Default Notice

Options
seanavfc92
seanavfc92 Posts: 231 Forumite
edited 21 August 2014 at 7:47AM in Debt-free wannabe
Long story short, I moved out of a flat in the middle of April. During my tenancy on said flat, I had contents insurance with Paymentshield. When I left that property, I had never received a renewal notice to say the agreement would be extended. Assumed that was that and took out new contents insurance with the estate agents I'm renting my new place with.

Fast forward three months and I got letters saying I was in arrears by £16.09. Rang them straight away and explained the situation. They told me they'd send some form out for me to fill in and return for a refund. During that call I cancelled the policy, which they were fine about.

Two/three weeks later they sent me a default notice! Rang them to kick off about it and they said they'd look into it for me. Due a call back tomorrow from them.

What's the best way to deal with this? A default notice for £16, how stupid!
"No sacrifice, no victory"
- Transformers (2007)

Comments

• ChopinonaBudget
    Options
    Hi, didn't want to read and run. I can't offer any constructive advice I'm afraid, I'm sure someone else will do that, but just to let you know the same sort of thing happened to me a few years ago. I got a default notice on my credit file from orange for £4 (honestly)because they gave me the wrong closing bill amount for my mobile. It took a good few phone calls but they did sort it out and the default disappeared as promised.

In our house, when things break, we just pretend they still work
  • jodles16
    jodles16 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Hopefully the phone call tomorrow will sort things out, stick to your guns!
    Good luck, Jodles:o
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
  • seanavfc92
    Options
    So the phone call resolved absolutely nothing.

In fact, they didn't even phone me back like they would... TWICE.

Going to be speaking to them and putting a formal complaint in!
    - Transformers (2007)
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Sean

Paymentshield should make you aware of this anyway in the normal course of things, but you can escalate your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman should it become necessary. Good luck getting it resolved.

Dennis
    Twitter: @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • seanavfc92
    Options
    Hi Sean

Paymentshield should make you aware of this anyway in the normal course of things, but you can escalate your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman should it become necessary. Good luck getting it resolved.

Dennis
    Twitter: @natdebtline

This has been ongoing now for over two months, I think I can hear the FOS calling!
    - Transformers (2007)
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't think you are going to get anywhere to be honest.

You assumed that things were okay, you didn't check. You should have rung them to make sure they had your new address.
    The policy would probably have been on auto renew which you would have agreed to when you first signed up for it.

You agreed that you owed the money so the default will very likely be on there for 6 years.

But, you never know and I wish you luck.

But
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This has been ongoing now for over two months, I think I can hear the FOS calling!

You cannot go to the FOS without making a complaint to Paymentshield first.

Technically, paymentshield have done nothing wrong. You made an incorrect assumption and you never told them to cancel. However, they are pretty good company and for £16, I wouldnt be surprised if they wiped it once you make your complaint. However, do be aware that you are effectively asking them for a goodwill gesture as it is your own fault. So, use a tone of language that reflects that.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure