PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Whole roast chicken in combi microwave

Options
I've only ever cooked chicken fillets in my combi microwave, but tonight I need to cook a whole (small-ish) chicken. Any tips for the best method/timing? My manual for the combi microwave doesn't go into much detail.

I have some spare roasting bags from some sachets of roasting spices (spices were disgusting, so I nabbed the bags before binning the remainder!), would this be better than without?

Comments

• JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Can you just use the oven setting and then set the timings as per the birds weight?

I would use a roasting bag, only because a chicken tends to spit fat a lot when its cooking and I am not a fan of cleaning ovens.

I love the oven on my combi, saves warming up the big one when I am only cooking one thing.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I could, but I've found normal recipes don't always translate in terms of time/temperature in the combi microwave. I think the smaller space heats up quicker, and being closer to the element can result in burnt food if you're not careful.

As it was, I followed this recipe - added 20 mins for using a larger chicken, but turned the temperature down 10 degrees initially and then an extra 20 for the last 20 minutes. I put some foil on top mid-way to stop the top burning, but removed for those last 20 mins, and it was divine!
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/My-Favorite-Simple-Roast-Chicken-231348
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Glad it turned out well.

My dad who considers himself the king of Yorkshire pudding making says the very best puddings are those made in a combi oven on the oven only setting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure