Who do I call, write etc about naughty employers?

Options
My employers regularly do not pay me properly. There are several different ways they haven't paid me properly. I could go into details but it involves clocking people out early without their knowledge, missing holidays, overtime not being paid, mandatory meetings not being paid.

I've already wrote a detailed complaint letter, placed a formal grievance, had a meeting with the area manager a month ago. I was told I would be paid my missing overtime hours soon, certain things would change and improve, that preventative measures would be placed, etc.

The long story short is that they still haven't paid me yet. Missing clock ins, old meetings are a bit harder to prove. The main thing here so far as straight forward and recent argument is my missing overtime.

I'm really bummed out and angry about it all. I'm skidding along the floor for them, doing the matrix all day, I've wrecked my body in this job - and they don't even have the respect to pay people properly.

Who do I write to, call etc?

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it's possible, I would be looking for another job
  • Starlet
    Starlet Posts: 130 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2016 at 6:54PM
    Options
    My employers regularly do not pay me properly. There are several different ways they haven't paid me properly. I could go into details but it involves clocking people out early without their knowledge, missing holidays, overtime not being paid, mandatory meetings not being paid.

I've already wrote a detailed complaint letter, placed a formal grievance, had a meeting with the area manager a month ago. I was told I would be paid my missing overtime hours soon, certain things would change and improve, that preventative measures would be placed, etc.

The long story short is that they still haven't paid me yet. Missing clock ins, old meetings are a bit harder to prove. The main thing here so far as straight forward and recent argument is my missing overtime.

I'm really bummed out and angry about it all. I'm skidding along the floor for them, doing the matrix all day, I've wrecked my body in this job - and they don't even have the respect to pay people properly.

Who do I write to, call etc?
    What type of job do you have? Is it office-based? The reason for asking is because if it is office-based, then perhaps you could deliberately use email trains as proof of your whereabouts. For example, you could send an email (for any reason) when you arrive at work, with the sole intention of using this as something to refer to later on, or you could send a 1-line email immediately after having come out of a meeting (e.g. Hi NAME, Further to the idea that was discussed at the meeting a few moments ago, I am happy to do XYZ." (I hope that makes sense!)

It's an entirely different story if you have a retail role because you may have limited access to computers.

I am aware that this doesnt directly answer your main question re. who you could contact, but I thought that I would suggest this because it may help you build a portfolio of evidence in the meanwhile
    :EasterBun
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Ghostbusters?

Seriously, there isn't a rescue squad that you call and they fix it. If you aren't in a union, this is down to you taking legal action against your employers for what you say they owe you.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Who you gonna call ?

The employer busters Or the A Team to sort them out.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Area manager.

remind them of the meeting, summarise the what was detailed.

add anything new to the list.

ask question like do they agree with the amount owing etc,
    when will it be paid(which pay cycle)
    you need to get the company to agree they owe you money.

remind them everytime there is further falsifications of records.

You need it in writing they owe you then if the agreed payments don't come you have a chance in the small claims court

if you have a formal grievance I place you can consider CC the area managers boss and HR.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    "Naughty employers"?

I've heard it all now.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • steampowered
    Options
    If you are low paid, failure to pay overtime and clocking people out could mean that staff are not receiving the national minimum wage.

If staff are not receiving the full national minimum wage for all the hours they work, you should report this to HMRC who have the power to investigate and hold the employer to account.

Otherwise, your only remedy would be claim for unpaid wages through the county courts (using moneyclaimonline) or through an Employment Tribunal. Obviously if you do that the employer will be upset and may try to get rid of you.

If the employer consistently fails to pay you, you may be entitled to resign and claim constructive dismissal, although you may need to have more than 2 years' service to get much out of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure