Real life MMD: Should I tip when using daily deals vouchers?

Options

Comments

• originalkat
    originalkat Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    Lesj wrote: »
    In some countries workers are paid very little by their employer and rely on tips for the majority of their income. I have no problem with that as goods and services in these countires are usually much cheaper than we are used to in "Rip-off Britain" However, in the UK, workers are protected by minimum wage regulations and I feel that tipping should be abolished and made a thing of the past. Why do you feel obliged to tip a waitress but it would never cross your mind to tip a checkout operator in a supermarket ? Both probably earn a similar hourly rate and spend the same amount of time with us, per transaction, being friendly and chatty etc. Tipping is just historically linked to certain professions but its time we just dropped the whole idea.

Well said my feelings exactly!!

I do tip in the UK where it is accepted practice but I feel it is patronising and try to avoid actually handing the money to the waiter etc - I leave it on the table and hope it's still there when they clear the table! My daughter lives in Australia and they don't usually tip there, not even taxi drivers. I have heard that some cruise ships which are based in Australian ports don't have automatic onboard tips added to your account as the Aussies are so against it.

My income at the moment is less than £300 a month so even if I could afford to go in a cafe for a cup of coffee why should I then tip someone who is already being paid to make it and probably has an income three times mine even on minimum wage?
  • Missli
    Missli Posts: 7,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well said my feelings exactly!!

I do tip in the UK where it is accepted practice but I feel it is patronising and try to avoid actually handing the money to the waiter etc - I leave it on the table and hope it's still there when they clear the table! My daughter lives in Australia and they don't usually tip there, not even taxi drivers. I have heard that some cruise ships which are based in Australian ports don't have automatic onboard tips added to your account as the Aussies are so against it.

My income at the moment is less than £300 a month so even if I could afford to go in a cafe for a cup of coffee why should I then tip someone who is already being paid to make it and probably has an income three times mine even on minimum wage?

I don't tip for coffee, or a couple of drinks. Only for food. Drinks are nearly always over-priced in cafes anyway. If moneys tight, you should never feel obliged to tip.
    New forum. New sig. Yes I still need to lose 2 stone! :smiley:
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If you would tip if you were paying for it, you should tip. After all, if you wouldn't not tip because you were paying with a credit card rather than cash, and a voucher is only another method of payment.

And you tip based on the actual price, not on the reduced amount you pay, if you get a discount.

Of course, if you wouldn't normally tip you can chose not to, but the decision shouldn't be on the basis of whether you're paying with cash or a card or a voucher.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • RedTulip
    RedTulip Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    The whole idea of tipping in the UK annoys me really. As earlier posts point out, we have the minimum wage here, it's there for a reason. I don't get tipped for doing my job so why should I tip someone else for doing theirs?

For me, if you would tip normally then do - if not then don't bother.
    Here to offer help and advice, and maybe take a little in return.

Whilst I am happy to share my knowledge, I am in no way a professional... I can not therefore accept responsibility for inaccurate info, I ask that you take professional advice rather than rely totally the info provided by myself :beer:
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Missli wrote: »

For a taxi from my local train-station (a 10/15 minute walk away) it costs £3 which I believe to be the minimum fare. I usually walk it, but on a couple of occasions booked a local taxi when it was raining. I didn't tip, as it was a 5 minute (or less) drive home. I have tipped taxis in the past, but not always, as they are so expensive.

I drove a Cab for many many many years and could never understand this tipping business. Lots of the drivers moaned about some of the passengers that never tipped but they themselves would never tip a bus driver or girl in the supermarket, and we were earning a much better living, even though we needed to do long hours. I think the average tip we got was 20p or so and it was unusual to get 50p or more.

Going back to the Op, i can see why her friend was annoyed but ........... 'cos its expected is not really a good enough reason, certainly not £15 that's excessive.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • jap200
    jap200 Posts: 2,033 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Lesj wrote: »
    In some countries workers are paid very little by their employer and rely on tips for the majority of their income. I have no problem with that as goods and services in these countires are usually much cheaper than we are used to in "Rip-off Britain" However, in the UK, workers are protected by minimum wage regulations and I feel that tipping should be abolished and made a thing of the past. Why do you feel obliged to tip a waitress but it would never cross your mind to tip a checkout operator in a supermarket ? Both probably earn a similar hourly rate and spend the same amount of time with us, per transaction, being friendly and chatty etc. Tipping is just historically linked to certain professions but its time we just dropped the whole idea.

In 2009 there was a change in minimum wage regulations. Before that, it was possible for employers to pool tips and use them as part of the minimum wage paid to staff, thus benefitting the employer, but not the employee. Thankfully this practice is no longer legal, so tips 'should' make their way to staff. However, I do always wonder what happens to those added on to credit card payments.

The minimum wage is particularly low for younger people, so although I don't like tipping, I will do it where I feel it is deserved. Certain jobs like waiting/waitressing are very hard work and can't be compared to to job of a checkout operator in any way other than the level of pay.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jap200 wrote: »
    Certain jobs like waiting/waitressing are very hard work and can't be compared to to job of a checkout operator in any way other than the level of pay.

Are you saying there that the checkout operator doesn't work hard ? Well i'm sorry but i don't agree. The overworked waitress is not tied to her tables, she can at least get away for a few minutes to have a 'wee' or a ciggie, in exactly the same way as i could driving the taxi, i only had to put up with obnoxious customers for a few minutes before they got out. But the girl on the checkout must sometimes sit there looking at a constant queque of people that all moan at her 'cos they've been kept waiting.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • kwyken
    kwyken Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Since tipping is more culture than contract I am undecided, but with the get rid of tipping completely camp. I used a voucher in a restaurant recently and to the best of my knowledge tipped on the basis of the discount price plus spend on the day. If you were passing a restaurant and they had a special on the menu board that you fancied would you then tip on the usual cost for that special? I doubt it. If tipping is really to reward service then why is it a percentage of the cost and not a fixed price? Or do we expect better service for more costly menu items?
  • LE3
    LE3 Posts: 612 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I usually round up a taxi fare to the nearest 50p, so a £6.20 fare will get £6.50 from me - if it's £8.80 they'd probably get £10 if they'd been polite & helpful and the cab didn't stink of smoke!
    I do not tip hairdresser or beautician - I pay them a fair price (actually I think they are a bit expensive!) for the service I receive.
    I tip in a restaurant if I get really good service - but I always leave the tip in cash never on the credit card as I want it to go to the person who served me, and cc tips often go to corporate!
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    If the girl is giving you "extras" ;) then you will find if you don't tip you don't get them any more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure