PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Things to do with goose feathers??

Options
My settee has given up the ghost after 10 years of faithful service. It's outside waiting for the coucil to collect it next Tuesday. The settee back cushion and the chair cushion are filled with goose feathers I believe. I'd like to recycle them if poss, but have no idea what to do with them. They're inside calico bags inside the cushions so I could retrieve them for use at a later date if I could think of a use for them. I'm moderately good at sewing, ie can make rectangular curtains and repair stuff.

Comments

• kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Options
    You could make cushions or a quilt. You could probably sell them if you can't think of a use for them. They're worth a lot I think. In fact there was someone asking about getting sofa cushions re-stuffed on here the other day and they said the only place they could find was charging £160 per cushion.
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ooh, that sounds good, might even cover the cost of my new settee then (£320!!)
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, I'm sure you can sell them too, I've sold feathers before, bizzarely they were the excess from an old feather duster someone gave me for a craft project!
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • powershopper
    Options
    To be honest, if they are 10 years old, you`ve had your use, they will be full, and I mean FULL of house dust mites and their poo by now, might be best to burn, bin or compost them, but don`t pass them on to unsuspecting others.
  • pol
    pol Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd take the calico bags to the launderette and have them cleaned, and then use them for a quilt or cushions. My feather quilt comes up like new every time and it's about ten years old.

pol
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Found this advice on dealing with house mites:

Wash bedding etc at a temperature of at least 60°C to kill the house dust mites.
    Leave bedding, duvets, pillows and mattress hanging outside for an hour every day or as often as practical.
    Put duvets and pillows in plastic bags and put them in the freezer for 24 hours at least once a month.

So it lookss though they can be killed and got rid of, which means that you should be able to reuse the feathers without risk!
  • Alfietinker
    Options
    I'd do as Pol says first, a good wash at the laundrette. I wash our goose feather duvet and pillows this way. But you do need to hot tumble dry immediately afterwards until completely dry. If it's left even slightly damp it will start to go a little mildewy.

Then either sell them or make some new scatter cushions for your new sofa?

Oh, and nice camper by the way. Fellow 'Dubber' here. :D
    New year, no debt! Debt free date - 02/01/07 :j :j :j :D
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to get the calico bags full of feathers cleaned and then do as Alfietinker suggested and make some cushions for the camper with them. Could do with a little more comfort in there!!
  • Robothell
    Options
    Tickle a loved one?
    Life in this world is, as it were, a sojourn in a cave. What can we know of reality? For all we can see of the true nature of existence is, shall we say, no more than bewildering and amusing shadows cast upon the inner wall of the cave by the unseen blinding light of absolute truth, from which we may or may not deduce some glimmer of veracity, and we as troglodyte seekers of wisdom can only lift our voices to the unseen and say humbly "Go on, do deformed rabbit again.....it's my favourite". © Terry Pratchett in "Small Gods"

Founder member of the Barry Scott Appreciation Society
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport