Charging Order? The myth

Options

Comments

• Choochybaby69
    Options
    Hi Eggbox,
    Does a creditor have any obligation to keep me informed of the debt, with a charge on my property, that is accruing interest, or is it up to me to ask them for up-dates? Do they have to keep me informed of how much it is?
    Thanks, Choochy baby
  • DAKOTA45
    DAKOTA45 Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
    Ah… seems I'm not allowed to post attachments...

You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may edit your posts
    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    code is On HTML code is Off

D45
  • DAKOTA45
    DAKOTA45 Posts: 592 Forumite
    edited 1 June 2017 at 3:39PM
    Options
    Deleted...
  • Googly_eye
    Googly_eye Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone, thank you for the really great information on this thread, its just a fantastic help. My house is currently on the market and I am preparing myself for hopefully a quick sale. We have several restrictions against our property of which are either in my name or my husbands name, not joint. I recently started contacting solicitors to enquire on their knowledge of charging orders and restrictions. One solicitor has advised that to try and get a head of the game I am required to contact the creditors and advise them that we are selling the property and to obtain a letter from them to advise that they have been informed of our forth coming disposition. From reading this thread it appears that the creditor should be advised direct from our solicitor and not until we are ready to complete, please could anyone advise? If I am to contact the creditors direct I am happy to do so but maybe a little concerned on the wording I should use. Any help/advise will be greatly appreciated.
  • eggbox
    eggbox Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Googly_eye wrote: »
    One solicitor has advised that to try and get a head of the game I am required to contact the creditors and advise them that we are selling the property and to obtain a letter from them to advise that they have been informed of our forth coming disposition. From reading this thread it appears that the creditor should be advised direct from our solicitor

The solicitor giving the above advice is, almost certainly, assuming that you are going to pay the debts owed from the sale proceeds? If that is not your intention then, as the seller, you (or your solicitor) aren't required to contact any creditors involved.

This thread also explains that, for a Standard Form K Restriction, it is the BUYER or his Solicitor that is required to inform any creditors of the sale NOT the seller.

This is because the wording, in the terms of the Restriction, explains that it must be the Buyer (or his agent) that certifies they have informed the creditor of the sale (to the Land Registry) not the seller.
  • eggbox
    Options
    Hi Eggbox,
    Does a creditor have any obligation to keep me informed of the debt, with a charge on my property, that is accruing interest, or is it up to me to ask them for up-dates? Do they have to keep me informed of how much it is?

Under the terms of a loan made under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, the creditor has to inform the debtor of certain details at certain times. Once a Judgement has been given on the debt, however, then the CCA 1974 no longer applies and the creditor has no obligation to update you.

So its up to you to contact them if you require an update on the debt amount.
  • eggbox
    Options
    DAKOTA45 wrote: »
    I just wanted to put something on here which proves that solicitors are fully clued up about restrictions… it's a statement by Bloke Moron LLP saying that a Form K provides no security… it was used in a 'Without Notice' application to the court as a reason to request a modification to the the Form K Charging Order, as, without modification, the Judgement Creditor has no security for the debt because he is only notified after disposition.
    This firm wrote about the uselessness of Restrictions some time ago, but the link seems to have disappeared.
    I wonder if we will see more 'modifications' as time goes on?

Hi Dakota

I think what you are referring to only proves Bloke Moron understood the implications of the Form K Restrictions limitations, not solicitors in general? We've seen posters here explain they have contacted, literally, over a dozen solicitors and discover none of them understand why a Form K is (or should be) such weak security for the creditor. So I think that proves BM were a one off?

Also, the passage you refer to that BM wrote, explaining for the legal community exactly why a Form K is (or, again, should be) useless to the creditor, disappeared when debtors began using the information provided to their advantage and began selling without paying up.

The passage you refer to did, actually, sway the solicitor used by Brightonian (a fellow poster on here who sold without settling the CO's) as it was a Law firm explaining the weakness of the Form K Restriction?

But with regard to the "modifications" you refer to; I'd keep quiet about those as any Solicitors reading this thread may not realise they can be applied for?
  • Googly_eye
    Options
    Thank you Eggbox, hopefully I will find a solicitor that understands that.
  • Googly_eye
    Options
    eggbox wrote: »
    The solicitor giving the above advice is, almost certainly, assuming that you are going to pay the debts owed from the sale proceeds? If that is not your intention then, as the seller, you (or your solicitor) aren't required to contact any creditors involved.

This thread also explains that, for a Standard Form K Restriction, it is the BUYER or his Solicitor that is required to inform any creditors of the sale NOT the seller.

This is because the wording, in the terms of the Restriction, explains that it must be the Buyer (or his agent) that certifies they have informed the creditor of the sale (to the Land Registry) not the seller.

Sorry one more question and probably an obvious answer but one must ask - What if the buyer or his agent refuses to make contact with the creditors, I am presuming the sale will fall through? If that is the case is there anything I could do to intervene, apart from paying off the restrictions, which I cant do? Thanks
  • eggbox
    Options
    Googly_eye wrote: »
    Sorry one more question and probably an obvious answer but one must ask - What if the buyer or his agent refuses to make contact with the creditors, I am presuming the sale will fall through? If that is the case is there anything I could do to intervene, apart from paying off the restrictions, which I cant do? Thanks

There isn't any logical reason why a buyer wouldn't want to comply with a Restriction as it facilitates the house purchase. But to answer the question, in that scenario only paying off the debt (to allow you to remove the Restriction) would probably be the only way to proceed with the sale.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback