So now I have a solar PV system how do I make the most of it???

Options

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    derekoak wrote: »
    I do not have solar panel but my son has 3.9Kw array. I expected that the panel would produce most electricity when there was maximal solar insolation. It appears not. May,June July and August are not as good as you might expect. I think this is because over 25 degree c solar panels are less efficient.
    Perhaps in the future PV arrays will be water cooled and the warm water used for preheating domestic hot water. It struck me that it might be worth experimenting with misting the panel with cold water on hot days to see if the generation improves?
    Does anyone know if this idea is true or has anyone done it?

Hello Derek, as D&D said, this is a little odd, highest generation should really be in May to August, with May through July very similar results, and August just starting to decline a little.

The panels do drop off as they get hot, they'll only max out for a minute or two, but then hold around 90% once hot. So long sunny days allow longer total generation, unless your son means peak generation for a short time, which might be during shorter / colder days.

You're spot on about cooling, for total generation you want long clear days, but for short peaks, a quick cloud or sun shower, then back to full sun (with cooler panel) can create some great figures. Once my 2.4 panels, through a 2.5 inverter, hit and held 2.6kW for about 2 mins following a short cloud. After about 2 mins sustained power back to about 2.2kW.

Heard of one guy spraying panels with a hosepipe on a very good day trying to get 30kWh's in one day (more for fun challenge), apparently burnt his bare feet!

Hope your son is having fun.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • cazarol
    cazarol Posts: 780 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Any chance you can post the make and model of inverter installed?

I'm assuming you have 2kWp of panels on each of the E and W roofs. If the inverter isn't designed to cope with these individually (MPPT type), then the W will brake the E in the morning, and vice versa. This will kill your generation all day.

Possibly you have shallow roof angle that is pulling generation down a bit during winter, but 4.3kWh's sounds low given some of the good days we saw in early Feb, even with 'new' inverter.

No need to panic, but something doesn't add up here. Any specs you can post would help?

Mart.

Edit: Damn, Dave just beat me to it!

Thanks for the replies Dave and Mart. (Can't quote both I'm afraid)
    We have 16 panels, 8 on each side. The invertor details I have are SMA Sunny Explorer. SN: 2100548322, I'm not sure if this is a dual MPP. On our original quote they state that the overshadowing is taken as zero. How do I find out what my roof angle is?
    Today we have produced 4.279kw and my friend has produced 5.6 !
    Your thoughts and input is very much appreciated.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    rw268 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I've had a 3kw system installed and up on my roof for 2 months now - South facing at 40deg on the Isle of Wight. I have generated 24 kw in the first month and 36 kw in the second (Dec to Jan and Jan to Feb). I appreciate this will get better as the days get longer and we have more sun etc. But do these figures seem comparible to other users experiences?
    Any information would be appreciated

Hello RW, as D&D said, that generation doesn't sound quite right, I put the info you posted into this site:

http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis/apps4/pvest.php#

and it suggested (only an average) 77 units for Dec, 94 for Jan, and 145 for Feb.

Obviously only estimates, and they will vary from year to year with varying weather. However, 24 and 36 seem a little low.

Can you post any more specs, such as panel types, inverter make and model. Is there anything odd about the installation, or simply a lot of shading at this time of year due to low sun angle (possible).

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    edited 15 February 2012 at 10:08PM
    Options
    cazarol wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies Dave and Mart. (Can't quote both I'm afraid)
    We have 16 panels, 8 on each side. The invertor details I have are SMA Sunny Explorer. SN: 2100548322, I'm not sure if this is a dual MPP. On our original quote they state that the overshadowing is taken as zero. How do I find out what my roof angle is?
    Today we have produced 4.279kw and my friend has produced 5.6 !
    Your thoughts and input is very much appreciated.

Caz, sunny explorer is a bluetooth interface, what you need is a model name, possibly a Sunny Boy 4000?

Hopefully then we can check to see if it has MPPT.

Edit: apologies for the abbreviation, multi point power tracking, allowing two different feeds that don't effect each other.

Edit2: Not doing well today, sorry. To measure roof angle, two ways, take the dimensions of the triangle (post them if this is tricky) and use calculus to work out angle. Or watch as 'clever clogs' wife downloads a spirit level app to smart phone and measures the angle by holding it to the roof(s) total time about 1 min. Who do you reckon the smart one is?

Mart.

• GaryMo_2
    Options
    lanstrom wrote: »
    Hi Angela,

Welcome to the forums and don't forget to join the MSE Team on PVoutput ...[/url]

Look forward to seeing your outputs :)

Hope you don't mind but I've jumped in too :j
    16 x 250W JA Solar Panels (JAM6-60-250) : Fronius IG TL 3.6 Inverter : South Facing : 28 Degree Pitch : No Shading : Manchester M46
  • lanstrom
    Options
    GaryMo wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind but I've jumped in too :j

The more, the merrier :)
  • cazarol
    cazarol Posts: 780 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Caz, sunny explorer is a bluetooth interface, what you need is a model name, possibly a Sunny Boy 4000?

Hopefully then we can check to see if it has MPPT.

Edit: apologies for the abbreviation, multi point power tracking, allowing two different feeds that don't effect each other.

Edit2: Not doing well today, sorry. To measure roof angle, two ways, take the dimensions of the triangle (post them if this is tricky) and use calculus to work out angle. Or watch as 'clever clogs' wife downloads a spirit level app to smart phone and measures the angle by holding it to the roof(s) total time about 1 min. Who do you reckon the smart one is?

Mart.

Thanks Mart. I know who isn't smart and that is me !!!!!!
    Have just been up into the loft and the invertor is red and black and just says Sunny Boy on it but no sign of a model number. I am going to email our supplier and ask for the model number, is there any other info I should ask while I am in touch with them.
    Once again thanks for your time
  • Martyn1981
    edited 16 February 2012 at 8:38AM
    Options
    cazarol wrote: »
    Thanks Mart. I know who isn't smart and that is me !!!!!!
    Have just been up into the loft and the invertor is red and black and just says Sunny Boy on it but no sign of a model number. I am going to email our supplier and ask for the model number, is there any other info I should ask while I am in touch with them.
    Once again thanks for your time

No probs Caz, it's all fun.

Obviously ask for model type. SMA a German company manufacture the Sunny Boy's (and windy boys's, I kid you not, for wind turbines). Thay have a lot of models, I have a SB1200, and a SB2400 (Edit: SB2500, connected to 2.4kWp).

You need something like that, I suspect SB4000. Definitely ask the supplier if the model is an MPPT, or as you said, has dual PPT. If not then the lower feed could act as a brake on the higher feed, just like a shaded panel can pull down a whole system. And with E and W panels, half will always be shaded, relative to the others (possibly not at high noon, but you know what I mean).

Do you have any registration docs, invoices etc, as the inverter make and model are probably on those too?

If you know the height of your roof and one of the other dimensions, floor from centre to edge, or roof from gutter to ridge, we should be able to work out the angle quickly.

Mart.

PS: Apologies to all for hogging this thread tonight.

• don0301
    don0301 Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    horse2k.png
  • lanstrom
    Options
    There's also the FREE SMA app for the iPhone or iPod touch if you have one.

This will tell you the angle but I don't know if it will work on the inside (loft). I went onto the roof whilst the scaffolding was up and lay my iPod on the brackets. It tied in exactly with what the installer had said (22 degs). Pretty naff for this time of year but still managed 6+kWh today.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback