Remo

Options
Started new thread.. thought this was easier

I have been trying to get CS from ex husband since 2011.

He lived in Hungary and then Germany.

I went through REMO, got a court order at my local court which they suggested and sat and waited. 3 years later I am still waiting.

Due to lack of address the German courts closed the case.
They have now reopened it because I have sent them information that he has started working in Germany. He is living out of hotels so that he can't be found.

This man gave up work on purpose to go back packing around the world for a year. Staying in 5 star hotels.

Has bought a bike and a van.

Has gone on bike trips around Europe.

Flies back and forth to UK to visit family and occasionally to see daughter.

He has told my daughter.. Mum has sky TV how can she afford that if she is penniless. I have my money she has hers.

I have tried sending him the CSA list of things a child needs "How much it cost to bring up a child" but he just says I can only afford to give you £70 month.

I have never stopped access but I have stopped meeting him at the services due to a drain on my petrol.

What else can I do?

When he was living in UK he was paying nearly £300 per month through CSA.

He is a good dad otherwise and his parental skills is not in question. He just feels that his money he worked 4 should be his.

I only work part time due to school pick ups etc... and put my life on hold to care for our daughter.

What else can I do?

Comments

• HoneyNutLoop
    Options
    Hi Zoemads,

I didn't want to leave your thread still unanswered, but it sounds like you are already doing all that you can. You'll have seen from the main REMO thread that these things can take a very long time, and that it takes patience and persistence.

Stay in touch regularly with your REMO contact, and keep providing them with as much info as you can. If you know the name of his employer, they may be able to contact him through his work or his employer may be able to provide a correspondence address they could use.

Also, don't stop talking to your ex about it. You never know, he may come around. Some people respond better if they pay for specific things, rather than pay a set sum to you directly. If you haven't already tried that approach, you could put your own list together of costs that are specific to your daughter, rather than using a generic list as you've done before, and use that to try to negotiate an arrangement. Just an idea - you may think it's not suitable for your situation.
    I often use a tablet to post, so sometimes my posts will have random letters inserted, or entirely the wrong word if autocorrect is trying to wind me up. Hopefully you'll still know what I mean.
  • zoemads
    zoemads Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words.

I have done everything I can so will just have to sit tight and see what happens.

I just wish I could spoil my daughter more. She has been stuck in over the Easter holidays looking after me due to an operation and would like to repay her by doing something nice.

Unfortunately money is tight and I just can't do that.
    We have been baking together and going for short walks to the park.

Just wish I could do more.
  • JustDoIt_2
    JustDoIt_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 19 April 2014 at 3:36PM
    Options
    Hi I have been reading your thread and others about REMO. I live in NY and ex resides in UK; often brags about traveling and working in UAE. Hence, the difficulty in getting him to court. He's currently at his UK address and has informed me that he got the summons to attend court but just disregarded the matter and went on his merry way - or so it seems. There's arrears and each month he owes
    more CS. I recently completed a cost of living increase form sent by Child Supp Enforcement NYS and he received that and just keeps ignoring everything. I have started to think that REMO just enables him to live his lifestyle and flout the law. The judge in court in NY was very clear and my judgment seems to be straightforward.
    Because my ex works in finance and the media in UAE for weeks at a time and/or works as a consultant does he simply get away with his obligation to pay CS? After our divorce in 2007 he made 1 or 2 payments and that's it. He calls asking to see the children but because of his failure attend family court in NY a warrant was issued and he has no order for visitation and no shared custodial rights. Does anyone know about the bilateral agreement for UK and UAE or have any suggestions on what to do in this case?
  • zoemads
    zoemads Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    WHAT INFORMATION I CAN TELL YOU:

I started the REMO process in 2011 when I found out the CSA has no jurisdiction in Europe.

I phoned REMO and I was told to go to my local court and!ask for!a Maintenance Order to obtain payment from him. I was also informed by the team that by doing this quickly I would receive arrears of maintenance payments from the date of the Court Order. I had no previous court order in place from my divorce only what the CSA had arranged.

I would advice anyone in my situation is going through a divorce to obtain a residency order and a maintenance order as part of your divorce.....

The REMO department sent me more paperwork for me to complete so that I could obtain maintenance through the Hungarian courts and then two years later more paper for the German Courts. They are not easy to complete!!!

I completed this on the same day and then I sent everything back to REMO.

REMO informed me that they were unable to find the location of where my ex-husband was living and without!my knowledge the case was closed!in December 2013.

I did receive a letter stating that they are unable to find him but no mention in the letter that the case was closed.

Since then my ex has started working in Germany in 2014 and is currently living in a hotel until he can find a suitable place to stay or because he doesn't want to be found.

I did all the running around, ringing Germany at my cost and finding out his work address, phone number and email address. This was past onto REMO. He then found out that they were on his case and has now informed them he is moving to Spain.

This means starting the process all over again....

Throughout this process/years I am been given conflicting information and I have never been given accurate information.

I have!been recently informed by the!courts/SERREU that I am not able to obtain any arrears for the 3 years that I have been chasing maintenance because there was only a private agreement set up. The arrears only start when they can confirm an address and they issue him with the court order!!!!

When I originally went to court I was informed by REMO that this was a 'court order' to obtain maintenance from my ex and I would get arrears. THIS IS NOT THE CASE!!!

Over the years they have also told me the following:-

• That I would receive arrears from the date of the Court Order.!

• Even though my ex was out of work, it was his choice that he went back-packing and not looking for another job, so this would be taken into consideration when working out the arrears.

• Any payments that he made from the Court Order date!would not!be taken into consideration when working out arrears.

Now this has made me totally confused because I have been told one thing and then I receive!information which is !the opposite.

IF I KNEW THAT MY COURT APPEARANCE WAS NOT AN ACTUAL MAINTENANCE ORDER I WOULD HAVE OBTAINED A SOLICITOR THREE YEARS AGO.

!I feel that due to the inadequacy of!REMO my daughter has now missed out!on 3 years of child maintenance.

SERREU has also told me the following:-

To send a letter from Bury courts to REMO to be translated into German, then sent to Germany and for a response to be received takes up to 3 months. Even longer if it is another country.

Currently REMO is over loaded with cases and not enough staff with the knowledge and expertise to deal with the claims coming in.

Now that my ex is moving to Spain this could take another year to two years to obtain payments because technically the process has to start again.

So my questions I asked REMO are as follows:-
    I know there are benefits in place to help single mums on low income, but why should tax payers money be used when there is enough money being earned by the NRP to adequately support their child? My understanding that my ex's salary is currently between £50,000 to £65,000 per annum.

Why is there no law in place so that if a British Citizen moves abroad why can't something be done to obtain payments. I.e. Taken from his pension that he has paid into for many years in UK.

Balliff's are used when a person defaults on payments. Why can't this be the case to seize the NRP's assets when they clearly have them?

Why does the endless red tape and form filling stop a person from gaining any maintenance?

If a person is of no fixed abode why can't REMO go directly to their employer (irrespective of where they live in a different country) to obtain maintenance?

In this day and age why can't REMO send emails to an English speaking representative in Germany? In my experience of ringing Germany every person I spoke to was able to communicate to me in English.

Why can't REMO have access to DLA and the Pension system? This would make it easier and quicker for the NRP to be found and then this knowledge could be used to find and seize any assets

HOPE THIS HELPS PEOPLE THAT FACE MY SITUATION IN THE FUTURE!!!
  • xoAmyox
    xoAmyox Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Zoemads,

I don't want to give you false hope here. But could I ask, does your ex have property in the UK?

I did read (on here) that a PWC managed to establish that an NRP was still habitually resident in the UK because they maintained a home here (even though not living in it), and on that basis was able to have arrears re-instated by the CSA and therefore put a charging order and eventually order for sale on the UK home.

I hope that this is the case and you get the maintenance that your child deserves.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure