MotorMile want CCJ on Nearly Statute Barred loan

Options
Hello!

Ive received an email this morning from motor Mile Finance saying they are planning court proceedings on a loan they say I had back in 2011. It was with Quick Quid for £121, however i have no info about the loan. I'm not saying its impossible but I have no emails, cant see it on bank statements and it doesn't appear on my credit files.

Ive asked them to prove it, and also emailed to say even if its true it would surely be statute barred.

They responded saying it wont be barred until 28th April.

My question is, do they have enough time to prove it and get the CCJ issued before the loan is statute barred, or if they put in the work today would it get processed that quick?

Im in the middle of applying for a mortgage so this could really mess the whole thing up!

thanks in advance.

Ash

Comments

• Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    All they have to do is start the proceedings before 28th of April, anything else is not relevant. They also don't have to prove debt to you before going to court, so don't expect to be able to stall them.

And while you say that you can't find proof of the loan, do you actually owe it? Be honest, we are not the debt collectors here, and it's very important in deciding how to proceed.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Time to think hard about whether this is your loan or not and whether you want to risk missing out on your mortgage.

How much are they demanding compared to how much you paid back?
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • simpson_77
    simpson_77 Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    £120! Pay it and move on.
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    simpson_77 wrote: »
    £120! Pay it and move on.
    If he doesn't owe it then there is no harm in not paying or reason to pay. But that is the ever important if.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 15 March 2017 at 8:08PM
    Options
    An email would not count as a pre-action notification of intent to start legal action.

I believe in the eyes of the law they must still put there case in writing to you first.

Motormile are mostly all mouth and no trousers.

You should write and demand proof of the debt, you should also inform MM that using the threat of legal action in order to gain payment of the debt without providing any evidence of liability, is a practice frowned upon by the FSA.

They are already on the FSA radar due to historic errors in due diligence :

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-releases/debt-purchaser-motormile-finance-agrees-redress-package

Something for which they are having to pay compensation for.

More help here :

https://debtcamel.co.uk/court-payday-loan-debt/
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure