Real-life MMD: I saw a homeless man steal food - should I have reported it?

Options

Comments

• daweitadley
    Options
    If the man was homeless he's got enough problems without being accused of theft when you are not absolutely sure of what you saw.
  • 1Marybd
    Options
    John_Gray wrote: »
    It's quite clearly an unreal situation about which people are being asked to pronounce.

Homeless people do not steal salads.

Okay, how do you know what homeless people eat (or steal to eat)? This is more speculation, not unlike the query.
  • tallgirld
    Options
    So you are not even sure if he stole it. Therefore you should mind your own business and forget about it.

Yes it is wrong to steal but I am sure Pret were in the news for not paying tax or something or other so if that is the case they are thieves an all.
    Even if I saw it stolen I would not report it whether the person was homeless or not.

They should employ proper security!
  • suiko
    suiko Posts: 290 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have to say I think anyone who would report this is really not a very nice person. Probably a Daily Hell reader ;)
  • Warrior81
    Options
    Crap dilemma aside, what if it was 'your house' said person was stealing from:money:? Oh.... now you're not so 'oh well he was homeless.....' THEFT IS THEFT end of.
  • Fujiko
    Fujiko Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure how you can identify someone as homeless by the way they are dressed, but if you were absolutely sure you saw him stealing you should definitely have reported it.
    I once saw a very well-dressed elderly couple stealing items from a charity shop. I told the manager.
  • dido1
    Options
    You are very lucky that this is all you have to worry about.
    Being homeless can happen to anyone, even someone who you may know.
    Put yourself in the homeless persons situation. Do you know what it's like to be cold and hungry for maybe months on end? No doubt after being homeless for so long their way of thinking is on survival mode.
    Forget it and enjoy your christmas day meal, in the comfort of a warm home.:A:A:A
  • terrafirma78
    Options
    Definitely do not report it. There but for the grace of God....
    I have seen desperate people steal food before, and have never reported it. If I saw someone steal from a small, independent trader, I would like to think that I would offer to pay for the meal AFTER the guy had left. What a terrible situation to be in, not to have enough food!! If it were something else, such as a laptop or other device, I probably would report it, but a basic human necessity such as food...no!
  • happy_to_be_here
    Options
    Back when I was younger (28 now but feel more like 50!) I would've marched straight up and reported. However, 5 years ago my little brother was caught stealing a sandwich on Christmas day from a 24 hours shop. He was supposed to be at a friend's mum's but they'd argued so he went back to his flat. He had no job, no money, had no food in the house and was too proud to call either myself or my mum. He hadn't eaten since lunchtime on the 24th.
    He was caught and spent the rest of Christmas in a cell.
    Anyway, if I had witnessed something like this then I would go after the person and see if I could help him in some small way like buying him a proper hot meal as it's something I will say never be able to do for my brother again.
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    nikki299 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have reported it. He probably needed the food more than pret a manger needs the few quid it cost.

I would have asked him to wait till they closed and threw the unsold food away. He could have picked it out of the bin. It's still wrapped!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure