PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cake help please

Options
I've got a couple of pumpkin cakes in the oven. The recipe said to used pumpkin puree so ive peeled a butternut squash and chopped it in the food processor until it looked like snow and used that to make the cakes.
But now I'm thinking i should have cooked the pumpkin first?! Anyone else ever used this 'method' before? Heaven knows how they'll turn out!

Comments

• karenccs67
    karenccs67 Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 11 October 2016 at 2:52PM
    Options
    Ive never used pumpkin but I think I would have blitzed in a processor until puree/smooth and then sieved it to get of of any lumps, but hey, yours might turn out ok anyway.
    ***Dont save what is left after spending, spend what is left after saving***
  • FrugalinShropshire
    Options
    How did they turn out?
    Now Mrs FrugalinShropshire:T Proud to be mortgage and debt free:j
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Why worry? It'll cook in the cake & either turn out splendid or unexpectedly interesting - either way, so long as served with tea & a smile, it'll likely be eaten & enjoyed!
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would have cooked it but it should be fine if you've blitzed it enough!!
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well, the cakes turned out much better than I thought they might. Maybe a little bit dense but really tasty - a bit like a spicy carrot cake. Had a slice with butter and a cup of tea earlier☺
    Will slice and freeze one and use the other over the next few days
  • FrugalinShropshire
    Options
    So pleased they were a success!
    Now Mrs FrugalinShropshire:T Proud to be mortgage and debt free:j
  • Slowly57
    Slowly57 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    soba wrote: »
    Well, the cakes turned out much better than I thought they might. Maybe a little bit dense but really tasty - a bit like a spicy carrot cake. Had a slice with butter and a cup of tea earlier☺ Will slice and freeze one and use the other over the next few days

YAY! That's why they invented custard :D
    Glad they turned out tasty!
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well, the cakes turned out much better than I thought they might. Maybe a little bit dense but really tasty - a bit like a spicy carrot cake. Had a slice with butter and a cup of tea earlier☺
    Will slice and freeze one and use the other over the next few days
    I'd be interested to see the recipe you followed if you're able to share?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I cook every year for a local charity stall and we get given half a car boot full of Hallowe'en type pumpkins to use. Slightly unfortunately, this is not exactly the right kind for sweet pie or cake making (in the more normal American style) so what I do is lightly cook it, roughly mash the flesh and then let it sit in a colander or sieve for a while.

I find that allowing most of the excess wetness to drain off before using as a cake ingredient helps with the baking as waiting for all that moisture to cook off while the mixture is in the oven increases the overall cooking time massively, leading to burned pie/cake edges.

However, true to my frugal roots I save the pumpkin juice and use it in something else such as a soup or casserole. Hope that helps someone.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    a little bit dense but really tasty

Splendid!
    I shall view butternut squash as a potential source of delight.
    I must sharpen my kitchen knives first though - the protective covering is a bit effective.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure