Making changes (added SOA)

Options
allthe7s
allthe7s Posts: 187 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 17 February 2017 at 9:17PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hi everyone

Been reading and posting a little bit for about a week now but now introduced myself yet.

I am here because I am sick of each month writing out my budget and thinking "crikey I should be loaded!" on paper I should have £££s left in the bank at the end of the month however in reality I just dont and am sick of being in my overdraft each and every month in the days leading up to payday.

Since the bew year I have cut my Costa habit :eek: which is saving me a fair whack however I am still not breaking even.

We are also moving house (fingers crossed) and doubling our mortgage this year so I want my bank statements to look a bit healthier and to have cleared my debt by the summer.

I have only included my own debt here, and my own income in the SOA I'll add later as my DH has not had hos LBM yet and still loves to move things onto 0% from here to there but then gets sidetracked paying it off. Once I have cleared my cards I will put my money towards our bigger card that he pays off. Its all under control though so no worries there.

Hopefully once I get YNAB up and running I will have more to throw at my cards each month and can start a savings pot for our lovely new home "extras"

Household Information[/b]
Number of adults in household........... 2
Number of children in household......... 2
Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 1041
Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
Benefits................................ 573
Other income............................ 80 (DH pays in the money for the Virgin bill)
Total monthly income.................... 1694

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 0 (DH pays this)
Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
Rent.................................... 0
Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
Council tax............................. 132 (paid over 10 months)
Electricity............................. 56.08 (£112 total for G&E)
Gas..................................... 56.08
Oil..................................... 0
Water rates............................. 45.02
Telephone (land line)................... 27 (£81 for BB,TV&Phone)
Mobile phone............................ 24 (dropping to £15 in May)
TV Licence.............................. 12.54
Satellite/Cable TV...................... 27
Internet Services....................... 27
Groceries etc. ......................... 436 (horrified by this, definitely cutting this down)
Clothing................................ 30
Petrol/diesel........................... 145
Road tax................................ 2.91 (£35 for the year)
Car Insurance........................... 64.35 (insurance & breakdown)
Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 15 (dont actually do this yet)
Car parking............................. 20
Other travel............................ 0
Childcare/nursery....................... 0
Other child related expenses............ 33.31 (average school dinner monthly)
Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 8.4
Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
Buildings insurance..................... 0
Contents insurance...................... 0
Life assurance ......................... 0
Other insurance......................... 17.99
Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 70 (not actually put away)
Haircuts................................ 6
Entertainment........................... 40
Holiday................................. 0
Emergency fund.......................... 0
Pet Food................................ 25
Total monthly expenses.................. 1321.68

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
House value (Gross)..................... 120000
Shares and bonds........................ 0
Car(s).................................. 7000
Other assets............................ 0
Total Assets............................ 127000

No Secured nor Hire Purchase Debts

Unsecured Debts
Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
Next...........................615.02....25........22
mbna hers......................1200.63...25........0 til Oct 18
San 1..........................84.13.....5.........18
San 2..........................297.......25........18
Total unsecured debts..........2196.78...80........-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 1,694
Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,321.68
Available for debt repayments........... 372.32
Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 80
Amount left after debt repayments....... 292.32

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
Total assets (things you own)........... 127,000
Total HP & Secured debt................. -0
Total Unsecured debt.................... -2,196.78
Net Assets.............................. 124,803.22

Created using the SOA calculator at https://www.stoozing.com.
Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.
[/font]
Preparing to go bankrupt April 2020

Comments

• angelpye
    angelpye Posts: 995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, well done on your LBM which I imagine is harder to reach with OH not et there yet.

Just a thought might be worth talking to OH about prospect of upping mortgage because when I did mortgage the affordability was really checked on spending habits and the amount of credit card debt I had removed the equivalent of 3 times the amount on cards to what they would loan me. So without the cards I could have borrowed much more and even though I agreed to pay cards off with sale of old house it still impacted. May motivate him to see this is actually a problem that needs dealing with now. I think 3 months bank statements were needed for affordability.

HTH. Good luck with journey :)
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: [STRIKE]Sept 2022[/STRIKE] April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6 :j
    EF £0/£4200
  • allthe7s
    Options
    Hi Angelpye

Wow how demotivating is seeing 160+ views and 1 reply, was starting to take it personally (only kidding)

Don't get me wrong DH is paying way more than the minimum off his card and catalogue its just theres more on his. Also we have paid off my cards and Next account several times over using his card so I want to do it for myself for once.

We can definitely get the mortgage we need but I know what you mean about the difference by not having the card, its about 80k more if he didnt have his 7k credit card! Crazy money! You wouldnt think it could have so much impact.

Thanks for the welcome ��
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Don't feel demotivated. It takes a few posts for folks to realise you exist.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Drawingaline
    Options
    I love YNAB, well done on getting everything sorted.:T
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    allthe7s wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Since the bew year I have cut my Costa habit :eek: which is saving me a fair whack

I swapped Costa Coffee morning Americano at £2.35 for either Greggs at £2.00 at most for a drink and a breakfast savoury (tea and croissant is £1.80 or a tea at our local station for £1. It is a lot quicker to get a free drink at either of those than at Costa too. Still got a treat but big reduction in spend there. (Obviously not as much as giving it up altogether but still a fair bit) I never have 5 visits to Greggs a week.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Your debt looks quite manageable. You mention an overdraft - is that the Santander debt?

If you are doubling your mortgage then yes it is a good idea to get a handle on it but if your OH has £7k on credit cards and is only juggling them not paying them off then he needs to get real. What does he think will happen when your mortgage repayments double and you have even less to play with?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ethranes
    Options
    Just curious, is YNAB useful in the UK, looking at the website everything is showing dollars.
    Debenhams CLEAR||AMEX CLEAR||Barclay Card CLEAR||Halifax CLEAR
    Council Tax 15/16/17 CLEAR
    Updated: 30/6/2017
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    allthe7s wrote: »

Wow how demotivating is seeing 160+ views and 1 reply, was starting to take it personally (only kidding)

Hi, You didn't ask any questions in your first post, so I wasn't sure what you wanted from us. You put (intro) after the title of your post so I assumed there was more to come. Also I didn't know if you needed help, or it is the start of a diary.

You seem to know what you are doing, so good luck on your debt free journey.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,879 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ilona wrote: »
    Hi, You didn't ask any questions in your first post, so I wasn't sure what you wanted from us. You put (intro) after the title of your post so I assumed there was more to come. Also I didn't know if you needed help, or it is the start of a diary.

You seem to know what you are doing, so good luck on your debt free journey.
    Ilona

Sorry OP,

Welcome to the forums !!

I thought the same as ILona as well.

Any other questions feel free to ask.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • allthe7s
    allthe7s Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi enthusiastic

Im struggling to quote for some reason, but in reply to your post the Santander is 2 credit cards and my overdraft is only ever about £10 so paid off when I get paid.

Our mortgage won't be going up that much really as we are currently stuck on a high rate with Nram who we will be leaving. Don't get me wrong about DH, he is paying it back, he pays about £300 a month and its on 0%.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport