PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

shopping bill reduction/meal ideas please

Options
Hi all,
I came across this site yesterday whilst looking for recipies for my old school favorites and became hooked instantly.
We, myself, hubby and 3 kids (12.9 and 3) are lucky enough to already be mortgage free in our 30's due to sale of home and purchase of property abroad.
My hubby is self employed and I run the 'office' side of things.
We are renovating a property and have been living half in a caravan and half in the 'renovation in progress' property.
My main question to you all is how to reduce my shoppping bill?
We grow our own veggies and fruit, Keep chickens for eggs and for the pot and have recently started to raise lambs to provide meat!! but I always seem to spend masses at the local supermarket and always need to go back again during the week for bits and pieces.
Im sure I could reduce it by buying ingredients for 'proper' meals to last the week. Does anyone have any good old fashioned hearty recipies to cheaply feed a familly of 5??

Comments

• **purpleprincess**
    Options
    Take a look at the mega index!
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Does anyone have any good old fashioned hearty recipies to cheaply feed a familly of 5??
    Is the Pope catholic? Is the Queen 80? Do we have recipes? yes we do :rotfl: As Purpleprincess says the easiest thing to do is look at the mega index and you will find more information than you thought possible.Welcome to the OS board :T
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My tip is to use a little less meat in things like spag.bol, casseroles etc... and bulk it out with extra veg and pulses.

Serve smaller portions but have some bread and butter with it. It's just as filling.

I usually make a large batch of things likes spag.bol, lasagne,chilli con carne,various casseroles, and then freeze portions of it. I also take some of it to work to avoid buying microwave meals.

If you have some leftover casserole, you could blitz it with a blender and have it as a soup.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure