MoneySaving Poll: Will you miss your local library if it's shut down?

Options
Poll started 5 April 2016

Will you miss your local library if it's shut down?

Councils across the country are cutting library budgets and even closing them in an effort to make savings. In the last six years alone, 343 council-run libraries have closed, leading to the loss of nearly 8,000 jobs.

Some say in the internet age a library is no longer a necessity – then again, some visit it to access the internet.

Do you love your library or not even know where it is?

What’s your view..?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• aldredd
    aldredd Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    For me personally, I could quite live without it.

However, we take our 2 children probably once a week - it's a great way of them getting excited about books and reading.

Our local library even provides support for my son's talking which has been a little behind through special structured weekly groups before opening time.

We have a lot of books for the children at home, so they wouldn't miss out on opportunities to read, but would miss out trying out different styles of books as they progress (eg, my daughter just starting to get into Roald Dahl)

It's also a cheap/free way of keeping the kids entertained for a couple of hours, and getting some exercise on the way down/back :)
  • loverofwine
    Options
    The vast majority of people will benefit from a local library at some stage of their life. For some though it is a lifeline. There's a big campaign running on this today on Twitter @defendtheten #carnegieoccupation. Worth a look even if you don't agree.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes we would, we attend once a week to join story time and our daughter chooses a new book for the week. We also attend twice a week for special sessions that our disabled son attends and enjoys.
  • kkgree1
    kkgree1 Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Difficult to vote on this as our local library is a "Book Cafe" run entirely by volunteers.

I use it at least once a fortnight and would miss it if it were gone but I believe it is the way forward to keep access to libraries in small communities.

It runs every Monday afternoon, Thursday evening and Saturday morning for 2 hours in the local village hall. They keep a good variety of books and have access to the county system so they can order any books on request if needed. They also have 2 computers available for internet access.

They run a cafe alongside it to help with costs as well as several fundraising events a year (quiz night, book stall, etc).

As much as I value libraries, they need to change to keep up with the ever changing world. Working in a sixth-form we no longer have a library as our age group use electronic resources only!
    Mortgage free wannabe
    Mortgage (November 2010) £135,850
    Mortgage (November 2020) £4,784
  • aldredd
    edited 6 April 2016 at 8:53AM
    Options
    kkgree1 wrote: »

They run a cafe alongside it to help with costs as well as several fundraising events a year (quiz night, book stall, etc).

And this is where they're really missing a trick.

I was in the main city library yesterday. It was pretty busy in there - mainly with students studying.
    However, they were all sat there with their Starbucks coffee cups they've brought with them.

Why aren't the libraries themselves offering this? Even if they just allowed a franchise concession to setup in branch - should bring more people in, whilst making a bit of cash at the same time.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It makes you wonder where all this is going to end.
    I recall pre 1974 when local gov't reorganisation took place. At that time any rates bill included charges for water. Then after 1974 you had in addition to your rates bill a water bill.

As the years have gone by fewer services are provided, for example now you'll pay separately for garden rubbish removal, planning applications, building regulations applications, and various other services that used to be funded from the general rates (now council tax).

One wonders if soon you'll have to pay for road repairs out the front of your house. Meanwhile council tax will be collected to pay for the bureaucrats to do what exactly?
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    aldredd wrote: »
    And this is where they're really missing a trick.

I was in the main city library yesterday. It was pretty busy in there - mainly with students studying.
    However, they were all sat there with their Starbucks coffee cups they've brought with them.

Why aren't the libraries themselves offering this? Even if they just allowed a franchise to setup in branch - should bring more people in, whilst making a bit of cash at the same time.

As long as it's a tax paying coffee company that would be a good idea, Starbucks still don't pay their full tax I last heard, so I still boycott them!
    It's more jobs for people too - we need more jobs as there is a dire shortage of jobs all over the UK.
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    I have been to libraries since I was first taken as a child and I took my children frequently to one so they could read new books all the time.

I also read to my children every night when they were very young and then they read to me each night after starting school. It was a task but I felt very important to help them with reading - I also helped children at their infant school with reading and those that didn't read at home struggled more, very sad to see this and how lazy some parents were.

It is an important part of a child's life to read from books - I am so sick of seeing parents glued to mobile phones and not talking to their children directly anymore. Turn your mobiles off and make time for your children, why have them otherwise?
  • chocaholicmanc
    Options
    I'll be honest I've visited a library once in the last few years (except to wander round the refurbished central library in Manchester and John Rylands library - both beautiful!). However, many of my fondest memories from my childhood are from visiting our local library. I've always been an avid reader and there is no chance my parents could have afforded to buy me all the books I went through!

Now I have a huge library of books at home and a kindle (for convenience) and have no need of a library. However, I believe they are vital for inciting a love of reading in children. It also teaches responsibility for looking after someone elses property and returning it by the deadline given. I'm sure there must be plenty of people who use libraries as they don't have internet connections at home and for the various groups which meet at them.

I agree with the poster above who mentioned diversifying into cafes, etc which could bring much needed revenue into them.

Putting public money into libraries is necessary and worthwhile. I truly hope it continues for a long time.
  • aldredd
    Options
    As long as it's a tax paying coffee company that would be a good idea

Seconded! A Starbucks would be counter-productive, but plenty of others, or on a DIY basis!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure