PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 May 2016 at 8:59PM
    Options
    You always put things so well GQ:D The used/useful, deaths in storage and hanging on to things through greed/insecurity. Thanks!Given me a bit of a kick up the bahooki to get back on the kodno treadmill...and yes I would rather be doing other things but I am choosing to do this as I know the long term benefits will outweigh the short term irritation at present :)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Igamogam
    Options
    Ha! OH has conceded and has a mountain of paperwork in front of him......having to look for some financial info for DDS student finance application ........She won't get much and we will be funding most of it so he is determined to get the figures right! He cannot understand why he has multiple boxes of paper in the office as he 'files everything'....... clearly not!
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I never *really* understood the "death in storage" till I excavated my understairs cupboard ... awful!

I have a query - there's a horrible ornament from my lovely grandparents place (I had unlovely grandparents too, sadly) but this thing ... its a fish, yes, and its a sort of engraved horn. Its this sort of shape: http://www.cowanauctions.com/itemImages/3gs0041.jpg but definitely not 18th century, as somebody stuck it on a little plinth and pushed an electric lightbulb into the fish's mouth :eek::rotfl:I found it while excavating, and told my mum, as its her parents that it came from, and her instant response was "take it to a charity shop" :) To be honest, I'm quite tempted to leave it until I can take it to an antiques shop of some sort and find out if its valuable - its so weird, it might be :rotfl: and if its actual horn then I'm also tempted to get rid of the electrical parts and mash it up in my mortar and pestle to spread it on the garden to add some organic minerals.

Anybody know anything about that sort of stuff?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Igamogam
    Options
    Oh I forgot! I have kondoed some stuff today :j Under the kitchen sink AGAIN! Have a carrier bag of stuff I am never going to use so it's going on fr**cycle :)
  • iamsalt
    iamsalt Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello.
    A very brief de lurking to say, you have all inspired me to kondo my cleaner, I have not had the confidence to do that before, despite paying her for 2hrs and her never staying more than an hour and a half...and it's not like there isn't anything to clean....and me thinking I can do better. My mum's cleaner who is a star has said she will do odd times when I need help if I am busy or have people to stay....
    Thank you - you are all inspiration to me
    S x
    £400,000 starting Jan 2020 current end date Aug 2041 I would love the end date to be 2027 but will aim first for 2037.
    1% target £4000 so far £20 paid
  • Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    Options
    I kongo'd mine when I found she was wiping down the toilet seat with the teacloth from the kitchen. She put it in the wash after and thought that was ok.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ches wrote: »
    I kongo'd mine when I found she was wiping down the toilet seat with the teacloth from the kitchen. She put it in the wash after and thought that was ok.
    :eek: O-M-G- that is absolutely appalling, you did the right thing to give her the Order of the Boot.

Igamogam, grinning at your OH's LBM that he may just have a paperwork problem. I tend to think paperwork is the most horrible category of Stuff to sort. Because some of it will be very important, although the important bits will be a tiny fraction of the overall volume, you need to look at everything before getting rid. Here's hoping he will set to and kondo the unimportant bits.

After putting the pooter off last night, I went back to the fiddly little project and took some more of the items I had reserved for my own use and prepped them for the chazzer. I did keep some but I had a careful think about the probable reasonable needs I would have and aimed to supply them, and let the rest go.

This can be an anxious process for me, although I am getting better overall. There is a mental soundtrack which runs along the lines of; But what if I need it myself and I gave it away? I'd have to buy it again and that would cost money and I mightn't have the money and and and....

:o I hasten to add that each of these items could have been bought new with change from £1!

I have seen a fair few things recently which have died in storage. Examples are four of the five elasticated-waist cotton skirts of Mum's in the BCofD, unused since she was at work (10+ years ago). The fifth was OK and was laundered and donated. We also found a pair of waterproof overtrousers which had somehow gone gooey and welded into a mess - not heat caused, must have been a chemical reaction of some kind.

When we did an early sort of Mum's clothes, there were several pairs of trousers with half-elasticated waists which had perished - one grows attuned to that distinctive crackling sound when the elastic is stretched. Not to mention socks with the elastic perished, giving a norah battyesque look in the ankle department.:rotfl:

Jesting aside, the waste of things which we were keeping for future need, or for best, is upsetting. Particularly if we were keeping something for sentimental reasons and it's now spoiled.

Karmacat, my mind is boggling at the cow-horn/ light-bulb combo. Do run it by a couple of antique/ collectable emporiums as it may just be outre enough to attract a buyer even if not for very much money.

I am slooowly regaining full use of my floors in sitting room and bedroom (the bedroom floor not under the bed is a small section less than 3 ft by 6 ft so is easily 'lost') and may even have run out of excuses to vacuum. At the moment, it's far too early to vac in a flat.;)
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    Morning kondoers he everyone is well
    Hoping to kondo grey roots and split ends this morning but won't get too excited till it happens as last up two appts have been cancelled due to hair dresser being ill.
    Got rid of a few little bits and bobs recently - some ribbons I'll never use went into school for arts and crafts, a few little sample toiletries got used up, broken solar garden lights and some wood off cuts went into recycling skips at Dh work. A couple of tatty box files that couldn't be rehomed went into recycling and some birthday cards from the stash got used. Not a great deal but it all went out.
    I've just condensed the last of a big box of washing powder into the next box so now only have one. I've got some bits of recycling to sort out and ironing to finish when I get back plus some mending to do but not sure what I'm going to kondo next.
    Spoke to dd1 about the chair I'm planning to CS, she's asked for a photo as it may be just what her partners dad is looking for, if so he's welcome to it.

Better make a move I suppose, have a joyful day all.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :D Today will be a great day, I feel it in my bones. Sun is shining, sky is blue, I've lost 0.8 kg in 24 hours, have vac'd and washed the dishes. Off to work now, catch ya laters. GQ x
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have a great day GQ!

Builders have just started taking up the floorboards in the final bedroom. It's incredibly noisy, but the weekly community cafe in the village isn't open till 9am. I intend to take my laptop down there and work (offline) quietly in a corner for as long as possible!

I'm currently dealing with phone calls and admin (those I can, given that I currently have only access to the sitting room - which is full of stuff. I can get to the kitchen and utility if I go round the outside of the house. But my office is full of stuff and out of service). So BT is first on the list - I need them to correct my account details so I can sort out my contract. Of course, if they can't then I'll be signing up with someone else. ANyone else.

Next on the list is HMRC - for those doing self-assessment, if you haven't logged in yet this year they have new security. And it is refusing to believe I am me as it doesn't believe my P60 details. Maybe my employer has got them wrong?

SO am currently bored in a queue waiting to talk to BT who will then probably keep transferring me and eventually cut me off...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure