Climbing My Mountain - The Journey of Ikkle87

Options
Dear Reader,

Welcome to my nice and new shiny diary thread. You may well be sat thinking to yourself 'hmmmm, I am sure she had a diary thread not so long back'. Well you would be correct, however I never really posted much on that diary, although I had had my lightbulb moment I was still somewhat in denial, and to top that off real life seemed to keep throwing hurdles at me. So here I am starting again climbing my everest and welcoming you along for the journey.

Ikkle

Baby Steps and Reasons Why
My name is Ikkle and I am 21 years old. I am on an income of £408 monthly and I owe £10494.80. My income is really a bit pants but unfortunately that can't be helped, I don't work due to illness and the only income I receive is in the shape of incapacity benefit. I used to work for an insurance company which saw me bringing in just over a £1000 a month, however after a very turbulant relationship and a lot of illness I decided that I just couldn't cope and so handed in my notice. That was in July 2007. I never imagined I would be off work so long but then I never imagined I would have all the health problems I do have either.

I started college last week to do A-levels. I still want to do something with my life and although things are hard for me now I refuse to give in and go quietly. I am studying Maths, English and Sociology. The time table is set out perfectly for me as it allows me to have space in the week for all my hospital and doctors appointments as well as not being too strenuous. It is a few hours here and there, but it is a routine and a reason to get up on a morning. Some will remember that as well as the debt, health and education situation I was trying to regain contact with my father, something which I am achieving but which still throws out the odd obstacle now and then.

Also on the financial income side, I am currently awaiting the result of an appeal for DLA. This should hopefully loosen the burden and help the purse strings somewhat.

When I originally joined MSE, it was with the intention of going bankrupt. A word that sounds so scary. I filled in the forms but then I saw people mentioned the CCCS and I desperately didn't want to go bankrupt so I visited their website and after some tweaking of figures I managed to get a DMP set up with them. I didn't realise how much I had tweaked the figures though and so unfortunately the DMP is and was just totally unrealistic and unattainable. Which brings me back to today this present moment. Trying to convince creditors to take small token payments of £1, £2 etc. Trying to claim back what is mine in charges. Trying to get the money together to go bankrupt. I know this isn't the bankruptcy board but I feel DFW is my home.

After all, in the months leading up to bankruptcy I am infact trying to lessen my debt and get rid of it, so doesn't that mean I am one of you? I am a debt free wannabe?

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

xx Mama to a gorgeous Cranio Baby xx

Comments

• OliveOyl_2
    OliveOyl_2 Posts: 3,506 Forumite
    Options
    Morning Ickle :D
    What on earth were you doing up at that time in the morning :eek:

I like the new diary, good luck with your plans.
    Has the new term started for you?
    And thanks for your direction re Boots, I enjoyed spending my voucher :D but I usually have to avoid that store as it is such temptation. :D
  • ikkle87
    ikkle87 Posts: 8,449 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hiya hun,

I was awake because the council have installed new street lighting and placed a very bright lamp directly outside my bedroom window which kept my room light and kept me awake.

Had induction day last Thursday and today is my first proper lesson at college. I have Maths at 1:45. Bus fares are costing me £16 a week but if I need to go anywhere I can just hop on a bus so I don't mind too much.

I am glad you enjoyed Bootsing lol. I still love it although my special Boots wallet doesn't look so full anymore :(

Hope you are well Olive, and look forward to seeing you again soon I hope.

Ikkle x
    You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

• LilacPixie
    Options
    Good luck Ikkle. Whats all this boots stuff about then??

Just write to your creditors tell them that you cannot afford current levels of maybe and your new payment will be £1. I would also be tempted to tell them you have been advised that bankrupcy is recomended because of the level of your debt v's your income. Do you have any creditors that would make you bankrupt??

I know its not very DFW and maybe not morally right but I would be severly tempted to pay them nothing and save for BR.
    MF aim 10th December 2020 :j:eek:
    MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000 :D
  • cat4772
    cat4772 Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Options
    Ickle

Didn't want to read and run - good luck saving for BR... It's ok tweaking figures for short periods but long term they do have to be realistic don't they?

Cat.x
    DFW Nerd Club #545 Dealing With Our Debt
    :onever attribute anything to malice which can be adequately explained by stupidity, [paranoia or ignorance] - ZTD&[cat]
    :othe thing about unwritten laws is that everyone has to agree to them before they can work - *louise*

March GC £113.53 / £325
  • boredofbeingathome
    Options
    Hi ICKLE probably echoing cat really ..just wishing you good luck in you Debt free journey..it is hard isn't it? and you are probably right re the DMP and exploring all your options..I was wondering whether you have contacted them about advice on going bankrupt as well as they sort both out from my understanding as well as IVA's which are an interim measure.
    All the very best with it all BOB X
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • ikkle87
    ikkle87 Posts: 8,449 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hiya Cat, Lilac and BoB.

Well, Bootsing for me is my hobby. It basically involves spending as little as possible in Boots, but getting the most products for my money. For example I recently got 2 Trevor Sorbie Hair Serums which were on 2 for £7 for 1p. By maximising glitches and earning Boots Advantage points I have pretty much got all of christmas sorted.

I have some letters printed up to send to my creditors with a cheque for a token payment. My printer is playing up though so I will be going to my mum's when she is home from work and borrowing her printer :)

CCCS have been great about the bankruptcy as have National Debtline. I do have to say though that the fact you have to pay £345 and £150 to go bankrupt is one of the most ridiculous things ever. However I have a claim for bank charges in on financial hardship basis so am hoping to receive that money soon and be able to use that :)

I tweaked the figures but only slightly but when I agreed to the DMP it was before I had applied for college, which now means I have to spend £16 a week in busfares not to mention buying text books, paper, stationary etc. I bought Jane Eyre, Wide Sargasso Sea, and a York Notes book from Amazon, using vouchers for doing surveys. The books turned up last week however now I need two maths books and checking Amazon they are going to set me back £27.70! I have to pay £10 for my NUS card too. It might not be a necessity but I do genuinely believe it will save me money in the long run as it will entitle me to lots of discounts including 5% off at Amazon, so seeing as I am going to be getting the NUS card anyway I think I will wait till I have that before I order my books because then it will take it down to £26.xx, havent even had my Sociology lesson yet - I dread to think what I will have to buy for that!

• judi24
    judi24 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Ikkle - you inspired me with you bootsing a few weks ago on the nightowl thread! I have since done a whole load of Christmas shopping and saved a fortune! I had so many £5 off vouchers! Someone even gave me an extra one at the till - which i used of course!
    I have a discount card as my daughter usd to work there and is still on thier payroll! so even more discount!

i will be following you diary closely - good luck x
  • judi24
    judi24 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also good luck with your studies!
  • Burlesque_Babe
    Options
    hiya ikkle!

For the books - ask at the library. If they don't have them in, they can try to get them from other branches.

I'm impressed with the Boots-ing, it's one loophole I've never explored as I rarely go to Boots, but maybe I should!

Ask about Remission fees for your bus fare. Where I work in Adult Learning, learners can apply for bus fares to be paid if you are on a low income and it's a barrier to you attending. It's not guaranteed but you can try. We also offer paying for course books under the same fee system - ask them, you never know.
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • penguin83
    penguin83 Posts: 4,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya Ikkle - loving the new shiny diary!

Good Luck with your studies. You will be exempt from paying the £150.00 court fee as you are in receipt of incapacity benefit. Give us a shout if you need any help with an application for fee remission when you are ready x x
    Pay Debt by Xmas 16 - 0/12000
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure