additional hours

Options
I am a software developer. A few weeks ago I asked a question about working overtime. I have a work laptop at home and I regularly work additional hours. I enjoy what I do and I can sometimes literally spend all day on a Saturday and sometimes sunday working. I also work evenings occasionally.

I am under a lot of pressure at work and there is a lot to do. It has been like this for six years.

I was thinking about asking for an additional payment, maybe a bonus for the extra work. I am the only developer. If the work was not done then I would be in trouble.

Does anyone else have experience asking for a bonus like this and were you successful? I am a member of a trade union but don't think they can help but not sure.

Comments

• stevemLS
    stevemLS Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Options
    I regularly do the same.

However, as far as I know, unless your employer authorises the overtime or specifically asks you to do it, you are not entitled to any payment for it.

That doesn't stop you asking for a bonus, you may not get it though.
  • w00519772
    w00519772 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    stevemLS wrote: »
    I regularly do the same.

However, as far as I know, unless your employer authorises the overtime or specifically asks you to do it, you are not entitled to any payment for it.

That doesn't stop you asking for a bonus, you may not get it though.

What do you do for a living? How many additional hours do you work per week on average?
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Overtime pay will be stated on your contract but bonus is something else.
    Do you have an annual bonus scheme? If it is a large company, it is unlikely that they will give you a bonus in the middle of the year just because you do overtime.

However sometimes smaller companies will hand additional payments to employees as a thank you.

You can ask for a pay rise or you can ask for it to be reflected on your pay.

My OH is working at IT and was in a similar position, he likes the job and can happily spend his weekends on it and was working for a small company with 20ish people. He was regularly sent small but extra cash as a thank you.

Overall though, despite the pressure, I'd say , don't waste your weekends / evenings for this. I have had roles that I liked and did the same and at the end noone even said thank you. Looking back now, not sure whether it was necessary while I could spend that time on something more meaningful.
    ally.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If the workload is too high then negotiate on that,

You say you will get into trouble what are they going to do sack you.

just geting a pay rise or authorized overtime will just make the situation worse as you will have difficulty in back peddling if you need to cut back the hours for some reason

IME in IT there are things that are never critical to the business but people think are important so get added to the list.

Start to manage your workload, saying there is too much to do, we need to prioritize as not all this work can be done in the hours available.
    Stop doing it all using up your weekends.

When things get added to the list ask what will get dropped to fit that in.
    You may have to play the stakeholders against each other and get their bosses to agree priorities.

Downt let the it's all important and has to be done or else approach take over, use the if you won't prioritize I will have to do it(do some anyway for things that can definately wait)

They either need to manage the workload better and/or add resources.
    You need to look for things that can be done by others

What do they do for holidays and sick?
  • stevemLS
    stevemLS Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Options
    w00519772 wrote: »
    What do you do for a living? How many additional hours do you work per week on average?

I'm a lawyer, contracted to work 37.5hrs, average 50 - 60 pw
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If this situation has been on-going for 6 years perhaps there is a case to make for starting more bodies.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport