CCJ - Lowell/Nationwide Advice Needed Please

Options
Good Afternoon,

I am after some advice if anybody can offer me some it would be greatly appreciated:

I had a Nationwide account some years ago (opened in 2004) It was a basic cardcash account and only opened to take advantage that their debit cards didnt charge for cash withdrawals abroad, I barely used the account and somehow it went overdrawn (by about £25 if i remember correctly)....Anyways i just left the account and thought it would not be a problem as at some point I might decide to use it again.

FAST FORWARD 10 years

I received a letter on 08/09/2014 from BW leagal acting on behalf of Lowell Portfolio saying they were chasing the debt owed to the Nationwide for £266.93!! and if I dont reply within 14 days they will start legal proceedings...I ignored this letter thinking this was from years ago.

Now on 25/09/2014 I receive a letter/claim from Northampton County Court saying BW legal are claiming £288.89...Plus fee's (£75) from me.

I have logged on and completed the acknowledgment form online within the 14 days but what now?

A) I think this debt may be too old to enforce?!

and

B) I believe this amount to me made up of nearly all in fees/charges added by nationwide over the years?!

Comments

• happy_bunny_2
    Options
    If you haven't acknowledged the debt in writing or paid anything to it, it's statute barred. That is your defence. They have to prove it isn't and sometimes try and make up payments. No idea if they would try and lie to a court though.
    :beer:
  • bellatinks76
    Options
    I've also received a letter from Lowell Portfolio today, they're acting on behalf of T Mobile.

I owe T Mobile £28.20 from 5 years ago. I wasn't aware of this until about 2 years ago when I did a credit check and it came up on that. I tried to dispute it at the time saying that as the bill was paid through direct debit T Mobile must of cancelled it wrongly. I also stated that I wasn't even aware of owing money.

I've now had this new letter (the first time that I've been made aware of this debt) saying that if I don't pay within 7 days they'll pass me on to Lowell Financial Ltd to recover what I owe.

I know it's not much but I don't want to pay this out of principal, as T Mobile never asked me for money. Who is this new company, should I just pay it???
  • happy_bunny_2
    Options
    They are a debt collector.

Write and tell them to prove you owe the money.

They will likely send some generic statement that proves nothing. If so, complain, in writing stating you require proper evidence.
    :beer:
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi blacksheep9

Yes, argument (A) is the relevant one here by the look of it. If you can successfully defend the debt on the basis that it is statute barred, argument (B) doesn't matter.

For guidance on the wording of your defence, you may find it useful to refer to our fact sheet on the Limitations Act:

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/25%20EW%20Time%20limits%20for%20recovering%20debts/Default.aspx

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Lensman_2
    Lensman_2 Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would also search on CAG or Legal Beagles. There seems to be a standard defence to a claim on a statute barred debt.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,920 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Lensman wrote: »
    I would also search on CAG or Legal Beagles. There seems to be a standard defence to a claim on a statute barred debt.

Here's the link to Legal Beagles :

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/forum.php
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • NK12
    Options
    Hello

I am new to this forum and looking for urgent help.

I had signed up for a mobile network provider in 2007 and in 2012 i cancelled my contract over the telephone as I had to leave the country for my treatment as I was terminally ill. I thought of continuing the contract and hence kept my direct debit still going- however, due to dispute with the charges for receiving messages on wats app etc which was double the amount of actual contract I call the network provider and disputed the charges and being informed otherwise by their customer service advisor before leaving the country. Although, I had been a very loyal customer for 5 years and never missed a single payment they didn't seem to bother much initially. However, after a few phone calls they agreed to close the contract in november 2012 (this was done over the telephone). As was not in the right state of mind due to all the medication and chemo therapy I didn't think if getting a written confirmation. :(

After that I received a couple of letters from a DCA called Moorfcraft. So I called them and explained the situation and they agreed with everything and apologized and said they would close the account on their system too.

Now after 2 years I have returned to the UK and last week I received a letter from Lowell saying they have bought my account from T-mobile on a dodgy T-mobile letter head (printed on a printer at Lowell office). And it the letter from Lowell mentions I owe them XXX amount for the cancellation of contract and xxx amount for airtime.

I called them to dispute this and told them what had happened. They immediately accepted to cancel the xxx debt for airtime. However, they said I would need to pay for early termination of contract.

I asked them to then send me all the documents/agreements they have from t-mobile for the same- however, they just sent a second letter just splitting down the 2 cost's. As far as I remember I was on a rolling contract at this point of time of my contract and hence t-mobile didn't bother asking for a termination fee.

I am currently 5 months pregnant and these horrible letters from lowell are really stressing me out.

Please can someone suggest what should I do?

Reading a few different websites I have gathered that Lowell are chancer's and can be fraud too.

I have decided to write to them regarding CCA request as below:

I acknowledge the letter from you dated xx October 2014. However, as discussed over the telephone I do not acknowledge any debt to your company or T-mobile.

With reference to the above reference, I require you to supply the following documentation before I will correspond with you further on this matter.

1. You must supply me with a true copy of the alleged agreement you refer to. This is my right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement, under the legislation contained within s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974.

2. A full statement of account.

3. A signed true copy of the deed of assignment of the above referenced agreement that you allege exists.

4. A copy of any other documents referred to in the agreement.

I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (Sections 77-79), I am entitled to receive a copy of our credit agreement on request. I enclose a payment of £1.00 which represents the fee payable under the Consumer Credit Act. Please note that under no circumstances should this payment be set aside any alleged debt. If you are unable to supply the documentation requested, this fee should be returned.

I understand a copy of our credit agreement should be supplied within 12 working days. If this information is not provided within 12 working days the debt becomes unenforceable. This means a creditor cannot:

◦ make the debtor pay the debt before they're supposed to
    ◦ get a court judgment against the debtor

I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act creditors are unable to enforce an agreement if they fail to comply with a request for a copy of the agreement under these sections of the Act.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Can someone please suggest if this is the right thing to do or any other suggestions are welcome?

Many Thanks
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,578 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Consumer Credit Act does not apply to mobile phone contracts

This needs to be a new post really
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,920 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,
    As Fatbelly says the CCA does not apply to mobile contracts.
    There is no formal paper contract anymore either, you are deemed to of accepted the contract by using your mobile phone, so basically all they could potentially send you are copies of airtime bills.

There are two mobile ombudsman services that deal with mobile phone complaints, you will find more details here :

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/action/how-to-complain-to-the-ombudsman-about-a-mobile-phone-provider
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • NK12
    NK12 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 26 October 2014 at 7:20PM
    Options
    Thanks very much for the info Fatbelly and Sourcrates..

So will these airtime bills be enough for them to prove that I owe them the termination fee too? Sorry if I am being a bit daft.. however, I have never been in this situation before (Hope I never will again!)

And obviously the letter I have posted earlier won't work. Any suggestions on what can I ask them for instead to prove this?

Can I ask them for SAR using below letter template?

Dear Sir or Madam

Subject access request

Re: Account number xxxxx

Please supply the information about me I am entitled to under the Data Protection Act 1998 relating to:

• My personnel file
    • Copies of all statements (between) held in account number).

If you need any more information from me, or a fee, please let me know as soon as possible.

It may be helpful for you to know that a request for information under the Data Protection Act 1998 should be responded to within 40 days.

If you do not normally deal with these requests, please pass this letter to your Data Protection Officer. If you need advice on dealing with this request, the Information Commissioner’s Office can assist you and can be contacted on 0303 123 1113

Yours faithfully

Thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family