Alighting at earlier train stop?

Options
So as a family we have booked 4 sets of Advance Single tix up and down to Berwick for the Easter Hols

Since booking we now need to hire a car once we're there, it's a lot cheaper to get one in Newcastle en route

I wish to alight the train early to collect hire-car but Virgin say I can't do this as tix are point to point

If I book and have in-hand a Berwick to Newcastle ticket when leaving Newcastle station would be I ok despite not actually having travelled that leg?

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MrWalt wrote: »
    Virgin say I can't do this as tix are point to point

Answered your own Q
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do we need this second thread?

What was wrong with your earlier thread?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Scattergun approach perhaps? ;)
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd love to help but have never worked out whether 'alight' means to get on or off :(
  • neilio
    neilio Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 March 2017 at 1:08PM
    Options
    Post deleted.

Apologies, my comment was assuming you were travelling up from the south but it sounds like you are coming down from the north, so my comment made no sense. Sorry.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    neilio wrote: »
    Post deleted.

Apologies, my comment was assuming you were travelling up from the south but it sounds like you are coming down from the north, so my comment made no sense. Sorry.

The OP is travelling from the south to Berwick and is considering stopping short at Newcastle. As part of his cunning plan, he is asking whether buying an extra ticket from Berwick to Newcastle will absolve him from breaking the Advance Ticket rules.

The OP's question has been answered on his other thread.
  • neilio
    neilio Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    The OP is travelling from the south to Berwick and is considering stopping short at Newcastle. As part of his cunning plan, he is asking whether buying an extra ticket from Berwick to Newcastle will absolve him from breaking the Advance Ticket rules.

The OP's question has been answered on his other thread.

Oops. I just re-read again. Clearly it's been a hard week and I'm not paying attention on here. Sorry for needlessly clogging up the thread. :doh:
  • pendragon_arther
    Options
    Has the world gone mad? You buy a ticket from A to B and if you want to get off sooner than B you can't?

Re-nationalise the railways springs to mind.
    “Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”
    ― Groucho Marx
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,834 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Has the world gone mad? You buy a ticket from A to B and if you want to get off sooner than B you can't?

If you buy the severely restricted cheap advance tickets, then no you can't

And then I suspect that those severely restricted cheap advance tickets wouldn't be available at all
  • JezR
    JezR Posts: 1,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Not being allowed to stop short on these kinds of tickets goes back to the days of British Rail and Apex.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure