Help to buy with small default

Options
Does anybody know if we would be accepted for the help to buy mortgage guarantee with a small default?

It is over 3 years old for £160 with a mobile phone company. It's on my husbands credit file. My credit file is spotless.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    There are lenders who will likely ignore it over 3 years old. Probably best to speak to a broker to ensure you are looking at the right lenders but i would say there will be 1 or 2 options if that is the only issue.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • carameline
    carameline Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks. Do lots of lenders do help to buy then? I thought it was just halifax and natwest.
  • pmd123
    pmd123 Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    I had a help to buy application with Halifax last week, declined due to my credit rating, despite being 900+ with experian, no defaults! credit card paid off every month and on the electoral role. Really surprised me, but the advisor told me only the highest credit rating would get approved for help to buy.

I have an application with Natwest on Saturday, and, as I bank with them, the system said I was "very likely to be approved" but I'm sceptical as I have been declined once already.

I'm guessing with a default on file you will be unlikely to be accepted for HTB with Halifax, but maybe another lender may be more lenient.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    There are more than just 2 HTB lenders. Maybe 10 or so.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • dgtazzman
    dgtazzman Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    Options
    You must have had something on your credit file they didn't like, or maybe affordability. We got accepted for HTB with a randomly CRA generated number of around 800 and 4/5 (which has now suddenly gone down to 3/5 for no apparent reason, not that I care, I know my history is spotless).
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    pmd123 wrote: »
    I had a help to buy application with Halifax last week, declined due to my credit rating, despite being 900+ with experian
    Why don't you try Experian as they've allocated such a high number to you?
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Obtain your Equifax credit file and do not pay for these "credit scores" as they are indicative only.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • pmd123
    pmd123 Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    900+ score was from my free trial 6 months ago, credit report was ordered 3 days ago to double check. I check my noddle report every month (4/5), which shows no defaults or late payments (everything is direct debit) only thing being that noddle still shows my address as my previous address from a year ago.

Have been in touch with electoral services, who have confirmed I have been on the electoral role at my current address since November, and have confirmed they have sent this out to the CRAs. I have been given a confirmation letter by them confirming I am registered at my current address for my application with Natwest (if that will help at all).

Since being declined by Halifax I have cancelled my back up credit card £2500), and reduced my main cc from £4500 to £3000 as I feel I may have too much credit available, but the balances on them were £200 and £5 and are both paid in full every month.

Mus be something, but really not sure what.
  • James_Robertson
    Options
    Hi there,

Wot a lot of stress and worry for £160!!!
    Do you have an uptodate copy of your credit report?

1 .I would say because "default" is 3 years old, it will have less emphasis placed on it by potential lenders.
    2 The amount is very small, less than £200 is really not going to worry a lender I wouldnt have thought.
  • ukbrockest
    ukbrockest Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a default 5 years old for £12 that was settled

Santander declined me on 95% FTB

Nat West AIP, then offer on 95% FTB so it is possible
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing