MVHR recommendations

Options
About this time last year, a recommendation for a solar installation firm on this board saved us a rather large sum of money. I'm hoping that someone might be able to do the same again, but this time for a ventilation system. Our 1960s semi turns out to be rather more airtight than we expected, and we have a severe condensation problem, even on the inside of triple glazing (let alone the old double glazing, the bedroom window embrasure and, most problematically, the corner of one bedroom which seems to need persistent mould treatment). We are running the heating higher than we would like to, keeping a dehumidifier going all day, have had the roof inspected for leaks, open the windows every morning and after anyone has a bath or shower -none of which we really want to be doing- and dry the laundry outside as much as is humanly possible, but we still have an issue. We are therefore looking at getting some kind of ventilation system, probably MVHR for the top floor, but open to suggestions of passive ventilation. The firm who came to do a survey for us never got back with the results, so we are back to square one and looking for a reliable, affordable, installer. We are based in Bucks (but also within reach of Oxford and London). Has anyone had this done and knows someone they would recommend? Thank you!
2019 Fashion on the Ration 4/66 coupons "spent".

Comments

• legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,005 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is having an electric heating element worthwhile if you have gch?

This unit has no heat recovery but is obviously a much simpler set up, I thought the OP was looking for a heat recovery system. How would e operating costs of this compare to the dehumidifier the OP is already using - I note these units can be operated form a humidity sensor.
    I think....
  • legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    Is having an electric heating element worthwhile if you have gch?

This unit has no heat recovery but is obviously a much simpler set up, I thought the OP was looking for a heat recovery system. How would e operating costs of this compare to the dehumidifier the OP is already using - I note these units can be operated form a humidity sensor.

It’s a 400w element and uses very little electricity....compared to using a dehumidifier. I know several people that have fitted them, one who previously ran 3 dehumidifiers. They are all very happy with them.
    I fitted ours myself in just over 2 hours:) I have a humidity sensor and in the last month the humidity has tumbled.:T
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • ahw23
    ahw23 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. We do have gas central heating, so the heating element isn't really necessary, but we're open to all suggestions. It would have to be something ducted, rather than just one room, however, as the issues are both in the bathroom and in the bedroom(s) being used at the time. When someone did come to look around for a survey, vents to all upstairs rooms, plus some ducting down through the airing cupboard into the kitchen, was suggested. It would also have to be pretty quiet: the dehumidifier has to go off at night to avoid keeping me awake, even if it's downstairs.
    2019 Fashion on the Ration 4/66 coupons "spent".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure