cat, I think your ingredients are butter and sugar - not butter and butter!!

They used to sell the carnation toffee type stuff in South Africa, it was suitable but not as good IMO as boiling the tins to get toffee (just don't let them boil dry, they don't taste as nice (bleugh) and have a horrible smell)

x x

LOL, i hadnt noticed that!!!! Will go and change it now!!!!
  • Murtle
    Options
    I only noticed, as I have to force myself to read the ingredients lists now after all to often getting halfway through making something and then realising the ingredients list was in two columns and I only read the first one!!!!

:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport