used Wooden Pallets

Options
Hi all.. We are a very elderly retired couple who have just taken over an allotment..There is a very delapitated shed on site and because of costs to repair normally , we are looking to use a few wooden pallets to improve it.
We live Truro Cornwall and would appreciate any help/guidance to where these might be locally sourced..Thanks..Norm

Comments

• silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have a mooch around your local trading estates and just ask where you seem them piled up outside. Plumbers merchants are another potential source.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Also looking for 'spare' wood.

I'm currently trying to make floor sections for a cat rescue charity I volunteer at. They have about 400ft2 of gravel under their pens, which the cats don't like too much, and makes cleaning trickier. They also have a budget of less than £0 after paying for new structures and expensive op.

I've split up some pallets, to make some flooring sections, but that's slow and a lot of the wood isn't useable. I've also found some old boards of mine, and had some off-cuts of MDF from Homebase, and have been told to pop back before 'collection day' next Friday, for other waste boards.

Also looked into OSB panels as a cheap solution, but not as cheap as I expected.

Any other thoughts, suggestions for floor sections, perhaps 4by2 foot?

I'm going to pop to B&Q later and ask if they have any spare waste wood. Will take the guide dog we are currently boarding for a small amount of emotional blackmail ;)

Also, it would be a nice surprise for the lady who runs the charity if I could paint all the boards purple (she's a bit nuts about purple ???), any thoughts or tricks on getting/making cheap purple paint?

Any thoughts or ideas welcome.

Many thanks.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Options
    Try Freegle, we regularly get pallets offered on our local group.
  • safestored4
    safestored4 Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    Our allotment site is close to a large local builders merchants. They are quite happy to give us pallets for free. They end up burning them otherwise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure