FTB Single Applicant?

Options
Evening - looking for some advice,

We do have a broker - but kind of pulling hair out bit as it seems like our broker has exhausted all options for us now...

Background info -

My credit history is very good and no issues
Partners history has 2 defaults that are settled, recent bounced direct debits & missed payments :(

We have so far applied for 3 high street lenders and been rejected because of partners history for 1 or more reasons. We have just been told we cannot apply for 3 of the brokers preferred adverse credit lenders because they do not accept buyers who are in their probation period (partner).

So were in a bit of a pickle and I'm thinking about applying for the mortgage on my own with H2B

Our deposit £34,000
H2B £48,000
House Value £240,000
65% ish LTV

Currently I am earning £35k with £100 a month cc bills, and £225 for a purchase hire car

Does anyone have any experience going alone? Thinking this might be our last option so any suggestions would be great!!
Finally completed on our new home
Cladding Scandal Activist

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    any debts yourself?? The affordability is really at it's limits, especially with your commitments for the car.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • crystalpinks
    Options
    Try the help to buy affordability calculator, I would have thought you'd be a bit short, but I may be wrong
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I understand you are frustrated but going it alone is not going to work. Your Broker has experience in this field, you have none.

You are presenting to Lenders as new in a job and on probation (so no guaranteed employment), and unable to meet your credit bills or manage your Bank Account.

Time is your greatest weapon here and perhaps you should take a step back until you are confirmed in employment and paying your bills in full and on time.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    amnblog wrote: »

You are presenting to Lenders as new in a job and on probation (so no guaranteed employment), and unable to meet your credit bills or manage your Bank Account.

Seems to me that a single application would eliminate all the points you raise?
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Our poster does not earn enough for a single application, without other complications of such an approach.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,614 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    So £158k mortgage on a £35k salary? I think you fail affordability as if you have credit card debts they take 5% of the total balance off your salary and the car will also be deducted. Depending on the total balance of your CC debts you may be judged as only having a £31k salary which falls a fair bit short of the normal 4 to 4.5 times multipliers. What does your broker say about a single application and is your partner happy to not have their name on property? Is the H2B affected if just you applying.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • firstbuyer
    firstbuyer Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 24 March 2018 at 2:31PM
    Options
    Thanks for the replies

I've spoken to our broker who thinks I might have a good chance on my own I just need to cough up more deposit - which I have just needed to sweet talk parents!

We're now looking at a £49,000 deposit which brings our LTV to under 50%. £143k mortgage

In terms of H2B they're saying that we can state 33% of my partners earnings? Anyone know about this?

Thanks again
  • walkersneed
    walkersneed Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 24 March 2018 at 3:33PM
    Options
    I have a salary slightly lower than yours, with loan repayments of £200 monthly, no credit card balance, and Natwest gave me a mortgage offer for £155,000, so slightly less than 4.85 x my income.

Perhaps look into RBS/Natwest? They seem to have a sliding scale of income multiples, with 4 x for a certain customer type, and 4.85 x for other customer types. Whereas TSB (for example) has a hard 4.5 x income multiple policy, as far as I can tell.

It was hard for me to find a lender that would offer 4.75x or 4.85x, as that's what I needed. I would suggest using lenders' affordability calculators for intermediaries as they seem to be very good at predicting how much they can lend, provided you input the correct information. But if you have a partner you may also want to read in full their lending criteria, as they may not be okay with having your partner in the house but not on the mortgage. So your options would be limited.

If you don't have the time to do the research on your own, perhaps finding a good broker to do the legwork would be a better idea. I am slightly neurotic and don't trust people to do the best job at finding me a good deal that fits my needs, but ymmv.
  • firstbuyer
    firstbuyer Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I mean I am struggling leaving it in the brokers hand - just because I think I can do it all myself (even though I really couldn't:rotfl:)

I'm going to wait to speak to the broker when they're back in and try to get the application sorted on my own. They said it would be a good route to go down - just not sure where this would leave us with the property and if it affects ownership etc.

This has been informative anyway - thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family