Is it acceptable to haggle in a charity shop?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Options
    I would never haggle in a charity shop. If an item is priced at something 99 I always give them back the 1p too.

A few years ago we were living in a rented 2 up 2 down and living on £10pw more than benefits. Even then, I'd never have haggled.

Maybe having been lucky enough to have travelled and lived abroad ourselves OH and I know that low wages in a rich country is still more wealth than millions of people in the world would ever get.

I just don't feel able to deprive really poverty stricken people of aid they need to save myself a couple of quid. I've always felt that way and always will.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Edwardia wrote: »
    I just don't feel able to deprive really poverty stricken people of aid they need to save myself a couple of quid. I've always felt that way and always will.
    Fair enough.
    But if you only had 98p and wanted something priced at 99p would you not offer it? Or would you "deprive really poverty stricken people" of 98p because you didn't want to haggle?
  • brightonman123
    brightonman123 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    Options
    imo, charity shops need to realise there's still a recession on, more people are feeling the squeeze, and they maybe in charity shop for a reason- for lower prices than normal..
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    imo, charity shops need to realise there's still a recession on, more people are feeling the squeeze, and they maybe in charity shop for a reason- for lower prices than normal..

But like every business, they're there to make money and like every business, they have costs they have to pay too.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family