Before using Colour B4 - a cautionary tale.

Options
I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] used to have an odd shade of red hair. A medium to dark shade of auburn/Titian/red which was roughly the same shade as a gingernut biscuit.

Like any aging redhead, I'm starting to go [STRIKE]grey[/STRIKE] white. So I hit the [dye] bottle.

I used to use Perfect 10 Medium Reddish Blonde. It was lighter than my natural colour and blended the white hairs very well.

Then they stopped making it. :mad:

The hunt has been on to find a replacement. I've tried the alternative to Perfect 10 (Age Defy Light Auburn), but it was far too dark.

Clairol's Nice and Easy is not nice, not easy and not the right shade at all.

So one day it dawned on me, as I scoured the shelves for yet more hope in a bottle, that I was trying to match the new shade of dye (whichever one I picked) to hair that had been repeatedly coated in a variety of dye colours and that my natural colour had been a long time gone.

I've even forgotten what it looked like.

So Einstein here bought a box of Regular Colour B4. That'll do the trick, I thought.

Bring out the natural hair colour again and try to match that, I thought.

The instructions on the side of the box seemed to be so simple, I thought.

What could possibly go wrong?
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Yeah. :(

On opening the box, the simple instructions morphed into two sides of closely printed A4 with not very many pictures.

So tonight, I used the Colour B4, following the instructions to the letter.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Not only does it reek strongly of manky drains, not only is it messy and awkward to use (leave in for an hour, wrapping your head in clingfilm!), not only has it reduced the condition of my hair to straw, it has also exposed the peroxide damage that repeated hair dye use has wrought on my hair. :eek:

From the information inside the packet:-
Colour B4 (TM) can only remove artificial pigment from the hair. If your hair has been subjected to high lifting tints or bleaches your natural pigment has been lightened and altered. It will not be possible to restore your natural hair colour pigment by using Colour B4 (TM). In these instances (and if your original colour is desired) you should re-colour your hair (initially) using a semi-permanent hair colourant which is one shade lighter than your original colour.

In addition, all permanent and even semi-permanent hair colourants may contain peroxide. Even when a very dark or black result has been achieved, your own (natural) hair colour may have been lightened. Although most permanent hair colours (when darkening) only lighten by a tiny amount, there are some colourants which contain higher strengths of peroxide and lighten much more. If your hair has received multiple colour applications (either from permanent or semi-permanent products) it may have been exposed to peroxide on more than one occasion. Therefore (once you have successfully removed your unwanted hair colour) you may notice a warm, brassy, or even copper tone to the hair - which is often more predominant near the roots (due to heat from the scalp accelerating the previous colour). This can be remedied by applying a temporary hair colour in your desired shade. For results which are too warm for example honey or gold use a violet purple shampoo or for more intense coverage a red neutralising ash based toner. This counteracts the brightness of the gold or yellow hair colour.

I'm almost blonde!! :eek:

Imagine going from Julianne Moore to Chris Evans!!

My hair condition is wrecked, I'm a daft shade of wilted carrot and it'll be months before I see my natural colour coming through!!

If you're thinking of trying the stuff out, be warned. It is not the cure you think it might be.

It gets the dye out, sure enough, but it will not reveal your true hair colour.
:huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:

Comments

• choccyface2006
    Options
    My daughter used the frequent use one twice in two weeks and her looks great, much more her natural colour. Her bedroom smelt of rotten eggs for a few days though.

I used it and looked like Chris Evans too so coloured straight over but I didn't realise you shouldn't use a permanent colour and it went very dark before I'd even finished applying it, so back to square one. That was 8 weeks ago and my hair is in much better condition that when I first used it so I'm tempted to try again using a semi permanent and lighter brown to achieve the right colour.

Sarah
  • Solarjunkie
    Options
    Deal with things as they are, not as they should be.
  • summerspring
    summerspring Posts: 1,236 Forumite
    Options
    A cautionary tale..

ANYTHING that claims to get colour out of your hair is likely to be a bleach of some sort, hence your hair going a lighter shade of carroty ginger.

If you must colour your hair, get it done properly. Hairdressers are trained and experienced at colouring hair.
    The report button is for abusive posts, not because you don't like someone, or their opinions
  • Gingernutty
    Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A cautionary tale..

ANYTHING that claims to get colour out of your hair is likely to be a bleach of some sort, hence your hair going a lighter shade of carroty ginger.

If you must colour your hair, get it done properly. Hairdressers are trained and experienced at colouring hair.

Er, no.

The permanent hair dyes I've used have, unknown to me, contained peroxide. Repeated use of these dyes, has gradually lightened my hair even though the dyes I've used were relatively dark.

Colour B4 has chemically reacted to the accumulated dyes in my hair, to strip it of colour.

It's done that successfully, but my hair still bears the damage done to it by the peroxide.

Each time I've used these dyes I've gassed myself with ammonia and not realised there was peroxide - my fault, I didn't read the small print on the dye boxes.

My warning is, before using Colour B4 to strip the dye from your hair, think about what dyes you've used as it will do what it says on the tin but will leave you with hair that has been lightened by peroxide and in awful condition.
  • summerspring
    summerspring Posts: 1,236 Forumite
    Options
    Each time I've used these dyes I've gassed myself with ammonia and not realised there was peroxide - my fault, I didn't read the small print on the dye boxes.

No, you definitely don't want to mix ammonia with bleach :eek:

But as I say, a hairdresser is trained in colouring hair. They spend about 3 or 4 years learning the trade.
    The report button is for abusive posts, not because you don't like someone, or their opinions
  • supersaver2
    supersaver2 Posts: 977 Forumite
    Options
    My wife used this a few months back and the smell was hideous! Every time her hair was wet she stunk - she said never again and would never recommend it!
  • Gingernutty
    Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My wife used this a few months back and the smell was hideous! Every time her hair was wet she stunk - she said never again and would never recommend it!

Yup. It reeks. Rotten eggs and drains.

The bathroom hasn't recovered and like your wife, I'm catching a whiff of it when I move around with wet or dry hair - it's clinging! :eek:
  • cherryblossomzel
    Options
    I used it a few years ago and actually really loved the result. I did know how it worked (can't remember how I knew it though, I think I did lots of internet research) and that I could end up orange/too blonde, so was pretty careful with timings etc. I ended up a sort of golden blonde, which I really liked. It gradually got darker though.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ive used this product (well 6 boxes of it actually) and although it shifted the majority of the colour in my hair, it did leave warm tones in my hair.

The smell is absolutely awful but at least it didnt ruin the condition of my hair.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have used this and other colour strippers.

But because I had used reddish colours before. I did go ginger LOL!!!

I had to bleach the crap out of my hair a couple of times.

Then I could go the blonde colour I wanted to.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family