DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 11

Options

Comments

• Bettyboo85
    Options
    Hi redstone

Did you use a free debt company or a company that charged you for their service? I know I'm new on here but I would call step change. They have been excellent with me and are completely free. Any money you pay to them goes straight to your creditors. They do not charge for their service and they would be best to seek advice. As I've never done this before, I'm unsure of the other that are available but I'm sure if you go to citizens advice I'm sure they'd be able to help also.

Xxx
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Bettyboo85 wrote: »
    Hi all.

It took me a lot of courage to admit I was struggling with debt. I had missed a payment and was directed to Step-change (who have been amazing!) I have 8k of debt and will hopefully be debt free in 4years.

5 of 6 creditors have agreed to my DMP but this doesn't stop me worrying. I make my first payment 1st May and I'm just hoping everything will be ok. I'm scared of receiving letters and how they work (got my first default this morning!). When you start making payments, do things start dying down? Or do they get worse?! I cannot help worrying that I'll have bailiffs at the door or even worse they'll make me sell my house. I'm worried that I'll have to go to court...the list goes on and on!! I just hope they'll accept my offers. Anyway sorry for rambling, I'm so glad I found this blog, I've been hopping in and out the past few weeks since I started to set up my DMP.

Any advice or reassurance will be appreciated. I'm a natural worrier and do not like change but I hope I'm doing the right thing. I'd hate to lose everything

Liz xxxx

P.s one of my creditors (capital one) set up the agreement for the wrong month. They said they would receive first payment 28th April and not 28th may like step change had arranged after taking payment from me 1st may. When I call capital one, they said they couldn't change the date until 29th April so I made a token payment of £1 for this month and just hope that they don't class it as missing a payment as they got the date mixed. Step change are going to resend the agreement. Will this be ok? Xx

Come on betty, pull yourself together, bailiffs ?, selling your house ?, these are consumer debts, they virtually never involve bailiffs with such things, your mind, it seems, is working overtime here.

Once your DMP is up and running, it will just be like you are making normal payments to your creditors, if you get correspondence, you simply mention your on a DMP and refer them to step change, its that simple.

Letters ? computer generated recycle bin fodder, they should stop when it filters down the line about your DMP, don't worry about things that don't matter, your doing the right thing, just get on with your life betty !!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Bettyboo85
    Bettyboo85 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 4 April 2016 at 1:44PM
    Options
    Thank you. I'm just a natural worrier that's all. I was also thinking of reclaiming bank charges but I don't want to upset things now that my bank has accepted the repayment plan of my DMP. I have had an £800 overdraft with them for 9 years and it has always been maxed and I have been charged almost every month. I'm sure if I could claim back charges and interest, I'd be able to hand the money over to step change to disperse to my creditors but like I said I don't want to upset things
  • lumpyspaceprincess
    Options
    Received letters from Robinson Way (IIRC) who have bought my old Tesco balances, both offering a F&F of £1k less on each account. Oh how I wish I could do that!
    ¤ £25k paid off with Stepchange DMP ¤ Debt Free 01/09/17 ¤
    ¤ Saving for a house deposit by '19 ¤ Savs @ £20,000 ¤

• sourcrates
    Options
    Thank you. I'm just a natural worrier that's all. I was also thinking of reclaiming bank charges but I don't want to upset things now that my bank has accepted the repayment plan of my DMP. I have had an £800 overdraft with them for 9 years and it has always been maxed and I have been charged almost every month. I'm sure if I could claim back charges and interest, I'd be able to hand the money over to step change to disperse to my creditors but like I said I don't want to upset things

Betty, ahem, with the greatest respect, the bank doesn't know you from Adam, or eve for that matter !!
    They are a very large organisation with many thousands of people working for them.

I can guarantee no one will be sitting there waiting for you to complain about your bank charges, just so they can reject your DMP payment.

Again, I fear your over thinking things !!

Get that complaint letter done, mention you are in financial hardship, the bank is duty bound to be fair in its treatment of you,
    no boats will be rocked,
    time to be a bit more proactive here.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Bettyboo85
    Options
    You are right. It's just I have never done this before and wouldnt even know where to start. Your advice is appreciated though and I guess in a way I have been proactive by seeking help instead of burying my head in the sand and pretending all is ok. Where do I find the letters of complaint? (Sorry for 1001 questions!)
  • sourcrates
    Options
    You are right. It's just I have never done this before and wouldnt even know where to start. Your advice is appreciated though and I guess in a way I have been proactive by seeking help instead of burying my head in the sand and pretending all is ok. Where do I find the letters of complaint? (Sorry for 1001 questions!)

I cant find a template specifically for bank charge complaints, however, this National Debtline template is for general complaints, just edit it to your circumstances, head the letter "COMPLAINT".

Be sure to mention your financial difficulties, keep it concise and to the point, ask for a full refund of charges, don't ask, don't get.

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Complain-to-your-lender-%28sole-name%29.aspx

any thing else you need help with just ask.
  • Bettyboo85
    Options
    Thanks for your help! :):):):)
  • make_the_change
    Options

Hi,

Can you claim back charges for being in your overdraft? I am interested in this as been making token payments for a while now, overdraft maxed out and has been for a while and interest is massive x
    DMP Started June 2016
  • cat1978
    cat1978 Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good Afternoon,

I've been lurking for a few months, trying to get my head around things. My partner is on a dmp with SC, and has a debt free date of 2056 :eek::eek: no it's not a mistake. Basically we were told that this would be ok because we were doing his house up to sell so that we could clear his debts (which his ex wife agreed with). During this time we have increased my debt as I have funded the house renovations, SC said this was ok as I would have to be paid back before any other debt, and the house value increase would cover this. Fastforward to present day, the ex wife has done a number on him and claimed £12,000 of the house profit from when it sold, plus the £2k in legal fees it has cost us to get to this stage. We now do not have enough money to clear our debts.

My head is spinning from thinking about all this, and I'm not sure on our best path forward. Do we pay off part of his dmp? Or clear my debt and see what's left at the end to put towards his dmp? etc etc.

I know you can't give me answers, but any suggestions would be gratefully received

Thanks

Cat
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family