DIY drawdown

Hi,
First time poster so please be gentle!

I am helping my father arrange his pension and would like to see if the DIY drawdown route is an option for us.

He currently has a pension pot of about £265000 and is planning on taking 25% lump sum. He will be left with a pot of about £200000. He understands the annuity options but likes the idea of keeping control of the capital and having it in drawdown.

His aim is to receive about £500/month drawdown income without eroding the capital. It would want to be pretty low risk and quite stable.

We have spoken to an IFA who has put together a drawdown plan for him however the charges add up to quite a lot. The IFA fee is 0.75% which would be £1500/year or 25% of the income! Obviously there are platform and fund charges also but these would be applicable anywhere.

If you think his aim is achievable can you suggest a portfolio that might achieve this. I would probably invest through hargreaves lansdown as i already use them and don't think they are a rip off even if not the cheapest.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I would be tempted to lower costs by drawing down once a year, and then spending the money at the rate of £500/month. It could be kept earning interest in the meantime in an interest-bearing current account e.g. at Santander.

I'm a great fan of HL, but they are a bit pricey for £200k.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 November 2014 at 1:08PM
    He currently has a pension pot of about £265000 and is planning on taking 25% lump sum.

Why is he planning to crystallise the whole pot? What is going to happen to that 25%?
    We have spoken to an IFA who has put together a drawdown plan for him however the charges add up to quite a lot. The IFA fee is 0.75% which would be £1500/year or 25% of the income!

setting the fee against the income is not a good way of looking at it. It is set against the value. 0.5% would be closer to the mark. Whilst DIY does not have an adviser charge, the HL charges are higher than what the IFA would arrange.

The issue over advice or DIY is whether you are able to DIY successfully. Its not just a case of putting the money into drawdown and sitting back doing nothing. He will have to pick his investment strategy (there are several viable methods for drawdown), review, rebalance (taking account the near future withdrawals) and make sure he does the withdrawals in the most tax efficient manner. Plus, it is investing within his risk tolerance and capacity for loss.

Plenty of people DIY successfully but plenty make a pigs ear of it or go on to find they get bored with it and dont give the portfolio the attention it needs. So, if he can DIY, then thats fine. If he cant, then it could be an expensive mistake.
    It would want to be pretty low risk and quite stable.

For an adviser, that statement would set alarm bells ringing. The regulator and ombudsman treat drawdown as a high risk transaction. It really depends on how much other secure income he has and his expenditure and how much he can afford for his income to be variable. (There may well come a time in the future when his income will need to drop. Can he afford to do that?).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    He currently has a pension pot of about £265000 and is planning on taking 25% lump sum. He will be left with a pot of about £200000. He understands the annuity options but likes the idea of keeping control of the capital and having it in drawdown. ... His aim is to receive about £500/month drawdown income without eroding the capital.
    Easy part first. That's an income target of 3% of the capital value. That's roughly the same as the dividend yield of the FTSE All Share Index, which long term pays in total about 5% plus inflation. So he can reasonably anticipate in average conditions to increase the £500 with inflation and see the capital value growing by 2% a year or so, after deducting something for costs.

Average conditions is important. markets don't give average performance, they have ups and downs. this is OK but he should be prepared to decrease the income target, or not increase it, if markets start a major downturn just after he retires. however, since he's only planning to take about average FTSE income he's already well protected against this risk, since he won't need to draw on capital.

If he wanted to take more than the natural income he should do something like keeping a year to three years of anticipated income in a savings account or other fixed interest paying places that are accessible, so he could maintain the income without having to sell the capital during a downturn. He'd also need to be willing to drop income target if the downturn started soon after retiring and was sustained long term. even taking just the natural income some of this is desirable to protect against a sustained drop in dividends.
    It would want to be pretty low risk and quite stable.
    the income from the FTSE would be quite stable but it would be a good idea to diversify with a substantial portion in global equity funds. This is because markets often move out of sync with each other, so it'll reduce volatility, the routine ups and downs.

Beyond that are other types of investment than equities. For equities in big markets he should expect a drop of 20% a few times a decade and a drop of 40% once or twice a decade. With recoveries in between that generate long term that 5% plus inflation a year gain I mentioned. It's traditional and often desirable to use non-equity investments like bonds, commercial property and perhaps other things that move up and down less than equities. There's a bit of a catch at the moment because bond prices are quite high, so global and UK commercial property at a higher than usual weighting might be a good substitute for a while.

Really we'd need to know what risks he's trying to reduce. Equities reduce the long term risk of failing to maintain the capital value but have the highest commonly used volatility. If he can deal with what they do a pretty high equity portion - say only 10% bonds - would in theory be good if he expects to be retired for say 30-40 years. More bonds at lower anticipated lifespans.
    I would probably invest through hargreaves lansdown as i already use them and don't think they are a rip off even if not the cheapest.
    They are pretty expensive for a pot of £200,000. £900 a year if you don't get a discount. You could probably free up an extra £50 a month of income by shopping around and maybe using a place that is cheap to hold with few trades if that is what you expect to do. You could also invite HL to make an offer of say 0.3% capped at £400 to have the business. They do this sort of negotiating/offering for some departing customers and there's no harm in seeing if they will do it to get the business and perhaps come back with something that's still a lot cheaper than £900 a year.

Dunstonh asked about the lump sum and it's a very good question. It's easy to get 10% or more from some P2P investing places in interest and 5-6% is even more readily available. Taxable. This sort of thing can add very useful diversification and higher income than natural equity dividends, if used as an appropriate portion of the total investments, and not concentrated in just one P2P firm either.
  • Thanks for the replies. You have all given me some really useful information and some great ideas for additional research.

He is going to use the lump sum towards buying a new tractor! He is a farmer and so never going to actually retire. He earns plenty compared to his expenditure so didn't really need much additional income. His father died about 2 years after drawing his pension so he has been put off annuities.

When i say reduce risk i just mean a diversified portfolio. He had a bad experience about 20 years ago when somebody got him to invest £10k in some shares, they then dropped about 20% in a few months, he got worried and cashed out. He was left very skeptical about investing in anything share related. (I did explain that this is where Aviva have been holding his current pension pot which has performed very well but i don't think it quite sunk in!)

He would be perfectly happy if the money could be held in a fixed rate savings account and would just spend the interest. Is this possible whilst the pot is still within a pension? There are accounts paying 3% fixed 5 years and this would be fine for him.

It sounds like it could just be best to try and negotiate with the IFA to get his fees down (0.5% per year achievable?).

Again, thanks for the really comprehensive replies. You are a very kind bunch!
  • dunstonh
    His father died about 2 years after drawing his pension so he has been put off annuities.

Annuities have had death protection on them as an option for many years. The changes coming actually improve the death benefits as the restricted options, which were set in legislation, are being removed.
    He had a bad experience about 20 years ago when somebody got him to invest £10k in some shares, they then dropped about 20% in a few months, he got worried and cashed out. He was left very skeptical about investing in anything share related. (I did explain that this is where Aviva have been holding his current pension pot which has performed very well but i don't think it quite sunk in!)

This is how his drawdown pot will be as well. A 20-40% drop is quite possible (indeed, if we look back over the last 15 years, he would have gone through multiple drops in excess of 20%).
    He would be perfectly happy if the money could be held in a fixed rate savings account and would just spend the interest.
    Which of course introduces new risks and would likely to be the worst option going.
    Is this possible whilst the pot is still within a pension?
    Possible yes but a bad idea.
    There are accounts paying 3% fixed 5 years and this would be fine for him.

he would be guaranteeing loss of money choosing that option. The losses in real terms would be far greater than any 20% loss on investments.
    It sounds like it could just be best to try and negotiate with the IFA to get his fees down (0.5% per year achievable?).

0.5% is the most common level of ongoing charge.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Whilst DIY does not have an adviser charge, the HL charges are higher than what the IFA would arrange.
    Oh really? You've just been posting in another thread where the OP was quoted a charge of 2.75%, of which 0.75% was the adviser fee, so 2% was fund & platform.

So how do you know this OP's IFA will arrange anything cheaper than HL? Or do you think HL's typical charge is over 2% for fund and platform :rotfl:
  • zagfles
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    I would be tempted to lower costs by drawing down once a year, and then spending the money at the rate of £500/month. It could be kept earning interest in the meantime in an interest-bearing current account e.g. at Santander.

I'm a great fan of HL, but they are a bit pricey for £200k.
    Could probably negotiate a lower charge with them.

See http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5120535
  • HarryD
    HarryD Posts: 115 Forumite
    jamesd wrote: »
    For equities in big markets he should expect a drop of 20% a few times a decade and a drop of 40% once or twice a decade. With recoveries in between that generate long term that 5% plus inflation a year gain I mentioned.

Very true, and one sees lots of posts mentioning that markets periodically have these 20% or even 40% crashes. What one sees less often is the effect this has on dividends.

I can't find the data - maybe someone can point to it. But suppose you had owned a UK All Share Tracker for the past 30 years and had been living off the dividend. How has the dividend per unit changed over that period? Specifically, how much has the dividend per unit fallen when markets have crashed?
  • dunstonh
    Or do you think HL's typical charge is over 2% for fund and platform
    It can be very easily.
    So how do you know this OP's IFA will arrange anything cheaper than HL?

On a like for like basis it can be.
  • zagfles
    dunstonh wrote: »
    It can be very easily.
    Example? Preferably using the sort of pot size the OP has.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure