new job, time for new plans.

Options
Hi folks,

not posted for a while.

I got a new job from January which means that I will have an additional £315 take home pay per month. Not sure whether to throw it all at debts or to build up a decent emergency fund?

I currently pay £1115 of my wages towards our debts each month so I am already making hefty overpayments.

What would you do?

Comments

• sithemadmonkey
    Options
    Do you currently have an emergency fund of any kind? If not, I would definitely go for that rather than paying down debts, at least to begin with. Always best to be sure that, if the new job doesn't end up the way you've hoped, you've got a safety cushion to help you out for a bit.
  • asparagus1968
    Options
    Hi, what debts do you have and how much interest do they charge?
    I'd probably do £100 a month emergency, £200 debt,£15 treat fund :)
    LIVE SIMPLY * GIVE MORE * EXPECT LESS * BE THANKFUL

• Determined_diva
    Options
    Hi there
    Like Asparagus I would split it, but I would do £200 emergency, £100 debt, £15 treat at first just to make sure you have a fund incase it doesnt work out for you... if it does then you can always transfer some of the savings over to debt at a later stage

DDx
    Started again 25th December 2017
    Current tracking - £7,955.84/ £18,282.25 to pay off. (31.12.19)
  • midlander81
    Options
    Hi, what debts do you have and how much interest do they charge?
    I'd probably do £100 a month emergency, £200 debt,£15 treat fund :)

Hi Asparagus,

We started our debt free journey a few months ago with a scary 40k debt so quite a lot!! On the plus side we are able to pay the best part of £1500 per month with most of the debts being either 0% or low interest so we can expect to be debt free in 2 years.
  • nprabz
    Options
    Hi folks,

not posted for a while.

I got a new job from January which means that I will have an additional £315 take home pay per month. Not sure whether to throw it all at debts or to build up a decent emergency fund?

I currently pay £1115 of my wages towards our debts each month so I am already making hefty overpayments.

What would you do?
    Yes - absolutely - build an emergency fund - for that unexpected repair, service call, unexpected circumstances that takes you out of work for a few days, etc
  • Toomuchtodo
    Options
    If you don't have an emergency fund already I would put it all to that up to a set amount, then start adding it to debt repayment. I am currently building up my EF as I figured that if an emergency comes up it would end up on the cc, so better to be prepared!
    Emergency Fund Challenge #26 £250/£1000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport