PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Advice on a food budget

Options
Hi, I know this is different for everyone but I'm trying to work out an approx monthly budget for food and all household expenses (cleaning products and toiletries) I usually pay on my debit card and I think I'm probably overspending due to this. My household is one adult and a child, just wondered what others spend. Thanks
Sealed pot challenge 196

Comments

• Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As you say it is hard to say, but one idea is that if you spend on your debit card, how about taking out the amount that you would like to spend in cash. Then make that last for the week.

Also, perhaps a little more information. How old is your child? always hungry teen or 2 year old? Lunch boxes for both of you?
    What do you like to eat? :)
    What do you eat now realistically? :)
    Do you waste anything? :)

Do you actually need to reduce you spending or do you just think you should :)

Cleaning products are hardly worth considering, unless you clean 12 hours a day and use 8 bottles of bleach a week!

Toiletries, unless you buy premium (which would be up to you and your budget) A bottle of shower gel is £1, 4 bars of soap is about the same and a bottle of shampoo is about the same or £3 for premium brand and they both last for ages. I know there is more than that, but I am sure you get the idea. :D
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree with Linda , we need a bit more information.
    I'm not a dirty person (honest;)) but I spend minimal amounts on toiletries and cleaning stuff.
    Do you have time to shop around?
    Do you have a range of shops to choose from?
    How much are you spending now, so we have an idea where you're coming from?
  • FrugalWeirdo83
    Options
    My daughter is 2 so not an expensive mouth to feed, we are vegetarian and I think the majority goes on fresh fruits and veg. I also try to buy local eggs and honey so that's a but expensive. I'm not sure if I over spend massively and I hate waste so try to avoid that by getting inventive in the kitchen. I think I'm an impulse spender though and get things on offer that I don't really need
    Sealed pot challenge 196
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Try listing what you have in your cupboards, fridge and freezer.

Then write a meal plan using what you have in first.

Little'un can eat pretty much what you do, great age to start them on exploring food.

Have a look at the Grocery challenge thread, not only great support, but the first few pages have loads of recipe ideas etc

It is so easy to get caught in the 'Ohh that's a bargain' trap when shopping, but stick to your list and you will see your weekly spend drop - good luck :)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    My household is one adult and a child, just wondered what others spend.

As has already been said it's a bit meaningless giving a figure as everyone's circumstances and priorities are different but I'd make 2 points....

Firstly, your daughter at 2 is a sponge and whatever you feed her now is going to have a massive massive influence on what she will spend the rest of her life eating. Give her a taste for processed and junk and that's what she'll eat going forward with all the attendant health issues. Feed her homemade meals from fresh ingredients and you'll set her up for a lifetime of the joy of eating.

Secondly, with a bit of knowledge cooking from scratch isn't hard, time consuming or expensive unlike what the supermarkets and food processors would like you to believe. Shop at local independents, my usual supermarket a Waitrose sells aubergine at 85p each even Tesco are charging 60p each. On Saturday I got 4 similar sized ones from a street market for £1. Vine tomato's £1.29/kg rather than £2.20/kg at a cheap supermarket. As you have access to the internet use google to find recipes or cookbooks from your local library.

Have fun!
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    we spend approx £150pm on groceries and there are 2 adults and a 3 (soon to be 4) yr old. It can range from £130-180. We have always offered our lo a wide range of foods, with very little processed foods and she eats everything, her favourite snack being olives :)

I am vegan my oh & lo eat meat. Planning has reduced our bill drastically (a year ago we were spending an extra £100 pm). Even the meat eaters have 1 or 2 meat free days a week. I tend to go shopping do roughly a week's meal plan and spend between £40-70 depending on what store cupboard ingredients we have run out of and then see how long it is till I need to go shopping again, with just top ups of milk, bread & fruit and any good ys items to freeze. Turns out you can stretch this out pretty far usually between 2-3 weeks :)

I make muffins, brownies, cheese straws and freeze so I can just grab something out for madam's lunch box. I also freeze fromage frais as found we were wasting them. Now I just grab one the night before she goes to the cm and decant into a small pot. I also make my own wraps which are so easy to make and cost pence.

In terms of cleaning items I never get why people make a point of differentiating this. I buy a box of washing powder and it lasts months. I bought a box of A1di 2.6kg for about £4 in January and I have at least 1/2 of it left. I buy a bottle of bleach every 2 months ish, a bottle of washing up liquid every couple of months. A bottle of polish maybe 2 or 3 times a year, and some form of cleaning liquid stardrops if I can get hold of it lasts minimum a year but even a bottle of generic cleaner lasts months!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • JessaEra
    JessaEra Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Well, in terms of our food budget, we actually just spend on small cut of meat and chicken, just enough to add some flavor and taste in the vegetable dish that we usually serve each day. I let my children eat nutritious food that are not really expensive such as vegetables and fruits. I have a backyard with fresh veggies and some kinds of fruits. I love gardening that's why I can totally budget my expenses when it comes to our main dish everyday. On the other hand, I do not really spend much on toiletries and cleaning products. I just choose those cheaper brands but seems effective to me.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    As others have said, it's impossible to say what you 'should' be spending - we're all different. But if you think you are spending too much you can do any or all of the following -

- downgrade to your supermarket's 'basics' range
    - change from a mainstream supermarket to Aldi or Lidl
    - make a note of what you don't use - what do you throw out? Is there a pattern? I find that in my house boxes of fresh juice get opened and then forgotten about.
    - meal plan, even if it's just a 'broad brush' plan (eg 'Thursday we'll have mince' rather than 'Thursday we'll have chilli con carne' - then decide on the day what you actually want to do with the mince. I've just remembered you're vegetarian - but you get the idea).

And to answer your OP, I reckon to spend appx £50 per week on two adults (I shop at Aldi).
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you buy fresh fruit and veg and the throw away? If so, then that could be a saving if you bought frozen veg and fruit.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's not a problem buying offers provided you use them up. If they are storecupboard items then fine, if perishable then you need to use them or cook and freeze.

I agree the best thing to do is write a meal plan using up as many items as you have in already then write a list for any extra ingredients you must get and stick to it.

How much it costs will depend on where you shop. We don't know which shops are available to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure