PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How self sufficient can you get when you don't have a smallholding?

Options

Comments

• ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Options
    DH runs his car on waste vegetable oil. My kitchen at work is only to pleased for him to take it away as they have to pay to dispose of it. Before they supplied him, our local Indian takeaway and the pub up the road were joint suppliers.

Of course, you wouldn't want to drive behind him as it smells like a chip shop :D But it is a very self-sufficient way to run the car.

I suppose bees are out of the question? You hear more and more about people keeping bees in town, but generally they seem to be high up, on flat roofs etc. Our bees are on the riverbank at the bottom of our garden, so they don't disturb anyone. It wouldn't really have been feasible for us to have them in our old house as we had hotels on all sides, and there would have been bound to have been complaints...:(

Solar panels are feasible though, and will heat your hot water for you very nicely for eight months of the year. A woodburning stove and back boiler, or a Rayburn (other cast iron stoves are available) in the kitchen would also power radiators elsewhere in the house for you, though I know anything like a Rayburn is hideously expensive these days. Solar ovens (which can be homemade) can be left out in the garden in the summer (if we have one) and combined with a haybox to cook soups etc or used as a dehydrator. Your car can be used as a dehydrator if you park it in a sunny spot - hang things up on the dashboard and they will soon dry out! You can bottle fruit or pie fillings and tomato sauce to keep in your pantry rather than paying electricity to store it in your freezer. You can make and pasteurize your own apple juice (hang on, can't remember if you said you had an apple tree, apologies if not!), make your own cheese, cook and smoke your own ham....

What would you LIKE to do? There's loads of people on here who'll help you do it!
  • knithryn
    knithryn Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    You can be self-sufficient in fruit and salad crops during the summer.
    Be careful and you can store or preserve stuff for the winter but you will probably end up having to buy basics through the winter.

Some ideas
    Save seeds from tomatoes to grow this summer
    Grow cut and come again lettuce
    Look for 'sad' cheap veg plants that just need some water.
    Save marg tubs etc for growing seeds.
    Find a local place with horses and get manure (should be free).
    Print a map of your local area and start mapping out wild fruit - we now have plenty blackberries (we noted which ones are early, mid and late season), raspberries, apples, sloes, elderberry) - make jam, jelly, pies etc. Use some as Christmas presents and ask for suitable things like seeds if others are giving your gifts.
    Make your own wine (we also do beer and other stuff).:beer:
    Use a sewing machine to adapt/take in/ create clothes and home furnishings.
  • dom300186
    dom300186 Posts: 342 Forumite
    Options
    Just a see what other people do to save money be more enviro friendly etc

What do you make instead of buying?
    i would like to get more info/knowledge of what people do, i ahve time on my hands now as i am a stay at home mum and my 4 year old likes to help in the garden make bread etc.
    Trying to make big cut backs!!!

:TExpecting DS2 EDD 28/March/2012:T

:bdaycake:
  • Widelats
    Widelats Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Options
    it would help to know what you use first to be able to make yourself, i don't know your lifestyle or budget.

me, i weight train at home, no gym fees to cough up, i watch dvd instead of costly sky monthly rip off direct debits, i make all my own food much much healthier than any ready made or take away, i dont use butter or sugar in anything, things like this i save on.
    Owed out = lots. :cool:
  • Aarons_mummy
    Options
    I like to try new recipes that model takeaways, so much cheaper and also means I'm happy for the littlies to have some as it has an amont of salt, fat etc that I'm happy with.

I scour for good bargains for Christmas and Birthdays meaning I don't spend a fortune on gifts. I use half price/freebies for cards so I don't spend a fortune on those either.

I've just found some potatoes that have started sprouting so I'm going to stick those in the garden tomorrow.

I'm going to pick up some salad leaves and stick those in a pot in the garden, so technically not saving yet but I will be.

I have started doing lots of stuff with little one such as going on 'nature walks' in reality a free walk through the woods, much cheaper than say soft play or shopping etc. Instead of buying expensive childrens magazines I'll buy a colouring book or a puzzle of the same price that will last SO much longer.

I never throw anything away unless I really have to since I started using things up and having weird concoctions I've saved a lot of money.

Cakes and things are so easy to make and a lot cheaper than the supermarkets plus kids love helping. :D
    Credit Card: £796 Left/£900 October 2011 :eek:
    Store Card: £100 October 2011 :o
    Declutter 100 Things In January 100/100:j:beer:
    No Buying Toiletries 2012
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    i really wish i was self sufficient but unfortunately it is not the case though we do grow alot of veggies through the year keeps some cost down plus i buy and sell clothes/pressies etc on ebay and do car boots all helps to keep costs down
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Something you could do with your little one is "pick your own" fruit in summer and make things like jam, chutney, 'bottled' fruit, flavoured spirits (damson gin is amazing!) etc. They are great for presents throughout the year, and to use at home. I store jars through the year to re-use at jam time - ones that I can't get the label off properly get used at home or for non-occasion gifts for close friends and family (a plain white stationary label or even masking tape is a good idea so you know what is in the jar!), and I use nice labels from Hobbycraft for gift jars. If you get too much fruit to process in one go, you can freeze to cook with later on.

Growing stuff is easy if you have time and space. Potatoes and 'squash' family such as courgettes, pumpkins, butternut etc are easy to grow. Salad leaves are also easy, but don't plant them all at once otherwise you will have a glut of lettuce and not be able to store it all! Plant a few seeds every week or two through the season and it will be more manageable.
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • soupdragon10
    Options
    One really cost saving thing that I've started doing is making my own tortilla wraps. Very quick and simple, but cost pennies and you can vary the flavour to suit your tastes.

Going to have a go at pitta bread and possibly bagels (which I love) especially the onion ones.
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    I don't have the garden space to be self-sufficient, unfortunately. I do, however, make use of the limited space I have by growing in pots and leaving the garden (back and front) for flowers and shrubs. I have gooseberries, blackcurrants and strawberries in tubs. In smaller pots I grow herbs and salad leaves. I also grow potatoes in garden refuse bags (£1 each from Poundland)

I also make good use of what Mother Nature provides free in the summer months. Bilberries from the moors, Elderberries and Rowanberries from the trees, Blackberries from the Hedgerows and, come September, Crab Apples and wild Pears. Finally in October, after the first frosts it's time to be attacked by the Blackthorn whilst picking Sloes!. These are all made into jams and jelly, chutney, relish, pies, crumbles, cordial, Sloe Gin, Blackberry Vodka, etc. I have a spare chest freezer in the garage just for storing all the fruit we pick and it lasts a good 12 months until the fruit picking season starts again! I make far more than we could possible eat so my family benefit too!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 26 April 2011 at 12:02PM
    Options
    I too forage for blackberries with my DGS in the autumn.I live in Kent and never have to go too far to find bushes laden down with them.Our local Country Park is brilliant for this. I wouldn't be so keen to pick berries from the road side owing to passing car emissions or fron 'dog height' owing to their emissions either :). I always manage to get more than enough which I soak and wash in salt (kills any nasty grubs) then open freeze to use in pies or mushed up in yogurts or ice cream throughout the winter.We also pick up 'fallers' from any apple trees we find.Taken home and peeled and cooked and frozen again a great pie filler. Free food that doesn't go to waste
    I also make Christmas and birthday cards and am a prolific knitter,(recycle jumpers by unpicking wool, washing and reknitting it into blankets.make most of my cakes and biscuits but not bread, even though I have a (breadmaker sitting on top of the cupboard totally never been used)It will probably sit there as no way can I climb up on a step ladder to get it and its too heavy for me to lift anyway.I am not a great bread eater anyway ,one of my rather foolish buys I'm afraid,we all have them at times.I used to grow my own veg but clapped out joints and old age beat me so veg growing is out.I do try to find a use for most thing though and by cooking from scratch I think I save bundles
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure