PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Duvet dilemma

Options

Comments

• tizerbelle
    tizerbelle Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My washer has a 7kg drum and I can wash the 4.5tog king size duvet in it. It won't take the 10.5 tog king size one though.

After paying exorbitant amounts to get the 10.5 one cleaned, I ditched it and now have 2 x 4.5 tog duvets that can be washed at home as often as wanted. The plan is to use both (in separate covers) if it gets cold - think I bought the second one over 18 months ago and don't recall ever having to use it yet!
  • Slowly57
    Options
    I have a wool duvet (Google Baavet), a pillow each and a mattress topper. They cost a lot (even from the bargain box it took some saving for) but they are fab. I drape the duvet/topper over my washing line/gate to air in the sun - the pillows go in the washing machine. They are very different to poly/feather ones! They did have a bit of a 'wool' smell at first - but this goes with airing and use. I figured out I'd probably spend as much over 10 years on supermarket ones (watch out for cheapy wool duvets that have a layer of plastic and a poly cotton instead of a cambric cover). They have been fine with a quilted cotton throw on top - throw only for super-humid nights/throw over and tucked around the foot of the bed for super-cold nights (to stop it getting wound around my OH while I lay there freezing lol).
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
  • Margaret_
    Options
    ripplyuk wrote: »

Or, should I just buy new ones instead of washing them? Would yearly be ok to replace it, or would that be a bit too 'dirty'?

I replace the winter one yearly though not really through choice. Personally I'd prefer washing it and think a year is a bit long, but my OH has terrible allergic reactions and the last time we tried new washing powder he was off work for two days. Our summer one is cheap and very light and so washable in our machine but the winter one would need to go to the launderette which feels too risky. I feel it's a bit wasteful to throw things out if there is an alternative and I think you can tell a difference between very cheap and good quality duvets too so I'd rather have a good quality one and wash it if that was an option.

I think you might be able to wash the 4 tog one in your own machine which would save a bit and then take the winter one to the launderette - that might be a good compromise?
    Oct GC £19.65/£45
    OS Weight Loss 4lbs/12lbs
  • We have a continental king size bed but can't share a duvet because we like to sleep at different temperatures. We have 2 x single quilts, I have a 2.5 tog one for spring and autumn and he has a 4.5 tog one. In the summer we sleep with just the quilt cover (south Hants gets very warm) and for the winter I have a lightweight wool duvet. We've got round the colder months problems by investing in heavy pure wool blamkets which we put on top of the quilts in the depths of winter, works well for us. I have a big old ottoman chest in our room where the extras live when we're not actually using them. The single quilts fit happily in the drum of my washing machine but I wouldn't wash the wool one, that gets aired every week over the bannisters in the winter and on the clothes line in the garden at all other times as long as it's dry.
  • Slowly57
    Options
    If you ever come across woollen cellular blankets (Whitney) - they are brilliant - lovely to sleep on top of or under - keep you cool or warm (science lol). I've had a few from charity shops that have obvs just been chucked in a washer and come out 'hard'. A wash using cheapo hair conditioner instead of detergent and fab conditioner on a wool cycle or handwash in the sink usually works (fine for jumpers too) to revive. I always try this on wool as there's nothing to lose - revived a 20p mangled Pringle jumper doing this. Took two handwashes but looks good as new now.
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've noticed Spundown duvets, which apparently can be washed at 60 Celsius in any domestic machine. I'm thinking of getting the all seasons one and washing the two parts separately.

Or, there's wool duvets from Baavet etc, which they say do not need washed at all. That sounds good but I know I'd want to get it washed and then it would probably be ruined.

Has anyone used either of these?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My 7.5 tog double quilt gets chucked in the washer and drier. Wouldnt want to put anything in of a higher tog though because of the weight on the washer bearings.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    Well, I too have one of those that you attach together for winter - and I have to say (feeling dreadful here) that I don't wash them either. They do go in an 'under case' (aka an old duvet)
  • astrocat
    Options
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    I've noticed Spundown duvets, which apparently can be washed at 60 Celsius in any domestic machine. I'm thinking of getting the all seasons one and washing the two parts separately.

I have Spundown duvets (the two-part 4.5 and 10.5 tog) and pillows and can highly recommend them. They go in the washing machine with no problem and dry pretty quickly too. Have had them for around 10 years now and they are still OK!
    ac
  • Golightly72
    Options
    I have summer/winter 10 tog and 4.5 tog duvets, and I wash them once a year.

The 4.5 tog goes in the machine, and I hand wash the 10 tog in the bath as it won't fit in the machine.

I just fill the bath with hot water and washing powder, let it soak for a few hours, giving it a bit of a swish with a wooden spoon now and then. Then drain the water, and refill without wash powder, letting it rinse a bit, then rinsing under the cold tap as much as I can. Then I leave it to drain in the bath overnight and hang it out the next day. It can still be quite wet so I pick a really hot day for drying it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure