LGPS Pension scheme

Options
Hi all,

Hopefully right place to post this question and hope someone can help me.

My wife recently changed jobs and moved to work in a school. She joined the LGPS scheme. Yesterday she rang up to move her pension from old work (think she said Ageon, worked in Building society) LGPS said they can't accept it, said only take pensions from other schools, NHS etc. Can't accept private pensions.

Is this right? Just that when I joined the LGPS myself I could move my old wok pension scheme, it was 9 years ago so I appreciate things might have changed.

Thanks,

Comments

• hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cook0891 wrote: »
    Hopefully right place to post this question and hope someone can help me.

The pensions forum would have been better (http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19).
    My wife recently changed jobs and moved to work in a school. She joined the LGPS scheme. Yesterday she rang up to move her pension from old work (think she said Ageon, worked in Building society) LGPS said they can't accept it, said only take pensions from other schools, NHS etc. Can't accept private pensions.

Is this right?

It's an 'administering authority' discretion whether to accept so-called 'non-Club' transfers-in. The vast majority do, however the biggest LGPS fund (GMPF) does not.
  • cook0891
    cook0891 Posts: 144 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hyubh wrote: »
    The pensions forum would have been better (http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19).

It's an 'administering authority' discretion whether to accept so-called 'non-Club' transfers-in. The vast majority do, however the biggest LGPS fund (GMPF) does not.

Ah right, sorry didn't realise there was a pensions forum. And thanks for the reply.
  • hyubh
    Options
    Ah right, sorry didn't realise there was a pensions forum. And thanks for the reply.

No problem - the answer would have been the same ;)
  • hyubh
    Options
    No problem - the answer would have been the same ;)

PS - what LGPS fund specifically is your wife a member of? If their discretions policy (which they must have published) isn't online, she should ask for a copy to confirm that non-Club transfers-in aren't accepted. (There's a slim chance the administrator on the end of the phone got it wrong.)
  • cook0891
    Options
    PS - what LGPS fund specifically is your wife a member of? If their discretions policy (which they must have published) isn't online, she should ask for a copy to confirm that non-Club transfers-in aren't accepted. (There's a slim chance the administrator on the end of the phone got it wrong.)

I am not 100% sure what you mean but she is a teaching assistant if that is what you mean? I will chase again and see/hope for a different answer, although I think it will still be the same.
  • hyubh
    Options
    I am not 100% sure what you mean but she is a teaching assistant if that is what you mean?

The job's irrelevant. I meant, who was it she rang up - who is 'the LGPS'? Essex County Council's pension section? Shropshire Council's pension department? Etc. It won't be the school itself since schools don't run their own pension funds, but participate in a local authority's, even if the school isn't local authority maintained.
  • cook0891
    Options
    The job's irrelevant. I meant, who was it she rang up - who is 'the LGPS'? Essex County Council's pension section? Shropshire Council's pension department? Etc. It won't be the school itself since schools don't run their own pension funds, but participate in a local authority's, even if the school isn't local authority maintained.

Ah right, it is Leicestershire County Council she spoke to.
  • hyubh
    Options
    Ah right, it is Leicestershire County Council she spoke to.

OK, I can't see their formal discretions policy document on their website, however the FAQ page for active members basically confirms their no non-Club transfers-in rule unfortunately:

https://www.leicestershire.gov.uk/jobs-and-volunteering/working-for-the-council/local-government-pensions/active-members/pension-scheme-–-frequently-asked-questions
  • cook0891
    Options
    OK, I can't see their formal discretions policy document on their website, however the FAQ page for active members basically confirms their no non-Club transfers-in rule unfortunately:

https://www.leicestershire.gov.uk/jobs-and-volunteering/working-for-the-council/local-government-pensions/active-members/pension-scheme-–-frequently-asked-questions

Thank you very much for that, appreciate it, even if wasn't the news I wanted. She will just have to have this one and also her old one. Not the end of the world, just would have been nice as I know I moved mine over many years ago. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure