uninsured crash

Options
Hello,

I'm not sure if you can help but I don't know what else to do.

8 years ago I was in a crash, my insurance had run out 23 days before and I was not aware of this. I found out when I checked my details to register my claim.

I was at fault for the crash.

I had another main car which was fully insured

Basically the people I hit have been paid over 40k and I have received a letter saying I have to pay this money.

I have been out of work for a long time and my life is in a sorry state. I started a new job 2 weeks ago and finally thought I was getting back on my feet and could eventually clear my debts.

I went to see a solicitor today but she was not much help. She said she would look into it but I am not hopeful.

Does anyone have any advise?

Please be kind, I know I am at fault but this was not a malicious crime it was a poor paperwork crime and I am paying dearly for it.

I don't understand why he has been awarded so much money. I was the only one hurt in the crash.....

Gx

Comments

• orchidpepper
    Options
    The thought of paying for the rest of my life to a liar is killing me. He was paid £750 for his car so faking injury is all I can think.

Is it possible to declare bankrupsy for something like this?

It may be my only hope to have a normal life.

I don't earn a lot and never likely to, my flat is in negative equity and I suffer from depression.

Thank you for replying, I was so worried my post would be met with anger x
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Roughly £39,000 for an injury...well if he faked his injury i hope the money brings him misery. Contact his insurance and let them know your employment situation and offer very minimal payments. I would offer a £1 a month.. Dont worry about it, they cant get what you havent got. Is their no governing body that can look at this jumped up claim?
  • orchidpepper
    Options
    I saw a solicitor today and am now looking into bankrupsy. My house is worth less than nothing, if I sold it i'd be in debt. I've always been terrified of debt and have always lives within my means so have never had a store card, credit card etc. I have a massive overdraft though.

The thought of being in debt fot the rest of my life is crushing me. Some people would be able to shrug it off and I wish I was one of them right now. I'm desperately looking for a way out.

Sounds cowardly when I read back what I've written. I feel so ashamed that I've gotten myself into this situation. My Mum and Dad are being incredible but now they are worrying about what happens when the die and will my inheritance be taken off of me. They are worried I'll grow old and be on the breadline. I love them so much and can't believe I've done this to them all because i'm a scatterbrain x
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its not cowardly at all.... we all make mistakes dont beat yourself up over it. Tish happens and while your feeling pretty crap now you wont always feel like that. I cant advise anything about bankruptcy, but go over to the bankruptcy board and have a chat there, there is plenty of good advise and plenty of people in the same boat.
  • Mr_Pitiful
    Options
    What did the solicitor say? Don't think personal injury can be wiped out through bankruptcy

From the insolvency service website:
    What happens to my bankruptcy debts after I am discharged?
    Once you are discharged from your bankruptcy you are usually released from the unsecured debts that existed at the date of the bankruptcy and which could be included in the bankruptcy. See ‘Will all my debts be included in my bankruptcy?’.

There are some debts you will not be released from when you are discharged. These include:
    • any debts obtained through fraud;
    • a liability to pay damages in respect of personal injury to someone; or
    • any obligation to pay a lump sum or costs made in family proceedings or under a maintenance assessment made by the Child Support Agency.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Am I the only one on here who isnt feeling sorry for the OP? Ok, the other party may have guilded the lilly a little but the fact of the matter is that the OP was driving without insurance and caused an accident. They deserves all they get, its just a pity they can declare bankrupt so easily and i really hope the above posters info turns out to be correct.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • orchidpepper
    Options
    I can't file for bankrupsy or get a trust deed as I don't owe money to three creditors.......

Do I go out and run up a bill on a credit card (which goes against the grain) or jack in my job, sell my house and move back with mum n dad........
  • orchidpepper
    Options
    Thanks paddedJohn, hope you never make a silly mistake. Must be great to be perfect.

My life is destroyed and you're glad. Nice guy.......
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's really no excuse at all for not knowing your insurance had run out.

Jacking in your job won't really help, selling your house may do, depends how much equity you have in it. I think you really need to look at paying back what you can, when you can. I don't understand what you mean by running up a credit card bill ?

I'd wait for the solicitor to come back to you with some advice.
  • orchidpepper
    Options
    to qualify for a trust deed you have to owe money to three creditors. apart from this personal injury claim i have no debt. I've always been really careful about that. If I don't have the money then I do without

if I jack in my job they cant arrest my wages but that is counter productive. I'm seriously stressed tonight. I WANT to pay but the thought of paying for the rest of my life....... i'm on minimum wage.....

I expected the claim to be about 5k. not 41k.

If I enter a trust deed then I pay the maximum that I can afford which Im happy to do. it was my fault so it's only right. But for my own sanity I need there to be an end in sight. Does this make sense?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure