Desperate for help

Options

Comments

• gemma32
    gemma32 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    Sorry if it's not clear not an employment issue as I work full time. But due to changing jobs I went from weekly to monthly already struggling
    Yes I have other debts so hopefully can get this sorted too but main concern today is sorting the electric ecT
  • gemma32
    Options
    I think the problem is I was already paying catch up with 2 hungry growing boys also so money has been tight these last few months as trying to get back up to date with every high and then this has happened and totally threw me off! Left me penniless

I'm back to work tomorrow so hoping I can get somethig sorted today

Desperatly need electric. Food I can make mash and have sausages in the freezer a bit frozen but still in date.

I'm trying to take one step at a time and trying to survive and not let it effect my kids

My oh is in agony today and clearly stress makes things worse so can't really even vent to him
  • MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm pleased you've gone to CAB, hopefully they'll offer you some brilliant advice. Please do stick around on these boards, as the experience and knowledge of the people here (not me, unfortunately!!) is invaluable. An SOA is an excellent place to start, which once you've worked out your initial problems, will be your way forward.

Just a thought, do you shop at Tesco? If so, they just sent their latest vouchers out so do you possibly have vouchers you can use for food.

Also, just to see you through a couple of days, do you have anything you can sell on facebook?

These are not long term solutions, but just a thought of something that could help between now and your child tax arrives.

Please stick around here, though, and let us help. I'm sending a big virtual hug. I hope you get some positive news at the CAB.
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    gemma32 wrote: »
    I think the problem is I was already paying catch up with 2 hungry growing boys also so money has been tight these last few months as trying to get back up to date with every high and then this has happened and totally threw me off! Left me penniless

I'm back to work tomorrow so hoping I can get somethig sorted today

Desperatly need electric. Food I can make mash and have sausages in the freezer a bit frozen but still in date.

I'm trying to take one step at a time and trying to survive and not let it effect my kids

My oh is in agony today and clearly stress makes things worse so can't really even vent to him

I'm not sure of the viability of this, but if you're on a PPM and about to run out have you used the emergency credit available to you (If indeed it is, been far too long since I have used a PPM)? If yes, have you tried to ask your energy provider for help?

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your husband should be claiming Employment Support Allowance. Even if he gets no money it will entitle him to free prescriptions so it is worth getting.

You can work with IBS once they settle on a medication and dosage that works and you get used to the dietary restrictions as my brother does however it makes holding down a fulltime job hard so it may be worth approaching temping agencies where you can work as and when you feel fit.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    edited 13 November 2017 at 5:32PM
    Options
    Okay first off I've been where you are.

Food banks - there will be one local that will help people employed. They will also help even after the '3 visit rule'. They will help as much as they possibly can.

Secondly rent arrears. See my sig I was there too.
    Find the number for your local homeless advice/homeless welfare team.
    Ours is a drop in, no appointments you just need to go down grab a number and wait your turn. Yes its a pain but this is your priority right now. You need to keep a roof over your head. The homeless welfare team looked over my incoming and outgoings. Be HONEST with them. It's pointless trying to set an agreement you can't keep too realistically. You'll break it and be back at square one. They helped me get a suspended warrant of eviction. Again I needed to attend court, speak to the judge and was open and honest about everything. He looked through my income and outgoings. Looked at what I'd offered and he suspended the eviction and put a repayment plan I can afford in place.

Next Gas and Electric - Are you on prepayment meters? Call your provider now. Explain to them you have NO money at all and no access to any. They will provide you with a long number you take to certain pay point and this will top your card up. You repay it at a weekly rate when you top up in future.

The main thing right now is sorting your food, gas/electric and that you need to sort the eviction notice.

ETA. If you are local I am happy to help you with food. I don't have loads but can share what I do have.
  • LJB290
    LJB290 Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    Stress impacts terribly on IBS as does diet so it would be worth looking into this.
    I know several people with IBS who have found a vegetarian (majority of the time) is really helpful (and cheaper).
    Also more fermented foods such as natural yogurt (sweetened with honey or fruit if desired), kombucha tea, fermented veg can be helpful.
    The stress of IBS and not working along with the mounting problems are all taking their toll.

Any work that involves being in one place (office springs to mind) will be easier to cope with with IBS so that the toilet isnt too far away. So many people suffer with digestive issues and are very understanding of the conditions.

I know a lot of people with digestive type problems but none of whom don't go to work.
    I hope your husband finds a good balance of medication / serotonin /diet to help him get back on his feet soon because the pressure on your shoulders must be very difficult.
  • gemma32
    Options
    Update

Saw cab today helped a little bit needed more time so booked an appointment next week to go back. As for food Bank the local one to me needs to be done by referral ( I'm scared if I go to the docs or health visitor place they will flag me to social for not being able to provide for my kids! ) so haven't approached this yet.

Will try calling electric company and see if they can help for the two days I need it.

As for my partner he is very dyslexic all he has ever done since leaving school is external works like farming a blend grass cutting so office is not an option for him

Your right though we're trying to find the right balance of tabletsummer and diet is deffo a huge part of it. Sadly the cheap options like beans on toast and egg amd chips for him is no good. Bit of a catch 22 bit he eats it because he has too!
    I am also diabetic and that comes with its own faults too ��
    He is very supportive and does try to keep the house in check and deal with the kids whilst I'm at work but as you can imagine he feels useless and the more he ponders over things the worse he gets and then I have to sit there and watch him in pain and that's just as stressful

I have nothing to sell I don't have fancy gadgets or computer systems, we sold them ages ago when we sold the car we both worked so hard for!

I know there is light at the end of the tunnel and I know i can't give up because my kids depend on me

Just having a bit of an off week and every day seems to drag and get worse

Back to work tomorrow so will try and see if I can sort some thing out on my break for tomorrow night and will try and update as and where I can

Thankyou for you advice and support. Really appreciated
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Advice here on "emergency credit" for the electric meter, and how to get it :

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/get-help-paying-your-bills/you-cant-afford-to-top-up-your-prepayment-meter/

I would contact them ASAP, as its forecast to be cold for a while.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • charmed1318
    Options
    I wish I could send more than moral support, but, as I'm sure, a lot of us here are sending hugs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure