The Great 'Energy & MoneySaving' Hunt

Options

Comments

• penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try a Remoska.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • willdashwood
    Options
    I had a new central heating system installed in my current house 2 years ago and I'm just about to have another installed in my new house. When I chose the boiler for the current house I made sure it was high efficiency and quite powerful in order to give a high flow rate to the shower. What I didn't pay attention to was the fact it had a big 12 litre internal reservoir. The idea is that it keeps the water in there warm so you get hot water out of the tap quickly.

Sounds like a good idea, as it minimises the water you would normally waste as you wait for it to get hot enough. However, all throughout the summer when the heating was completely turned off the boiler kept kicking in every hour or so to keep the water in this reservoir hot even though I didn't need hot water. Very wasteful use of gas and I've yet to find out how to turn it off but I'm making sure the boiler in the new house doesn't have a reservoir and depending on how you use water in your house I'd recommend the same for anyone replacing their central heating/boiler.
  • Richard741
    Options
    As nij420 says, not sure how much it saves, but I always charge my phone, batteries etc during the evening. That way I can switch it off when it's done without leaving it on all night needlessly. I probably heard about it on MSE! I am very worried about energy saving bulbs though. They contain mercury which IS NOT environmentally friendly so I wonder what will happen years from now when people have to throw these away. Will they go into landfill sights and leach mercury into the land?
    I've run long term tests on the more modern phone chargers using a plug-in power and energy monitor from Maplin. I left the charger plugged in without the phone connected to it for three days with no consumption reading at all. So maybe the latest ones don't consume electricity when no phone is attached.
  • welshog8
    Options
    Having studied Geography at Uni our lecturer was always passing on her energy saving (tight wad) tips so here they are:
    1. Never fill the kettle right up. Whats the point in boiling loads of water for one cup of tea?
    2. Save your christmas cards and make them into gift tags using a funky scissors for the following year.
    3. Don't send christmas cards - saves time, effort and the environment.
    4. If you have to use carrier bags then save them to use as bin liners (I haven't bought any for years)
    Hope this helps!
  • Maddie
    Maddie Posts: 858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cwp500 wrote: »
    The real worry here is hygiene as reservoirs of menstrual blood are a rich soup for bacteria.

No guarantees that Toxic shock syndrome, vaginal thrush and yeast infections are reduced unless strict hygiene is maintained on the mooncup.
    The cash savings are surely not outweighed by the possible complications that may ensue from improper use.

Illnesses from tampon use are rare. There is no statistical body of evidence available to recommend the use of mooncups for long periods. The one size fits all approach seems to be highly unsuitable for women who have very heavy periods or women whose periods are erratic and spotty.

Please dont use this site as a knowledge source. Dont forget BOOts are a business not a medical agency.

I'd advise anyone interested in a mooncup not to be too daunted by this post and to do their own research. This is from the mooncup website (www.mooncup.uk);

"The Mooncup menstrual cup contains no bleaches, deodorisers or absorbency gels. It does not interfere with your healthy vaginal environment, nor has it been associated with toxic shock syndrome.

The smooth surface of the Mooncup allows the mucus membranes of your vaginal wall to continue their essential cleansing and protective functions. The Mooncup does not absorb your body's natural defence mechanisms and will not deposit fibres in your vaginal wall.

For your safety the Mooncup is made from a special medical grade non-allergic silicone. Silicone is derived from silica which is one of the most abundant minerals on earth.

It will not cause irritation and is suitable for women with sensitive skin, thrush, eczema or allergy.

The Mooncup can be cleaned in the same way as baby equipment: with sterilising fluid, or by boiling for five minutes in an open pan of water."

There are two sizes available, so you're statement that there is a one-size fits all approach simply demonstrates that you've not done your research.

I would say the fact that it is now sold in Boots probably gives some comfort, as I'm sure they did lots of research themselves to avoid being associated with a dangerous or simply disfunctional product. Also remember that all the other sanitary product companies are businesses not medical agengies, and therefore have a self interest in persuading women that menstruation is dirty and all sanitary products should be disposable!

Finally, I'd also recommend reusable sanitary towels such as these: www.weenotions.co.uk/
    Proud to be a moneysaver! :cool:
  • lmc201
    Options
    [Has anyone tried out the new kettle that boils in 3 seconds? Apparantly you keep cold water in a tank on it, press a button and as the water is pumped to the spout, it goes through a heating element. As it only boils water as you use it, it saves energy. I think these are expensive, but not heard how they work.[/quote]

yes I have and it's good very quick. I work in a hospital and we have bigger versions there and get annoyed at friends SLOW kettles cause I'm so used to having boiling water on tap!

It is noisy though but think it's worth it up to you:confused:

we got it on offer from COSTCO for £40 not cheap but save electricity.

P.S. I buy all my washing powder, toilet rolls, kitchen towels, anything you can get in bulk really cheap from Costco search on the web and see if theirs one near you and if you work for the council or a hospital or have your own business you can get a card (up to three per member) for about £27 a year I think.:money:

P.P.S.this is my first post woo hoo!!
  • ydraigcoch
    Options
    I have found that using my Wood Burning Stove in the living Room is the cheapest form of heating! Infact its more or less free! I just get dead wood from the local woods and in it goes. You wouldn't believe the amount of heat generated in the house. You can also boil a kettle on top of it in no time.

OK I know its not very friendly to the environment, but it is friendly on the wallet!
  • atomic_elk
    Options
    If you've got a gas hob, a tip I've picked up from a friend is to boil a kettle on this rather than use an electric kettle. I confess I haven't monitored it closely but it's meant to save money as gas is cheaper.
  • krishna
    krishna Posts: 818 Forumite
    Options
    I am very worried about energy saving bulbs though. They contain mercury which IS NOT environmentally friendly so I wonder what will happen years from now when people have to throw these away. Will they go into landfill sights and leach mercury into the land?

They can be recycled but it's not easy. I believe Ikea and B&Q will both take them back to do this.
  • kay41_2
    kay41_2 Posts: 179 Forumite
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned slow cookers. I bought one last year and find it brillliant for making soups, chillis, spag bol and stews. It takes a bit of practice to get the proportions right, as you use less liquid, but I am so chuffed with mine. My husband gets a batch of beef stew cooked for him and put in the freezer, as I don't eat it. I love the fact that you just bung in all the ingredients and leave it. Mine cost about £20.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure